France - channel to the Med (or vice-versa)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ludo

France - channel to the Med (or vice-versa)

Post by ludo »

May next year I plan to cycle through France and I am considering going from the Med (either from Montpellier or from Perpignan) to the Channel. The reason for going south to north rather than the more popular north to south, is that it should be easier logistically. I can fly to 'M' or 'P', discard the bike box which will be a cardboard box obtained from a local bike shop where I live. Then I can take as long as I wish to cycle to a channel port and simply buy a ticket at the ferry point back to England. Apart from the likely change in climate and weather what other disadvantage(s) will there be going from south to north. Can anyone assist?
Thanks.
al_yrpal

Re: France - channel to the Med (or vice-versa)

Post by al_yrpal »

Alternatively book the bike bus... http://www.bike-express.co.uk

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pdstsp

Post by pdstsp »

I did Dunkerque - Perpignan last year in late June and was very glad I did it that way round - riding towards (hopefully) better weather but mainly because the scenery became better and better as the ride went on - I did some longish (100) mile days early on and then reduced to around 75 to 80 for the Massif Central etc - I loved it!!
Had a lovely last meal in France in Perpignan and then caught the bike bus back - fabulous.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

+1 on North to South, whatever route you take. In the normal scheme of things, the worst winds you get will be south-westerlies. If you go S->N via the Rhône valley you'll likely have the Mistral in the chops, and if you aim NW through the Corbières the headwinds can quite casually reach 90 kph (BTDT).
Have we got time for another cuppa?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

South to North for me - riding homewards. A couple of years ago, in early June I took the bike bus to Perpignan than rode north via Carcassone, Lot - Tarn and Dordogne valleys, well inland of Bordeaux towards Poitiers. There my plans differed from the OP, I turned east to Burgundy before going home. I had no problems with persistent winds, although that year was very wet down south and bone dry in the Vendee. From Poitiers area it is easy to pass west of Paris and then up to the northern channel ports. Indeed I did pretty much that (in reverse i.e. N-S) last year.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

South to North for me. Went Nice to Calais last year. Went thru Grasse,Digne les Baines,Montelimar,then up towards Vichy and Paris. First third of this leg was mountainous,and it was cold,and with some rain. In the mountains we 'couldn't turn back' but feared going on...more mountains,more inclement weather! Still,the weather turned and after strong headwinds+++ the last two thirds of France were a doddle...and with sun.

Me thinks its better S to N because you've everything packed and booked this end. Get to the other end and you've just got to rip off your bubble wrap. T'other way round,wouldn't you have some deadline to meet? A booked plane? And who knows what could go wrong, your chain might snap,some mechanical fault develops,weather gets stroppy. Maybe at the French end you can book a cheap flight 1/2 days in advance using your ipad. I couldn't,and wouldn't. Book the cheapo flight this end,you know what's cooking here,you'll get to the airport assisted by friends or rail. At t'other end,how's your lingo,you conversant with booking French rail? What if the next plane's booked full? Things seem more variable in a 'foreign field'. Here you'll know your way round bureaucracy, if it begins to harass you. Besides,you can complain and cuss better in English more freely if things go awry: I'd feel a bit of a bore making a to-do to lovely Frenchmen and ladies.
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

I'm planning same thing starting in Nice at end of July. France en velo in reverse.
davetb

Post by davetb »

You can always hire a car, one way, at the end of the trip, back to the ferry port. Its very easy to do. This yr we walked in to Avis at 09.00 and were traveling N everything packed by 10.00
Dropped the car in Caen and cycled the last 15k to the ferry port, and luckily caught the next boat.
ludo

Post by ludo »

I haven't made up my mind yet which way to go but thank you for all your suggestions. They are much appreciated.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I did exactly this a couple of years ago - flew to Montpellier, dumped the free bike box and cycled up to Ouistreham (Caen).
It was my 1st tour outside the UK and was absolutely brilliant. I started off heading east towards Arles, up to Ventoux before turning north west across the Massif Central bit towards Limoge. Headed north from there.
ludo

Post by ludo »

I'm beginning to think north to south would be a better option. As regards the weather, one just has to accept that it may be bad. No such thing as bad weather, just unsuitable clothing. As far as the problems of getting home again, I will probably not use the bike bus but either fly back or return by train via Paris. Train looks a good option. http://www.seat61 is a mine of helpful information.

Thanks again for all your advice and information. The input from all of you has been a great help.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

+1 South to North in May . I've done South to North in September from Nice and i think that North to South might be a better choice at that time of the year. There's not a lot in it, I've dine North to South in September too. massif Central is likely to be the worst of the weather whichever direction you go in. Ps check the climate when deciding routes as I've remember a very damp may holiday in the Dordogne. You may be better off heading more up the east side of France or it could have just been that we had bad luck.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 30 Oct 2014, 11:46am, edited 2 times in total.
Miles_Back

Post by Miles_Back »

+1 for North to South. Just close the front door behind you and you are immediately on holiday, just bimble down to the Channel ports and then enjoy the whole of France unfolding in front of you as you make your way down to the Med.
Cor....., I'm getting itchy wheels now....!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

The only disadvantage is the slight risk of damaging your bike in transit.

I get two cardboard boxes from the shop and put one inside the other and pad well

If your not cycling out of your front door then google the name and address of a few bike shops near where you will be putting the bike together. If you have an unusual setup look for ones that are most likely to have parts you might need like spokes, or a rear much hanger. Alternatively consider taking the most fragile parts that may not be stocked with you. I keep spokes inside my seat tube, and a rear mech hanger is cheap and light.

Also note their opening hours. Most are shut on Sunday, a lot are shut on Monday and some shut Saturday pm!

All this is just a precaution and more apt if there is a group going. The bigger the group the more likely one of you is to have a problem
ludo

Post by ludo »

I agree keeping more to the east whichever direction I go will be a good idea. Weather is more likely to be lively in the west of France - but of course no guarantee!