Rhine route?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Rhine route?

Post by nirakaro »

One of several possibilities for next year’s trip is a ride all the way up the Rhine from Rotterdam (who’d have thought that a bit of Italy would drain into the North Sea?). I’m thinking I might cut off the huge loop it makes to Basel by following Patrick Leigh Fermor’s route up the Neckar from Heidelberg, quick look at the Danube around Ulm, and rejoin the Rhine at Lake Constance. Any advice?
foxyrider

Re: Rhine route?

Post by foxyrider »

Not sure which bit of the Rhein rises in Italy, all the maps i've ever seen the source is firmly in Switzerland with input from Austria being the first non Swiss addition to the flow!

But back to the real question. The Neckar wobbles about quite a bit, once upstream of Heidelberg places of interest are not abundant and it of course passes through an extensive industrial area from Heilbronn to south of Stuttgart. From there to the source there are quite a few nice towns however in common with the whole length campsites are thin on the ground and i'd advise booking in high season - i've seen people on bikes turned away on occasion! Here is a link to the official website http://www.neckarradweg.de/neckarindex.html - i used the Bikeline guide when i've ridden it (most of the length over two different trips.)

The upper Danube (Donau in German) is fairly bland but with some nice castles and interesting geology. I rode upstream from Ulm to Donaueschingen over 2 days but 3 would have been more comfortable! Again, there isn't a lot of camping available and being quite popular other accomodation can be a bit pricey. Ulm is a typical German city, shops, Dom and railway station but nothing particularly exciting! It is however quite a lot north east of Bodensee (Lake Constance) - far enough for its own Esterbauer guide!

I actually found the Rhein better in terms of stuff to see and accomodation than Neckar or upper Donau - from Basel to Konstanz is for the most part very pleasant, nicely spaced and good supply of camping. I'd consider a bit of a hybrid of your idea taking out the 300km or so Ulm diversion instead taking the Donau to Tuttlingen or Sigmaringen then going south via Stockach to Bodensee. Or follow the Rhein to Karlsruhe before leaving to cross over to Stuttgart via Pforzheim to pick up the Neckar after the industrial stuff. TBH i caught a train for a few miles to avoid riding through Heilbronn last month 7 euros well spent!

if you want sightseeing or accomodation tips just ask
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Many thanks for that - very helpful. Look at Valle di Lei, 46deg30N 9deg27E (It is pretty tiny!). Thanks again.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

nirakaro wrote:Many thanks for that - very helpful. Look at Valle di Lei, 46deg30N 9deg27E (It is pretty tiny!). Thanks again.

Okay, i give you that!

Bizarrely the actual dam is Swiss!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!