First bike tour with children

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
critch5150

First bike tour with children

Post by critch5150 »

I have just done the C2C over three windy days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Absolutely stunning scenery, and a superbly signposted and maintained route. Hats off to Sustrans.
My 10-yr old daughter, who cycles locally quite a bit, is keen to do something similar - ie: a challenge ride, camping each night somewhere new. However, I don't think she's yet up to the hill climbs on the C2C. Can anyone recommend a good route for which (a) we can get to the start and end points via public transport (b) the level of challenge is suitable for a fairly fit but novice 10-yr old on something like a hybrid bike (she's on a mountain bike at present). I think she could happily do 30 miles each day, based upon recent rides we've done together. I want to make the most of her keenness but not put her off in the process. Any ideas welcome. We're based in Nottingham too - something that isn't a million miles to get to would be good.
MrsHJ

Re: First bike tour with children

Post by MrsHJ »

Those books, cycle tours, one day routes in "whichever county" by ordnance survey, are still around, second hand on Amazon and do quiet roads so I might start there and join some up for overnights. They are mostly gentle on inclines (check the route) and I guess at 10 she will be ok on quiet roads. My daughter is just 11 and did her bike ability course last week and got certified for on road but it did sound like she was the most competent of the group and they all passed I believe. She has an islabike.

A decent length of proper cycle track without loads of annoying half gates can be quite hard to find in this country but I had been mulling over the Avon and kennet canal for my kids. Instead we did the nantes brest canal as our first decent size trip. We are in the south west so not local to you but there is a 100 mile coast to coast of Devon route that the kids and I are hoping to do most of at the end of next week over about 4 days. This is featured on the devon county website so I guess other counties do the same thing ( and sustrans of course).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

MrsHJ wrote:Those books, cycle tours, one day routes in "whichever county" by ordnance survey, are still around, second hand on Amazon and do quiet roads so I might start there and join some up for overnights. They are mostly gentle on inclines (check the route) and I guess at 10 she will be ok on quiet roads. My daughter is just 11 and did her bike ability course last week and got certified for on road but it did sound like she was the most competent of the group and they all passed I believe. She has an islabike.

A decent length of proper cycle track without loads of annoying half gates can be quite hard to find in this country but I had been mulling over the Avon and kennet canal for my kids. Instead we did the nantes brest canal as our first decent size trip. We are in the south west so not local to you but there is a 100 mile coast to coast of Devon route that the kids and I are hoping to do most of at the end of next week over about 4 days. This is featured on the devon county website so I guess other counties do the same thing ( and sustrans of course).

The Sustrans routes from Gloucester to London on the Thames and Severn riversalso use the canal and it is fine, but can be muddy if wet

The Devon Coast to Coast has the same issue, and some hills
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Funnily enough my first "tour" with the wife was the Bristol-Bath route

She lacked confidence and we decided that a 30 mile round trip fully loaded was the way to try out before going on a full tour

So we took the train to Bath, camped, loaded everything, cycled to Bristol for lunch, then back to bath for afternoon tea, extending the trip to Bathampton and back to the campsite

The fact that we had done more than we anticipated was a real boost and we successfully did the C2C later that year

Perhaps something similar?

A couple of local one or two night adventures to settle in and build her confidence before the big one?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Depending how happy you are on roads, checkout the main camping and caravan clubs sites around your area.
Conkers is only around 30 miles SW from Nottingham.
Cycle there, spend a day at the waterside park if needed, cycle home.
And/or Conkers -> Cannock Chase -> Drayton Bassett -> Conkers for an extended trip.
All local enough so you can double check the routes beforehand by yourself.
Plus options for an easy bailout if needed.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I'd suggest doing some of the old railway paths in the Peak District. You can catch a train to Cromford, and from there easily get onto the High Peak Trail. Day 1 could be cycling up to Parsley Hay at the far end of the High Peak Trail. Day 2 - down the Tissington Trail
to Ashbourne. Day 3 back up the trail as far as Tissington, then pick your way through the lanes to Carsington Water and do the path around the Lake. Then you can rejoin the High Peak Trail at Middleton Top and descend back to Cromford to catch the train home.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The Netherlands is reachable by public transport... Our kids' first tour on their own bikes was IJmuiden down to Den Haag (to see their cousins) and back. There are ups and downs in the dunes but not to worry about, the road danger is minimal, there's a fair few campsites and you get a ferry cruise thrown in.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Another day trip - catch the train to Oakham, and cycle around the shore of Rutland Water (25 miles - mainly flat, mostly off road). You could camp overnight at Hambleton or catch the train back home from Oakham again.

