eurovelo 1

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tyreon

eurovelo 1

Post by tyreon »

I was thinking of cycling the eurovelo 1 next year: plane to Faro,along and up thru Spain via Salamanca,Pamplona, then into France. Anyone done this route? Worthwhile? or No?. I read about a 'secretive' cycle path that goes along from Faro into Spain;said open,request details,said 'closed'? Said not to be validated by tourist companies who wish to sell accompanied rides along it!! I'm not sure if this is true,but thus have I read...
I've searched on this thing(the computer)but have seen nothing of value. The path is named 'something-or-other' but right now I can't find the link. I look along at the maps that 'detail'(too strong a word)the way the path goes,but am concerned about what cycle path I might experience(some motorway?)!! When I look at any detailed map travelling along southern Portugal into Spain,it just seems some giant motorway: fine if there's some cyclepath alongside it!
What I don't want is the dash-of-death: cycling along some motorway hell albeit there may be less cars than on the equivalent UK road.

There seems to be a paucity of info on this Eurvelo cyclepath,at least up until n.Spain where it meets the Caminos that go to/from Compostella.

Thinking of going June time: South to North. July and August,too hot. 40-55 miles pday. I don't want to hammer. Prefer small towns and cities to see/pass thru than monster human habitats. Go for it? Or,Dont bother!
zed

Re: eurovelo 1

Post by zed »

We were planning to do Faro to Huelva earlier this year (then head up the Camino de la Plata), but had to cancel for family reasons. We thought we'd found a reasonable route running parallel to the coast most of the way just using the Michelin 1:400,000 maps and Google streetview to check availability of bike paths/lanes. Didn't look too daunting! Others who have actually done it might know better!
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Ta Zed. Haven't got many replies or advice! Have looked at a variety of maps to see roads...but you never know how busy they are,and if they have an accompanying cycle path. I don't want to go on a murderous car/lorry autoway. I see there is a Eurovelo described route...but no detailed explanation of its 'traffic'. Am looking for some 'unclassified' route,or English B road type of thing. Definitely not A road. Not worried about France,there there's always small unclassified roads. Spain doesn't seem to offer as much which means...they're aint the traffic? there is the traffic,and its all funnelled onto what roads are detailed!! Am expecting internal Spain to be quiet,but in some parts I fear 'racetracks',and with no wide shoulder to ride along?
nickodemia

Post by nickodemia »

I doubt very much that the Eurovelo routes would take you along busy roads. Have done some of Eurovelo 6 and most of it was on dedicated cycle ways plus some quiet roads.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

There's this for the French bit (and points North): http://www.velodyssey.com/ Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but I couldn't tell if you'd come across it. Not enormously informative, but it does at least show a fair amount of off road mileage if that's what you're after
I've been looking at a relaxing ride in Acquitane / Gironde. Just don't know if my relaxing skills are up to the challenge :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
sweatpee

Post by sweatpee »

I can tell you that the section of the Vélodyssée between Royan and Bayonne is very dull when riding solo. I cycled up the coast from Bayonne after crossing the Pyrenees East/West and I was looking forward to some flat riding. After a day of it I missed the Pyrenees with it's climbs and views and life.

Although the route is flat and mostly off-road on dedicated cycle tracks, the landscape doesn't change for the majority of the route and there isn't much infrastructure such as shops or restaurants for large sections. Also I found that although it looked like it would be along the coast there were only a few sections that actually provided a view of it. A few campsites were like mini Ibiza party spots, tacky, expensive and noisy.

I met a guy cycling the opposite way to me and he basically said go inland and take the road, I ignored his advice but in retrospect he was right. Another guy I met on the Royan Ferry who had ridden the same stretch as me said exactly the same thing about the tedium.

I think if I had had a riding partner it would have been a little better but I'd not take on that section again.