Devon Coast to coast

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MrsHJ

Devon Coast to coast

Post by MrsHJ »

New islabike arrives at the end of the week so I think I will take a couple of days off at the end of next week to make a long weekend and take the kids on the Devon coast to coast. They do about 20-25 miles a day and the 8 year old claims not to do hills although he did some in France this summer. Thinking about which direction to go and where to stop. Either way I think we will use Barnstaple as our start or end due to the public transport. We can go up there another time do do the northern loop up to the coast.
honesty

Re: Devon Coast to coast

Post by honesty »

Love this route. I've done it, or bits of it a few times now. I've always done south to north, but this was more to do with being able to get trains down to Plymouth, and the north bit being nearer home so I could just cycle back, but either is good.

Going from south to north (so switch this if you are going the other way)
Plymouth is nice around the citadel and hoe but the bit across to Saltram is not great.
Saltram is lovely but the surface is appalling, and yes just north of Saltram you are signposted to cycle the wrong way down a one way street.
oneway.jpg
oneway.jpg (37.8 KiB) Viewed 947 times

The Plym Valley trail is lovely, just be aware the end of it is currently closed at Clearbrook and you are diverted onto a lane with a really steep hill.
clearbrook.jpg

Drakes trail from Yelverton to Tavistock is really nice, there are alternative routes that are a bit faster but I have enjoyed it every time I've ridden it.
From Tavistock to Lydford the current route takes you down through Peter and Mary Tavy. I've not done this, but done the more direct B road past Brentor (St. Michael de Rupe church). The B road is good but I'd suggeset a slightly longer route which is quieter.
routetolydford.jpg

The Granite way is a fantastic route, and with the connecting section in the middle now in place theres no need to divert round to Bridestowe (there never was actually but thats a different discussion!)
In Okehampton, the hill coming out of the town is really rather steep so be aware.
From Hatherleigh you have 2 options - 1. follow the signposted route round through Sheepwash. This has the benefit of being on quiet lanes. Sheepwash is attractive but there are a few steep hills. 2. Follow the A road up to the start of the Tarka trail. Its a much shorter route, and the start section of the Tarka trail is really rather nice. The down side is the A road can by quite busy and has a really short steep hill in the middle of it. It is significantly shorter though!
tarkatrail.jpg

The Tarka trail from Petrockstow station through to East Yarde (and a bit past it) isnt the greatest surface but doable, from then on though its tarmac and really rather nice. I found the bit from Instow to barnstaple just seemed to drag but there are places to stop.
From Barnstaple up I haven't cycled (i always struck out to home in Taunton) so cant help you.

Places I've stopped or stayed at (working back down towards Plymouth just to confuse you)
Fremington quay - nice purpose built cafe, can be busy
Bideford station - good cafe on a trail car, no toilets.
Yarde orchard - great food, nice people, good camping/bunkhouse
Okehampton castle - worth a detour to look at if you have the time. Little kiosk on site for drinks and snacks
Lydford gorge - National trust property, so cafe, etc. Worth a wander round if you have the time (same for the castle)
Vieiras cafe in Yelverton - nice coffee and cake, pretty much on the route.
Saltram - National trust again, so the usual.

Hope that helps!
whoof

Post by whoof »

I did this last May. Travelled by train of Friday evening to Barnstaple and stayed here. It has bike storage in thier garage.
http://www.brend-hotels.co.uk/theroyalfortescue/
Rode to Okehampton and then stayed in the YHA.
Second day rode to Plymouth had a look around the Hoe and got the train back, it was lovely.
The second day was hillier than the first as you cross Dartmoor.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I did the Devon Coast to Coast a few years ago with kids and a tandem..,my write-up here!
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25359&p=200565
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Thank you so much everyone. Really useful info, loved the maps and the travelogue. Just got an email from islabike to say the new bike arrives on Thursday so junior will have a week to get used to it.

Outline plan is now:
Day one: train to Barnstaple
Cycle Barnstaple to East Yarde Barn approx 16 miles.
Day. 2 cycle East Yarde to Okehampton approx 24 miles.
Day 3 cycle Okehampton to Tavistock approx 22 miles.
Day 4 cycle Tavistock to Plym bridge approx 11 miles and get him indoors to come and collect us.

This should be doable for the 8 year old without too much whinging on his new (to him) Beinn 26 small and for the 11 year old on the brand new Beinn 26 large who could easily take on much more.

I got the Devon coast to coast book in Stanfords this evening.
RJS

Post by RJS »

Warning :shock: Rode from Marsh Mills to Mary Tavy And back a month or so ago, followed the route 27 signs, from Peter Tavy to Mary Tavy was a rocky footpath, mostly down hill, but still had to walk some parts. Came back on the road to Tavistock, which conversely was predominately downhill. The first part from Tavistock to Peter Tavy is fairly lumpy, swapping between path and lane. I expect you would be using the Brentor route anyway though.
Cheers, Rob.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Noted Rob.