Another day trip - follow the Grantham Canal from next to the Forest ground, all the way out to Grantham and catch the train back from there.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

I would endorse the suggestions above especially Tissington and High Peak Trails

Looking at your criteria:

(a) we can get to the start and end points via public transport (b) the level of challenge is suitable for a fairly fit but novice 10-yr old on something like a hybrid bike

Suggestion 1) Catch the train at Nottingham to Market Harborough (journey 40 mins) and do the Brampton Valley Way http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... valley-way 28 miles of traffic free cycling.

a really lovely route for a your child especially as there are two long tunnels to go through with beautiful countryside ---a really fantastic ride as I did it with a disabled person on 26th Oct. This is one of the longest paths in the region connecting Market Harborough with the outskirts of Northamptonshire and forming Route 6 on the National Cycling Network. Gentle railway gradients, no steep hills.

Suggestion 2) The Water Rail Way http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/water-rail-way

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wat ... ORM=HDRSC2

Catch the train to Lincoln and do the above route. this will give you a cycling round trip of 30 miles. The route is flat and almost entirely traffic free. The path features pen fenland landscapes with long views and expansive skies, another great route

Suggestion 3) if you cant get to Tissington let me know and we can give you a lift, were based in Nottingham

Just thought of this trail (Erewash Valley Trail) again which would be excellent for a child: http://www.broxtowe.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=7799

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ere ... ORM=HDRSC2
Last edited by stu1102 on 27 Oct 2014, 10:07am, edited 1 time in total.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Conkers is a good shout. There's a YHA there, and you've got Hicks Lodge and the Ashby Woulds trail, and the Cloud Trail in the near area. That and loads of quiet back lanes means you could put a decent weekend of it, especially if you link in places like Calke abbey and Staunton Harold.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Lots of good suggestions, but also consider C2C over more days, we took our junior club across it over 5 days, and 1 of the younger members was taken with her family over 7 days. It means we added in extra accommodation nr Melmerby and Consett.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

1. Visit this web site:

http://www.cycleyorkshirewolds.com/route

2. Get hold of the cycle map shown on the same page (make sure it is marked 2011) for the best roads to cycle along if you don't do the full route

3. Train from Nottingham to Malton? (I haven't checked the policy on carrying bikes on that route)

The stiffest part of this route is just outside Malton after Settrington when you would be at your freshest :smile: After that it is just 'lumpy'

A particular advantage to your family is that this route is largely free from traffic. Although there aren't many camp sites there are a lots of B&Bs and pubs along the route. Maybe alternate each night?
critch5150

Post by critch5150 »

Many thanks for all the superb ideas - I'm very grateful for all the helpful input from so many people, so quickly. I particularly like the idea of the Yorkshire Wolds - we often head up to Scarborough via that way. Am going to look at accomodation options. May also plan a C2C over a week in the summer, though I might source a road bike for my daughter for that.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The North Wales Coast (NCN 5) is a good choice - plenty of posts about it on this board. Aside from the Bagillt hill section it's mostly flat, lots is traffic-free, and the scenery is suitably impressive - plus plenty of cafes and ice-cream parlours along the way! (And you could skip the hilly bit by taking a train from Prestatyn to Flint.) Should be reasonably easy to get to from Nottingham, especially if you take the little local train from Derby to Crewe then change there for a train to the coast.

I'd second the suggestion of the Kennet & Avon (NCN 4), and you could also try the Cotswold Line (NCN 442) from Worcester to Oxford, though I may be biased.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides