Has anyone ever toured in the winter?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
takeonafrica

Re: Has anyone ever toured in the winter?

Post by takeonafrica »

ArMoRothair wrote:I heard someone from the British Antarctic Survey team being interviewed and she said -30° was okay, it was when things dipped below -40° that the real problems started, and at -50° it was pure survival, meaningful work was impossible.

From experience, I would say this is a very accurate description. Winter biking down to -30C with good equipment is actually great and I'd highly recommend it if you're tempted. Even down to -35C is OK.

As for cycling in Siberia in December - based on what it was like in February, I would not recommend it! Well, yes, it was brilliant in many ways and also really tough, and if you have this urge to do it, then definitely go because it is an amazing experience. But it is not something that should ever be recommended like you would the latest ben and jerry's flavour ice-cream or cinema release! Because the temperature will drop to -50C and rarely get above -30C in the day and then it's just about surviving, and that's not fun and not why I cycle tour.
http://www.helenstakeon.com
Books: Desert Snow and A Siberian Winter's Tale