Airport transfers in Majorca

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Aileen Brown

Airport transfers in Majorca

Post by Aileen Brown »

Can anyone recommend a reliable company to transfer us & our bikes from Palma to Polenca. The people we used last year charged £30 per person & took 90 minutes each way.
eileithyia

Re: Airport transfers in Majorca

Post by eileithyia »

If you can wait until tomorrow, Phil has a contact we use, on his phone can then sort it out for you, but options are Resort Hoppa as well, but not sure what they charge for bikes as we don't take ours. When are you going?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Aileen Brown

Post by Aileen Brown »

No hurry. We don't go until next spring. I'm trying to improve on the £30 per bike plus per person charge with a tour of the Island on route offered by Resort Hoppa
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Is it not possible to ride them if you have an early flight? It's not a tough ride.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

glynnisrowley@hotmail.com or +34677775 English taxi driver with Spanish hubby and staff, has bike carrying facilities. How much of a tour of the island did you get? 30e isn't bad considering at one stage we were going to be charged 40e to get from airport to Playa de Palma (end of the runway almost), on that occasion we used ordinary taxi to hotel ... 14e and since that first time, if at that resort use the bus 3e each.

It is possible to ride, but bear in mind all bikes usually arrive bagged up in bike boxes, and are not necessarily designed to carry lots of kit, tis a good ride over from the airport.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

It's 40 miles from the airport to Pollenca using the service roads. It's flat virtually all the way. Yes,luggage can be a problem depending on what you are taking. Seatpost rack and stuffsac?. I only take hand luggage and can put all of it in a rucksack if need be. I do a lot of washing though. Unboxing and building my bike in Porto a couple of weeks ago took ten minutes but I did have a hand with it.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Tomorrow we are using 'Speedy Shuffle' 79e for the return journey for 3 without bikes, to put your 30e with bikes into perspective, Aileen.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

This charging for bikes is a new thing with Resorthopper. They never used to charge. Just a way of extracting more money from you and putting up the cost and hassle of taking your own bike. I admitted defeat a while ago and just hire one. It is so much easier.
Aileen Brown

Post by Aileen Brown »

We will all have our bikes in boxes so riding sadly isn't an option. There will be several of us on the same bike so perhaps a private hire would be the best option if anyone has experience of a company with facilities to carry 6 bike boxes. A couple of us hired last year but ProCycles is very busy in spring so promised bikes were not ready. I'm not blaiming the shop. I think somebody had let him down but it seems safer to take your own bike.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As said we have used Glynnis, and she has had more than 6 bikes on a transport, so 6 would not be an issue. Have never used pro bike hire never trusted them since when, out of desperation Phil bought a cape, then we found he was charging 3x as much as anyone else, we always use velosportmallorca and never have any issues, they will also provide free breakdown support or recovery.