bike back from LA

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mmuk

bike back from LA

Post by mmuk »

my son is planning on cycling across the USA as part of a round the world trip, then leaving the bike there with a friend.

As it will be my bike :( i want to get it back!

anyone know a method? I'm not sure I want to risk the post!

thanks
andrew_s

Re: bike back from LA

Post by andrew_s »

Tell him that if he wants to leave the bike, he can leave his own bike, then wait to see what he does.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

andrew_s wrote:Tell him that if he wants to leave the bike, he can leave his own bike, then wait to see what he does.

i agree. you have a very strange son.
le vieux grognard

Post by le vieux grognard »

Have you considered putting him in an orphanage and hanging on to your bike?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Shiping costs can be high, but new bikes in the US are much cheaper than in the UK. It may be cheaper for him to buy new out there and then sell. He'll put a fair amount of wear on a bike if he is riding the whole way.

I remember something like this being asked a while ago, I suggested stripping it right down and posting, there were other suggestions as well. Try searching.

Edit in, here is the posthttp://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.p ... ng#p527769
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Probably cheaper to fly out there, collect it and bring it back - seriously. Personally I'd go with the suggestion he buys one out there and sells it when he's finished. It'll cost a lot less.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

If the son purchases a bike in the USA, how does he do the rest of the trip before that section?

Why not get him to purchase his own bike for the whole trip. Then he can do what he wants with it, I would not be happy with our son if he planned to leave my bike somewhere and not get it back to me.
So much so I would just tell him to walk instead.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar