The Struggle in lake district

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hgtevelo

The Struggle in lake district

Post by hgtevelo »

Hi

Probably daft question here, but I have cycled the "struggle" from the small roundabout out of Ambleside, Smuthy Row? And thought that was it, and been told it is, but....while walking in lakes last week I came down a road thinking flippin heck this looks a bugger, I will have to have a go at this, to only end up at the bottom of Kirkstone Road, nearby a gem shop I think. Went into a new bike shop in Ambleside (push it, I think it's called, nice place), where they told me yep what you just walked down is the struggle. But it wasn't the same road I went up when I cycled it before. Does it join up with the road from Smithy Row, as this " New" route I gave found looks even harder!!
lindagordinho

Re: The Struggle in lake district

Post by lindagordinho »

The road I know as The Struggle tops out just opposite the Kirkstone Pass Inn. It has a signpost on it - 'The Struggle'.
brumster

Post by brumster »

Sounds like you "branched" off the Struggle before reaching the smalI island at the bottom..
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

The Struggle really refers to the whole climb and there's only one road up to Kirkstone pass once you leave Ambleside. There are a couple of ways of getting onto that road in Ambleside (either Smithy Brow or North Road) but they don't make much of a difference. What I think you have done is come down from Scandale down Sweden Bridge Lane which was the old packhorse route up to High Sweden Bridge and (probably) Scandale Pass. In which case you were misinformed by the shop staff. they probably misunderstood what you were saying. The road up to Kirkstone is definitely "The Struggle" http://goo.gl/maps/Awb76

A silly question here but when you cycled up the Struggle you did actually go all the way to the top at Kirkstone Pass right? That's about 3 miles of constant steep climbing! Either you didn't go all the way to the top or your memory is fading if you think any of the other roads around Ambleside is tougher.
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

Yep Bicycler, defo went up the struggle via the small roundabout out of Ambleside and eventually up to the hairpins near the top of the Kirkstone inn. I seem to remember a road called Sweden bridge on the right as I walked down what I think is the kirkstone rd to the bottom where the gem or stone shop is, so by the sounds of it our wires have got crossed between me and the guys in the shop. Looked pretty steep to me walking down it and a climb I have not done before on my bike, it seemed to go on fir quite a way, but definitely not the "struggle"........although it would be!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

It's a long time since I walked up that road but I don't know how long it stays tarmac - obviously it is a bit of a dead end for vehicles. Looking at the map I can easily believe that it may be as steep as the struggle, but not as long.
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

Just had a look at Google earth and the road I am thinkin of is indeed north rd, which goes past the unicorn pub and then past kirkstone foot I think, it seemed to go on for quite a while and I only joined it bout half way down walking it I think, not quite sure where it ends up at though