Good footwear?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sooper8

Good footwear?

Post by Sooper8 »

Just wondered what kind of footwear people wear on and off bike when doing a few nights away in tent or YHA?
Ideally the same pair for on and off bike to save weight/space.

The reason I am asking is that I don't do cleats (but I have toe clips), and can't quite find a shoe that I am happy with 100% of the time.
I'm away for a night in 2 weeks and presume it's not going to be as warm as it is today! (phew what a scorcher)

I have a pair of fairly hard soled lightweight trainers, ok on the bike, but the fabric is a moisture magnet when putting a tent up, and not warm enough when the weather gets cold. My other trainers are too fat to get in toe clips.

I don't want to spend over £50. Any personal recommendations? (I can Google 'bike shoes' but was hoping for some insight from experienced cycle tourists)
mercalia

Re: Good footwear?

Post by mercalia »

I would vote Exustar Stelvio SP705 - if you can find a pair that fits as now discontinued. I bought a few pairs when they were going cheap last Feb & I have been using one pair most of the time since then cycleing or not to see how it would hold up. Thats getting on 9 months incl a hot summer. The sole is showing wear in places but most is intact. These are designed as cleat shoes so have a thick sole. I dont use them as such. They did take a bit of breaking in as they have a fibre glass insole but now are very good for walking in as well as cycling. This may be the last all- use cycling shoe at a reasonable price that can also be used in general. I have also found them good for walking on rough ground, so good for stomping around off road when cycleing too bad. The only issue is wet concrete slopes then they can be a bit slippy ( but then many shoes are also?)

Too late for your trip as they do need breaking in. The are also pu leather so semi water proof.

prob too late for any new shoes
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Thanks for that answer.

I just had a look - they look very sturdy and would last a while.
So, they could be used off the bike for a bit of light walking too, that is great!

I can find places on-line still selling them - £59.99 looks about the cheapest I can see...is that about right?

Do they size up accurately?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not sure you will get a gortex lined cycling shoe under £50 :?:
So most of us use overshoes, you might get some gortex in those.
I would go for some cheap cycling shoes and overshoes.
Without some sort of gortex (waterproof and breathable) lining then your feet will become damp from sweat eventually, but overshoes keep the cold external moisture off your feet.

If you go for cycling shoes of sorts then you will have to raise your sadle as trainers do not support the arch and going to a shoe which does, (stiff soles) means that you arch of foot does not collapse and hence the saddle will feel low.

If you pick a MTB type shoe you can walk well in them.
Also laces and ONE ONLY velcro strap work best with clips.

LIDL (crivit) and ALDI (Crane), have sold £20 shoes in the past are are more than up to the job I.M.O.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think the cheapest for the stelvio now is £67. A bit out of your price. Did you see if they still have stock at £59.99? I find the ones I have I can walk in them easy, probably the best shoes I have ever got. BUT they need to break in - not just the tops but the inner sole takes time to mould to your foot. The are a close fit. The left foot took more time than the right. In my case the shoe size is accurate. I think you have left it rather late to get a new pair of shoes.

I have used mine on some very rough hard stoned tracks with no problems. in fact the thick sole and inner sole puts to shame any light weight conventional shoe.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
What size shoes do you need :?:
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
What size shoes do you need :?:

Yes, I probably have left it too late for this trip but I might treat myself anyway.

I usually take a 9, but in some closer fitting shoes/trainers I take 9.5.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Approx 8 months of wear. much of those months as general foot wear. I also weigh just under 17 stone.

new & old
new & old
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Also laces and ONE ONLY velcro strap work best with clips.

Interested as to why you say just the one?
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

You mention that you don't like cleats and use toe clips. If you want something for all round use, I'd suggest having a look at some walking shoes. Cotswold Outdoor have a good range (breathable and waterproof) starting at £40 and if you're a CTC member you get 15% discount. I have a fairly elderly pair of cross trainers that I've used for some time and they work very well on flat pedals so should suit clips. In bad weather I use a pair of lightweight walking boots.

I'd also recommend a pair of flip flops for use in a hostel or shower block. The other thing you might consider is a pair of camp slippers. They're light and cosy.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Some shoes have laces only (older type) some have just velcro straps (normally used with clipless) some have just the one velcro across instep with laces.
The single velcro strap across the instep covers lace knot and is above the pedal clips.
With an all velcro double velcro strap shoe, the lower velcro strap tangles with the pedal clips :?:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Some shoes have laces only (older type) some have just velcro straps (normally used with clipless) some have just the one velcro across instep with laces.
The single velcro strap across the instep covers lace knot and is above the pedal clips.
With an all velcro double velcro strap shoe, the lower velcro strap tangles with the pedal clips :?:

Ah, my hardness of understanding I note :D
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Galloper wrote:You mention that you don't like cleats and use toe clips. If you want something for all round use, I'd suggest having a look at some walking shoes. Cotswold Outdoor have a good range (breathable and waterproof) starting at £40 and if you're a CTC member you get 15% discount. I have a fairly elderly pair of cross trainers that I've used for some time and they work very well on flat pedals so should suit clips. In bad weather I use a pair of lightweight walking boots.

I'd also recommend a pair of flip flops for use in a hostel or shower block. The other thing you might consider is a pair of camp slippers. They're light and cosy.

thanks for reply - I thought for while about this, but presumed either the sole wouldn't be firm enough when on the bike, or the shoe would be so firm it would be very heavy and bulky in the clips.
However, I do recall seeing some great Brasher walking shoes once that might have fitted the bill, the only thing that held me back was the price.

Thanks for the other tips too!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

As with any shoes, so with cycling shoes... there's a lot more to a good fit than a simple numerical size description. Feet are a complex 3d shape and you're best off finding some made on a last that's something like your own feet. If they're not a good shape for you they'll be uncomfortable and probably inefficient too.

So while my wife's touring shoes are Shimanos they're no use to me: far too narrow in the forefoot (I'm fine in their sandals byt the lack of upper means my feet aren't constricted) and if I get them broad enough there's a huge space in front of my toes. My current ones are Diadoras, Bontragers seem to fit me okay too, but unless your feet are like mine that's not necessarily any use to you.

This means trying a load on, which isn't always easy. If there's none available nearby to try mail order a load and be prepared to send at least some of them back.

The laces only thing, not uncommon for those to have a wee velcro laces-loop to tidy them away. Worth having something though, or sooner or later the laces will be chewed and/or wound around the pedal.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

In an amazing stroke of fortune I might have found a pair of the Exustar Stelvio on LFGSS classifieds from about a year ago! The seller still has them although he has moved country. They are my size.
I will let you know how things progress. Just in discussion now.