Long Term Tour & Saddle Sore

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gplhl

Long Term Tour & Saddle Sore

Post by gplhl »

Hi All,

Anyone got any good practical advice other than the normal for coping/riding with saddle sores on a long term tour?

I already wash shorts every day, stand up regularly etc.

Normally I don't suffer with them and haven't had any real problems in the last 7k miles, but after riding round Mt. Kilimanjaro and putting in a stupidly long day, I now feel like I'm sitting on the blooming thing!!

I'm in Africa so drugs or medication are not that easy to get hold of and my next planned long stop (1 week) is still 700 miles away in Malawi.

Gary
http://www.longbikeride.co.uk
maxcherry

Re: Long Term Tour & Saddle Sore

Post by maxcherry »

Maybe you need a different saddle, different washing powder or body soap. Could be a whole host of things.

Which part of your bottom gets sore?
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
shane

Post by shane »

If you're already doing your best in the hygiene department about the best thing you can do is take a couple of days off. Not always possible but its the only real cure :oops:
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Ditch the padded shorts, when I did this my saddle sore days ended.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

When I really suffered on a very long tour, I changed from a Brooks which is extremely rigid at the back to a soft vinyl saddle. The parts taking the most hammering were moved, the sore ares rested, and this helped. Ibuprofin helped too. If you are riding on bumpy surfaces this makes things ten times worse. If you have two saddles with you, you can swap them every few days and give the painful areas a rest.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
lisap

Post by lisap »

A saddle sore will occur when you sit on the same part of your bottom and cut off the blood flow causing the flesh to effectively die. By moving around in the saddle, taking regular breaks and walking to get the blood flow moving again you will minimise the risk of getting them. if you do have one it may show as a very anaemic looking hard lump and it is important to reestablish the blood flow as soon as you can. They are normally known as pressure sores and the same as bed bound people suffer due to lack of movement.

Having had one on a long trip I can vouch for the fact that they are incredibly painful but they do go quickly once rested. If they ulcerate you may need medical treatment or antibiotics at the very least.

They are different to boils which occur from blocked pores usually caused by sweat and poor personal hygiene.
georgew

Post by georgew »

Sustained friction causes heat and in turn will create saddle sores. I would recommend a cream which stops the sweat and in turn cuts down on the friction.

Something like this and containing an antiseptic if possible.

http://udderlysmooth.co.uk/product/cham ... ea-butter/
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Thanks. Lisa. Yes I have 3 lumps varying in size, I've named them Kilimanjaro, Meru and Hanang after the mountains I've just been round and passed!

Not sure they have udderlysmooth in Tanzania georgew :-) but thanks. I've been using Sudocreme which helps that I'd carried from the start.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Awesome website. I know the Kenyan side of kili quite well. The roads are bound to give your backside a bruising. Try and keep the sweat levels down and as Shane says take some time out. It is an investment in the rest of the trip! Arusha will be the best place for supplies until Dar.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I have suddenly started suffering from these myself and changing to a different type of saddle worked for me. It changed the pressure points and gave the painful areas a rest.

Im planning a 2500 mile trip and contemplating taking two saddles, or finding another method of moving the pressure points around - maybe a different pad would have the same affect?
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Thanks All, now in Malawi, I was wearing DHB shorts and Endura Baggies over the top. Stopped wearing the baggies and things improved quite a bit. Now taking a few days rest so will hopefully completely heal.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
lisap

Post by lisap »

Pleased to hear your sores are feeling a bit better. Resting them really is the only thing to do but I like mnichols idea of two saddles to relieve the pressure.

Loved reading the blog, take care and enjoy your R&R.

Lisa
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

if you want to tour in comfort then why do it properly?

Obviously saddle sores are rather less likely, but I actually find the biggest comfort gains are in my wrists and arms (no weight on them) and my neck (no need to look up from a crouch to see where I'm going, and while you can avoid that by a bolt-upright position you'll catch a lot of wind that way).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...