Touring Map(s) Hebrides & West Coast

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
smuggers

Touring Map(s) Hebrides & West Coast

Post by smuggers »

Hoping to do my first tour next year & would be grateful for any advice in regards to paper maps for the above areas.. I had thought of buying a Garmin, but want to keep cost's down as I need to get a new tent, stove & various other bits before I set off in May. I would like to do some walking on Skye, so will need a more detailed map for the Cuillin region. Just want to know if I'm going to need many maps & which scale are best for using on a handlebar bag.. Any kind of advice would be appreciated as I'm a bit of a newbie to touring.. I do hope to do a test run into the Yorkshire Dales, before setting off for Scotland, just to make sure everything works as it should & I've not overlooked anything.

Kind Regards..

Smuggers.
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
MLJ

Re: Touring Map(s) Hebrides & West Coast

Post by MLJ »

A quarter-inch map is fine for the outer isles and west coast, as there are not that many roads anyway. I used a page from a road book but there are several maps available for this purpose. Obviously for walking you will need the 25000 OS map for the Cuillins.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Paper maps are great - the batteries never run down and you get a great overview, so I personally wouldn't want a Garmin in the first place. I always found the OS 1:1250 000 Western Scotland and the Western Isles to be about right for road cycling. No longer available from the OS. Scottish map seller Nicolsons maps used to do their own version but didn't look so available a second ago.

The best source then is the mighty Aqua3.com for a customised, waterproof, extended width/height map.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

MLJ wrote:A quarter-inch map is fine for the outer isles and west coast, as there are not that many roads anyway. I used a page from a road book but there are several maps available for this purpose. Obviously for walking you will need the 25000 OS map for the Cuillins.

Thanks MLJ.. I may look for a travel guide to Scotland with mapping included... Have picked up a 25000 OS map for the Cuillins.. Father-in-Law had an old one.. :-)

hufty wrote:Paper maps are great - the batteries never run down and you get a great overview, so I personally wouldn't want a Garmin in the first place. I always found the OS 1:1250 000 Western Scotland and the Western Isles to be about right for road cycling. No longer available from the OS. Scottish map seller Nicolsons maps used to do their own version but didn't look so available a second ago.

The best source then is the mighty Aqua3.com for a customised, waterproof, extended width/height map.

Thanks for the great link hufty.. Didn't know you could do customized maps..Have bookmarked & may order this..Covers exactly what I'm looking for.. Thanks.. :-)
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

OS 1:250,000 UK road maps are available free in digital form from a number of sources.

Check out Mapyx Quo.http://www.mapyx.com/index.asp

1:250K is more than adequate for Hebrides and West Coast of Scotland and you can purchase additional larger scale maps as and when you need them. The free software allows you to print A4 copies for your own use which are ideal in bar bag map cases.
jrclimber

Post by jrclimber »

For walking on the Black Cuillin Harvey's do a great map 1:25000 and 1:10000 of main ridge. Remember compasses are unreliable on the Cuillin and on the main ridge it is very easy to take the wrong route - one rock looks much like another in the mist! Study the routes in a guidebook carefully before you go. Hopefully the sun will shine out of clear skies for you.
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

Thanks for the replies everyone.. I've just picked up some great old maps, from my father in law.. He's also got some larger scale, detailed maps of the Cuillin region. I know compasses are useless in this area & will not even attempt to summit, unless it's a perfectly clear day.. Wouldn't dare risk walking in the mountains on my own in bad weather, although I know conditions can change so quickly in the mountains. Thanks again for the advice.. :-)
mcslaski

Post by mcslaski »

hufty wrote:Paper maps are great - the batteries never run down and you get a great overview, so I personally wouldn't want a Garmin in the first place. I always found the OS 1:1250 000 Western Scotland and the Western Isles to be about right for road cycling. No longer available from the OS. Scottish map seller Nicolsons maps used to do their own version but didn't look so available a second ago.

Decided to order a map after reading this. Impressive service; map arrived yesterday and in my excitement I opened the envelope a bit too enthusiastically. The map ended up in the washing up but I'm happy to report it is indeed totally waterproof....