What to do with your bike if you need to get back in a hurry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
patpalloon

What to do with your bike if you need to get back in a hurry

Post by patpalloon »

I'm planning some longer European tours next year and was wondering what to do with your bike if you had to come home quickly eg for a family emergency? Assuming you don't have a friend or relative abroad that you can leave your bike with, has anyone had any experience of this - ie somewhere safe and secure you could leave your bike and get a flight home?
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
bikepacker

Re: What to do with your bike if you need to get back in a h

Post by bikepacker »

I know two cyclists who have left them with French campsite owners until they returned. Not at the same time or campsite I would add. One was collected by a friend who was going down that way. The other resumed the tour after a couple of weeks, bike and camping gear were still in the same locked shed when he got back.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I seem to remember something similar being asked a little while ago.

Some suggested a bike shop. My suggestion was to find a local cycling club and see if one of them could look after it for you.

Leaving it anywhere commercial like a hotel or campsite runs the risk that staff may change and then no one knows whose bike it is and it may be binned/sold/borrowed/etc.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The other alternative is to beg a cardboard box off a bike shop, and give UPS or someone money to take the bike home for you.
It largely depends on whether/how long it will be before you can return.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

WarmShowers is always worth a try as well.
Ron

Post by Ron »

You could ask at the nearest bike shop if there is a local bike recycling charity who would take it, saves you the bother of going back for it or arranging repatriation.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

doesn't take any longer to fly with the bike than without it, i don't see a problem :wink: Of course if i knew i was gonna be able to go back the suggestions above seem quite reasonable.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

The thought never crossed my mind while touring, though to be honest most of my early touring trips were without phone or Internet so would have no idea about any emergencies. I guess I would just try to find a flight home ASAP, and no would not leave bike behind, entrust my hand built Wester Ross to strangers or pack it off to a charity, not on your Nellie as my mum used to say.

My mum and I did a trip to China and came home to the news that my paternal grandfather had passed on, not much anyone could do with regard to contacting us or us changing flights and the outcome would not have been altered anyway.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Buy a ticket for you and the bike, buy parcel tape amd bin liners, make a large plastic bag with them and cover the bike. This is the easiest, simplest way. Folk go to ridiculous efforts when all you need ks a few quid spent in a supermarket. I am told clingfilm works, but never tried it.
Ron

Post by Ron »

patpalloon wrote:I'm planning some longer European tours next year and was wondering what to do with your bike if you had to come home quickly?

Sounds as if you are planning for failure, it's not a great mental state to be in at the start of a tour if you already have an easy opt out up your sleeve.
There are so many variables, something will turn up on the day, don't worry. :)
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

MartinBrice wrote:Buy a ticket for you and the bike, buy parcel tape amd bin liners, make a large plastic bag with them and cover the bike. This is the easiest, simplest way. Folk go to ridiculous efforts when all you need ks a few quid spent in a supermarket. I am told clingfilm works, but never tried it.

Used Clingfilm when bus company wanted bike bagged. Worked very well, took about 3 rolls of clingfilm and one roll of sellotape. Driver was quite happy with it. Those machines for bagging at the airport use it. Though they charge about £15.