Cornish way / west country way

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Cornish way / west country way

Post by honesty »

Reading the Captain Offensive's blog on his Avenue Verte trip has kicked me into action and I've finally written up the first day of my short tour I did in July. Here's a link to the blog post -
http://www.onesti.co.uk/?p=52
whoof

Re: Cornish way / west country way

Post by whoof »

Nice write up.
I don't know anyone who rides the path from Penzance Station to Marazion on the cycle path. Everyone rides past the old Heliport (either on the dual carriage way in front or past the Tesco garage behind) and then around the A30 roundabout (which can be interesting) and through Long Rock.
The Philps' pasties are worth the wait, Hansons the butcher also in Hayle do a very good pasty.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I thought I'd covered my bases and looked at the path on google maps and street view, and it looked really decent. What it didn't show was the middle bit. If I did do it again on a road bike I'd definitely stick to the road!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Day 2 can be found here: http://www.onesti.co.uk/?p=56
dodger

Post by dodger »

"The Philps' pasties are worth the wait, Hansons the butcher also in Hayle do a very good pasty."

Spot on. We did a blind tasting to settle a dispute about this. Philps won by a short nose, but they are also 70p cheaper!
For my bet, probably the best in Cornwall and an excellent fuel store for a long cycle!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Theres a little garden sandwich shop place in Charlestown that does fantastic pasties, but I've never tested them back to back so cant say which ones are the best. Philips pasty was definitely up there though!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Day 3 is here. A little delayed I know!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

honesty wrote:Theres a little garden sandwich shop place in Charlestown that does fantastic pasties, but I've never tested them back to back so cant say which ones are the best. Philips pasty was definitely up there though!

Charlestown is one of those fantastic finds that simply should not exist in the modern age.

When I did this I also detoured to visit the fantastic Quaker meeting house atthe wonderfully named Come to Good

honesty

Post by honesty »

Last time I was down there they had just finished filming pirates of the Caribbean I think, and the dock had 2 tall ships in. It was quite amazing.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I'm lucky. Charlestown is my closest beach. It's about a mile from my house :).
honesty

Post by honesty »

If anyones interested, final day - http://www.onesti.co.uk/?p=67