YHA Discount.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
beardy

YHA Discount.

Post by beardy »

I received an email from YHA offering me 15% off bookings between 29/9 and 21/12.

I tried to make a booking for this Saturday night and it refused the discount saying it was invalid for the booking.

So I thought I would try the CTC discount, I have never bothered doing so before.

This time it refused saying "invalid for the desired stay dates". I had copied it direct from the CTC website just minutes before hand.
Sooper8

Re: YHA Discount.

Post by Sooper8 »

If the YHA discount is something like the one this time last year (Winter Warmer it might have been called?), then it only applies to certain hostels.
I had the same reaction as you and couldn't understand what was going on.

If it isn't this same deal then ignore my reply.

Maybe phone direct to the hostel you want and they could do it manually and apply discount?
randonneur

Post by randonneur »

You may find that the hostel you are booking is an independent under the YHA franchise, for which there appears a significant number these days as the YHA sells off their rural hostels. Any discounts are only available at wholly owned YHA hostels.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I tried Bath and then as a check Manorbier in Wales.

I also tried rooms instead of dorms and it still keeps refusing on the ground of dates.

The codes are VISIT-001 from the email offer and ******* from the CTC website.

The latter code is only available to CTC members so I guess I shouldnt post it publically but they have annoyed me now, I dont even care about the 15% just about being suckered in with offers that dont actually exist.

Edited to remove the code as it does actually work.
Last edited by beardy on 23 Oct 2014, 4:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penfolds11

Post by Penfolds11 »

Out of interest, which dates are you entering?

I've just tried a booking at YHA Bath dorm for 8/9th November (2 nights, 2 beds) and the website wants to charge me £66.00 less £9.90 CTC discount = £56.10.

So its worked for me... :?
beardy

Post by beardy »

Thank You for that, I have emulated your booking and got it to work there. Knowing that I have the discount code correct, I retried for this Tuesday 28th Oct and it refused again.

It is refusing on the grounds of date, possibly they have a compulsory advanced booking period for the CTC bookings that we have not be told about.

Or possibly the whole school holiday week is off limits for discounts?
beardy

Post by beardy »

OK , I just tried it for tonight at a hostel and it worked.

So the answer is not valid during school holidays by the look of it.