Bikes on a plane - box or bag?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thebedfordfox

Bikes on a plane - box or bag?

Post by thebedfordfox »

I'd love to pick your brains re: flying with my bike. I am planning to go to Venice next year to cycle down the Adriatic coast, and would need to take the bike on the flight, which would probably be Easyjet.
Would anyone heartily recommend bags/boxes, or does anybody have bad experiences with particular brands? There seems to be a huge variation in price, but do you really get what you pay for?
TIA
TrevA

Re: Bikes on a plane - box or bag?

Post by TrevA »

Are you flying back from the same airport. If not, what do you intend to do with the bag/box? If you are, where are you going to store it?

You could just get a large box from your local bike shop and pack the bike in that, then dispose of the box (responsibly) when you land at your destination. Then get another box for when you fly back.

Another alternative is the CTC Polythene Bike Bag. Provides minimal protection, but you can roll it up and take it with you.

If you are flying back from the same airport and can find a hotel that will store your bag, then a padded bike with you. I have a Pinnacle bag from Evans that's been used quite a few times and the bike's not been damaged. The heavier the bag/box the more protection it will provide, but you may exceed your weight limit. The last time I flew with Easyjet, the limit was 18kg for bike and bag/box. I had friends who had to pay out up to 100 euros extra because the box was over the weight limit.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
thebedfordfox

Post by thebedfordfox »

My plan would be return to Venice, so I'd be inclined to leave the box at the hotel before returning. I suppose in the grand scheme of things, €100 extra, while a pain in the bum is a price I'd be prepared to pay as long as my trusty steed comes to no harm.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

You could also have a look through these previous threads:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67410
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=76731
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=88436

Personally I use a big plastic bag, the theory being that the baggage handlers can see it's a bike and hopefully don't throw it around too much. I haven't had any problems but I've only been on a handful of flights with my bike. The other advantages are that it is cheap and can be folded and stored between the rear rack and the mudguard for the duration of the tour.

If you go down the box route, you could also check out WarmShowers - I've accepted requests in the past from people wanting to store bike boxes for a few weeks.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

I use a cardboard bike box, that's what they are made for, safely transporting bikes and they cost nowt! Never had a problem obtaining one and always arrange at least one sure fire place to pick one up in advance by email.
alicat

Post by alicat »

It depends on how you are going to get to the airport.

A box is great if someone is dropping you off or someone can get a box while someone else minds the bikes.

Otherwise packed up in a padded bag with wheels is best, but then you need to be able to leave it somewhere until you are ready to come home.

If that's a no no too, then a simple plastic bag is best.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

alicat wrote:Otherwise packed up in a padded bag with wheels is best,

On a circular tour maybe. I did have a Lakelands (wheels & strap) bag and it was great but not much use unless I was doing a short tour around BCN, so I sold it on Ebay and started with cardboard boxes. I am lucky in that I live 10mins from Leeds/Bradford airport, I also use the train to Manchester but............I've also picked up a bike boxes in BCN, Catania and Malaga and cycled with them to their respective airports.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

TrevA wrote:
Another alternative is the CTC Polythene Bike Bag. Provides minimal protection, but you can roll it up and take it with you.

+1 for this method. I've never had any damage in 5 flights although items like brake levers have sometimes been skewed a little indicating that a simple plastic bag is probably not the best packaging for your 'sunday best' bike. My 23yr old tourer has a collection of 'battle scars' so I'm not overly fussed about one or two more, but the plastic bag is ideal if you have to travel to your returning airport with something.

If you know someone who is handy with a sewing machine, then how about knocking up a nylon zipped bag of your own. Mrs Bikes4two did this for me at a cost f £20 ish.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

May I ask how you are taking your other bags / panniers?
I want to take 4 panniers for a long tour.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

You need to look at the airline regulations size criteria. In general two panniers is less than the maximum size of one hold bag. So a strong lightweight bag (eg a stripey plastic suitcase like bag) with the panniers firmly strapped together inside can work. Strong plastic sacs can work but they do need to be strong; the handlers don't have time to mess about so whatever then grab at has to hold the weight. Secure by twisting then bending over then strong tie.

Handlebar bag on as hand luggage although some get away with a pannier onboard and a bit more stuff inside. You'll probably have to pack differently just for the flight.

You need an airport trolley to carry everything so make it a top priority on arrival.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Also think carefully about what you must pack; buying things at the other end can be cheaper than paying to take them.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Barrenfluffit wrote:You need an airport trolley to carry everything so make it a top priority on arrival.

Some trolleys require a one/two pound/euro coin to be 'unlocked' from the trolley stack - so have some coins handy.

As for 4 panniers etc., Mrs B4t made me a nylon zipped bag to hold my two panniers plus tent to make one piece of hold baggage. The nylon bag had other uses during the trip such as something to sit on.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

My friends parcel tape their panniers together to make them into one piece of luggage for the flight. They're still pretty small compared to a suitcase. I have a lightweight pack a bag thing that holds four fullish panniers and assorted other bits of the bike and folds in on itself ( then becomes a tiny pillow for the camping section).

We use the CTC or decathlon bags. The CTC bags whilst good are quite chunky to lug around ( not heavy, I try to fold them into a rectangle and sort of line the bottom of a pannier with it). We don't do circular routes usually. If forced to we would otherwise do the local bike shop thing to find a box I guess. Some years ago I cut a tour short in Madrid, turned up at the airport there and grabbed a seat on the next BA flight. I started to sort the bike out and the woman I'd bought the ticket from said you've no time for that so I gave the bike intact to the baggage people and was told to run for my flight. Arrived fine back in Blighty.

We don't use a trolley. Put the bike back together in the Baggage reclaim hall, stick panniers on, walk out through customs and (hopefully) find a nice quiet road or cycle track away from the airport.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've always used a cardboard box from a bike shop on the way out with another box for the panniers and tent for two people. I pack it up in advance and drive to (near) the airport, park at a local farm that does parking and we are taken to the airport. I have a small car but can fit both bikes on a roof rack.

Returning, only once has there been a bike shop close enough to carry it to the airport. It was Toulous (Blagnac) we were staying in the Formule 1 hotel and there is a Decathlon nearby. I have alway gone to a DIY shop or large supermarket and bought a cheap tarpaulin. For some extra padding I've also bought a length of pipe lagging and even a 2 euro yoga mat to wrap around the tubes. Have done in excess of 30 flights each with two bikes and never suffered any damage.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've an old Pair of Ortlieb back rollers. You can clip them together strap wise and then in three places firmly ziptie them together. This works very well as one bag.

One negative of cardboard boxes (which I've used a small number of times) is that on once occasion, seven of us returning from abroad were made use them and three of the frames were BROKEN! I've never otherwise seen a frame broken on a flight and I've been on at least 100 flights on tours between out and back and multiflight tours.