Photos from my recent ride across Wales

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fausto copy

Re: Photos from my recent ride across Wales

Post by fausto copy »

raybo wrote:.

When I got to the turn-off, I gave it a look and decided the A road option wasn't so bad, so I'd keep on it.

Yes, great photos and thankfully we've experienced most of those views on our tours.
The picture shown brought back some happy memories though. Mrs.Copy and I cycled from Pembrokeshire up to Carnarvon on our tandem a few years ago and took Route 8 from Corris over the mountain. That section is probably the steepest track we've ever tackled. There was no way we could ride it, even with our super-low granny gears. However, pushing the fully loaded tandem was agony. We could only walk 10 paces at a time as our calf muscles were screaming for mercy. Mind you the views from the top were amazing before emerging at the gate shown in the photo.
On our way down the field was full of cattle, with one absolutely huge bull parked right on the track about 30 metres before the gate.
Mrs. Copy was yelling at me to stop before he charged us but I freewheeled towards him and he finally ambled aside to let us pass. We often have a laugh about that part of the trip.
Looks like you had the best of the Welsh weather too. Glad you enjoyed it.

fausto.
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

Fantastic photos, they brought memories back for me also. The hills above Harlech are indeed tough but they are one of the highlights for me each time I've done it. The views across to Portmeirion are one of the best I've seen.
Looks like you were blessed with the weather and had a great time. Here's to the next tour!
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Nice :)

I did the Mawddach trail from Penmaenpool to Barmouth with the family in September, and back, so about 14 miles all told, with my youngest on her 16" single speed bike having only shed her stabilisers 3 weeks previously!

Toying with diverting across and down through Wales when I do JOGLE next year, and your pics have just swayed me that bit more to looking at it more closely