St Malo to Narbonne

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LindaW

St Malo to Narbonne

Post by LindaW »

Hi, can anyone offer any advice on this? My friend and I are cycling this route next June. We want to go via La Rochelle and Cognac and then possibly Brive la Gaillarde to Figerac but I understand that may be hilly?! Alternatively, we'll go via Bergerac to Cahors and then on to Mazamet. Also is there a best route from Mazamet to Narbonne across the Black Mountains?
Any advice gratefully received for two ladies in their 50s! We have our touring bikes but we're more used to our road bikes so this will be a challenge!
Thank you!
Linda
gplhl

St Malo to Narbonne

Post by gplhl »

Hi Linda,

It's a beautiful route. I rode it earlier this year and may ride back to Olargue again next summer.

Mazamet to Narbonne, there's a cycle track that uses an old railway line takes you through Olargues (really pretty town), then you can go:

Roquebrun, Cessenon sur-orb, Puisserguier, Capestrang, Montels and Narbonne.

Below are my actual tracks:
Route from Castelnaudery to Olargues.
http://cyclemeter.com/9fb89c614db84b86/ ... 40524-0939

Route from Olargue to Narbonne
http://cyclemeter.com/9fb89c614db84b86/ ... 40601-1208

If you'd like to see my earlier route which takes in La Rochelle, give me a shout. You can ride canal Du Garonne and midi for a large part. Excellent flat cycling in shade with good paths.

Most of the ex railway line cycle paths are also excellent and not too hilly (trains can't do steep hills).

Gary
http://www.longbikeride.co.uk
anniesboy

Re: St Malo to Narbonne

Post by anniesboy »

Hi Linda,

My wife and I are planing to ride from Narbonne to home in Oxfordshire on our tandem, so we just might meet en route.

We have done it before and went via Mazamet this time we are looking at a flatter route, we will after all have a combined age of 143.
We are doing this to "celebrate" our golden wedding anniversary.

Our plans are only outline at present as we have to be fit/well enough to do this.
boink

Post by boink »

Hi Linda.

Did this ride with a couple of friends in summer of 2010 (seems like weeks not years ago). We stayed west and off main roads in the main. Joined the canal du midi 40 or so miles form Agen and stayed on (bar a few bits of road where it got too lumpy) all the way to Narbonne. Miunicipal campsites were great but I'd recommend getting a room near the coast..campsite we stayed at was so hard and pebbly we could hardly get pegs in.

We tended to average 65-70 miles a day, but in August the heat as we moved further south was so intense we'd set really early and get most miles in before lunch the a nice big break.

Here's a blog we all contributed to, which segues into my friend James' epic Norway to Athens ride.

http://www.medmen.org.uk/search?updated ... date=false
Fiduroe

Post by Fiduroe »

Hi, I am a newbie to CTC and to touring, and am planning trip from Calais to Narbonne next June. I can't get more than straight line routes from CTC website - anyone know why? Maybe I need to log in to more than just CTC website and forums.
Anyway maybe see you en route!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Fiduroe wrote:Hi, I am a newbie to CTC and to touring, and am planning trip from Calais to Narbonne next June. I can't get more than straight line routes from CTC website - anyone know why? Maybe I need to log in to more than just CTC website and forums.
Anyway maybe see you en route!

You may be better off going from Newhaven to Dieppe (only twice a day though) - that enables you to avoid the Paris region.
You can avoid most of the Rouen conglomeration by heading for Sahurs where there is a short free ferry (Bac) ride across the river to La Bouille.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

anniesboy wrote:Hi Linda,

My wife and I are planing to ride from Narbonne to home in Oxfordshire on our tandem, so we just might meet en route.

We have done it before and went via Mazamet this time we are looking at a flatter route, we will after all have a combined age of 143.
We are doing this to "celebrate" our golden wedding anniversary.

Our plans are only outline at present as we have to be fit/well enough to do this.

Sounds fantastic - can't wait to hear how you get on! :-)
davetb

Post by davetb »

Well done you two "Golden Oldies" Chris and I did a great tour this yr through France 700miles for our 50yrs together. Planning another next yr for the proper 50:o)

Go for it doesn't matter what distance you do/day just enjoy.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Very sadly my /our end to end is now on hold, health issues kick me hard.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=92670
Dweasle

Post by Dweasle »

We cycle-camped from Somerset to Narbonne last June, via Caen (port of Ouisterham). We had a great time, despite the weather, which was pretty wet and chilly at times.

I kept a journal, and the link is here, if you are interested:-

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=S ... 13782&v=Jc

Good luck, and enjoy your adventure.

Brian & Annie