Devon - Lynmouth to Exford

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
skicat

Devon - Lynmouth to Exford

Post by skicat »

There's no avoiding the fact that Lynmouth is at sea level and Exford is about 275m higher than that. There also appears to be a large piece of Exmoor at 400m between the two. There are two obvious routes that jump out at me. First is along the A39, then turning inland before reaching Porlock. The second is to head straight inland from Lynmouth to Simonsbath. Neither route looks to be particularly easy hill-wise, especially on a touring bike. Does anyone have any experience of which route might be the better option? Or are there other alternatives?
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
phil parker

Re: Devon - Lynmouth to Exford

Post by phil parker »

Yes, I've done both routes numerous times! (I was in Porlock at the weekend!)

I would go to Simonsbath from Lynmouth - it is a long and steady climb with one challenging steep bit as you turn off the main road left over the moor. There is a nice cafe stop (or a pub) in Simonsbath then another hill outwards with a rolling road into Exford. The other route would entail going up to Contisbury starting off at 25% for a short climb before levelling out at 10 - 15% for a good mile and once you turn off there are some challenging bits from the A30 to Exford!

Either way, it's a good ride. Enjoy!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

You could also set off towards Simonsbath, then take a left to follow the Brendon valley up onto the A39 a half mile or so before the turn off for Exford. Speaking of which, there's a decent track more or less opposite the top of the second (counting from Lynmouth) toll road that avoids the start of the drop down towards Porlock.

However, Simonsbath is the easiest route.
skicat

Post by skicat »

Thanks to both. I had spotted that Brendon valley trail but it seems to meander a lot without really getting much closer to Exford. I think the Simonsbath route is the one for me.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get