Advice for tyre size for touring - 32c OK for off-road?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
twodogs

Re: Advice for tyre size for touring - 32c OK for off-road?

Post by twodogs »

I've done quite a few on and off road tours on Schwalbe Mondial 40x700 folding and noticed the difference between how easily I travelled compared to my touring buddy who uses Vittoria Rando's. I've had to go to a 35x700 to replace a worn tyre(haven't had a puncture yet) because I couldn't source a 40c. The 40's are better because when the road gets soft, loose, rough or slippery you can reduce the pressure more which increases grip and softens the ride. Awesome grippy fast tyres and well worth the price, my only gripes are that they wear relatively quickly(which I 'spose should be expected of a grippy tyre) and have in the past tended to perish if not used for an extended period(I seem to remember hearing that this last issue was rectified by Schwalbe).
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

ferdinand wrote:I have had one puncture half way up the sidewall, which I think was due to over inflating the tyres above the 85psi recommendation on an inexpensive inner tube (have obeyed the rules and swapped to a better tube).

Expensive tubes puncture just as easily as cheap tubes, at least for the normal black butyl type. There may be fewer failures at the valve.

willem jongman wrote:Wider tyres are not slower on good roads, but faster on bad roads.

That is only true if the wider tyre is similar to the narrow tyre, at least if we are talking about roads with a reasonable surface. If you take a randomly selected wide tyre, it will generally be slower than a randomly selected narrow tyre, on account of having a heavier construction, rubber on the sidewalls, and otherwise being built for durability rather than speed.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Expensive tubes puncture just as easily as cheap tubes, at least for the normal black butyl type. There may be fewer failures at the valve.

At this point I'm not personally entirely convinced of that. My swap is from Kenda tubes to Schwalbe's own tubes identified as "Road" type. Is there any authoritative data?

The one thing I did note is that air retention is noted as better in reviews, which may go towards suggesting that the valves are indeed better fitted.

Of course if I stick within the pressure rules it may overwhelm and difference which may or may not exist :0(, so I may never find out.

Time may or may not tell.

Ferdinand
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Personally I feel that the narrow/wide fast/slow debate can be a bit of a red herring. I don't time myself on trips. As long as I don't start to feel that my tyres are holding me back I'm happy with them, and a 1.75 road tyre running at 80 to 90 psi certainly meets that standard!

My attention was actually drawn by something in the original post, namely that the OP isn't confident of completing a puncture repair. If I had the chance of a dream trip like this I would address that as a priority.

I'm well aware that some combinations of rim and tyre can be "awkward", but the solution is usually a matter of technique rather than physical strength.

Once you have acquired your new tyres, try to find someone (friend, LBS) to guide you through it using your own wheels and tyres. Even if you have to pay for the training, the peace of mind will be worth it.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

On that note, as well as offering cycle training, my local council provide free basic cycle maintenance classes and I have heard of similar schemes elsewhere in the countryside. You will enjoy your trip more if you are confident that you can fix the most common problems that may occur on your trip.