Has anyone ever toured in the winter?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
eileithyia

Re: Has anyone ever toured in the winter?

Post by eileithyia »

ukdodger wrote:Thanks for all the encouraging posts. I think I'm going to chance it.

You'll enjoy it, just go for it, it really is no worse than a usual club run, just over a couple of days. As with anything, start simple and just do a short break with just 1-2 nights away.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

ukdodger wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
ukdodger wrote:Here's a medal! how many days were those rides and out of interest what did you use for leg and feet covering? If any :shock:

If it's below freezing, lots of things are easier, as Shane rightly points out. It's much easier to dress for cold than wet & cold. Wool tights, plus thermal tights, plus some over trousers on my legs (wind blocking material is essential). On my feet, two pairs of wool socks and (oversized) lined winter boots.

If it's wet and near freezing, I wear thermal tights with waterproof trousers over them, wool socks and hiking boots. If I'm out multiple days in wet & cold, I usually end up with a layer of plastic carrier bag in my boots because even waterproof ones seem to eventually soak through with repeated exposure, and no chance to dry overnight.

VP how does one cycle in fur lined boots lined again with plastic bags? :(

It's my hiking boots that get the plastic bags. And those are only for repeated days of wet. I used them once this year 8) I was on a short atumn tour in the Norwegian mountains. And ended up in 3 days of 5 to 7 C and heavy rain. After the second day, I was pouring water out of my boots, so I put plastic bags in for the last day. Hot showers and restaurant meals at the end of each day were very much appreciated!

I don't have fur lined boots. Just lined boots.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Assume you werent using cleats then! I've cycled in wellies before but not far :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

8,600km across Siberia starting in December perhaps?

http://www.tim.hi-ho.ne.jp/andow/fareas ... eport.html
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

pete75 wrote:8,600km across Siberia starting in December perhaps?

Pass.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

shane wrote:Many good tips already, but here goes :D
Haven't decided if Im going to Scotland, The Lakes or Spain for my trip this winter....Im done with that really cold stuff, its too much like hard work :) Luckily Helen loves it and will paint a totally different picture :)

Ultimate respect.

I've been to Lapland three times - skiing, not cycling - and have experienced -30°. It is far colder than most British Islanders can imagine. I was out in it all day and even with ski gear and a very good Mountain Equipment Annapurna jacket on top, and a North Face Nuptse vest under, I was chilling off to the point that I had to get indoors. I could not have camped that night without a serious upgrade to my clothing.

I heard someone from the British Antarctic Survey team being interviewed and she said -30° was okay, it was when things dipped below -40° that the real problems started, and at -50° it was pure survival, meaningful work was impossible.
Last edited by ArMoRothair on 15 Oct 2014, 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ukdodger wrote:

Pass.

Notice the chap is from the Japan Adventure Cyclist Club - there's a club that lives up to it's name !!
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

pete75 wrote:
ukdodger wrote:

Pass.

Notice the chap is from the Japan Adventure Cyclist Club - there's a club that lives up to it's name !!

The Japs are nuts anyway. I'm minded of that TV game of theirs 'Endurance' :shock:
hotsauce

Post by hotsauce »

I used to tour fixed in the winter. 68" of pain! Toured all over the North York moors, Ireland, Scotland and Brittany. Favourite time to get away was just after Christmas, to beat the winter blues!!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

hotsauce wrote:I used to tour fixed in the winter. 68" of pain! Toured all over the North York moors, Ireland, Scotland and Brittany. Favourite time to get away was just after Christmas, to beat the winter blues!!

Seems like everybody is at it!
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

hotsauce wrote:I used to tour fixed in the winter. 68" of pain! Toured all over the North York moors, Ireland, Scotland and Brittany. Favourite time to get away was just after Christmas, to beat the winter blues!!

Respect!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

ukdodger wrote:Assume you werent using cleats then! I've cycled in wellies before but not far :D

Nope; don't get on with cleats. I've cycled in wellies a couple of times, too. :D
Cycling in the winter, I wear hiking boots until it get a few degrees below freezing. Then, my hiking boots don't keep my feet warm anymore, so I wear lined winter boots and two pairs of wool socks). If it's that cold, there's also usually snow on the ground, so I don't go so fast anyway. The extra work of riding in winter boots isn't as much as the extra work for riding in snow & ice.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Vorpal wrote:
ukdodger wrote:Assume you werent using cleats then! I've cycled in wellies before but not far :D

Nope; don't get on with cleats. I've cycled in wellies a couple of times, too. :D
Cycling in the winter, I wear hiking boots until it get a few degrees below freezing. Then, my hiking boots don't keep my feet warm anymore, so I wear lined winter boots and two pairs of wool socks). If it's that cold, there's also usually snow on the ground, so I don't go so fast anyway. The extra work of riding in winter boots isn't as much as the extra work for riding in snow & ice.

What pedals do you use in the summer?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

ukdodger wrote:What pedals do you use in the summer?

Flats with strapless toe clips.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Vorpal wrote:
ukdodger wrote:What pedals do you use in the summer?

Flats with strapless toe clips.

What flats?

I ask because I ride with Rubber block flats but not the MK type. You cant get to the bearings on those and those old Phillips I have are worn out. A suitable modern replacement would be great. Shimano used to make a metal flat that stayed flat side up when you took your foot off. But wouldnt you know it. Not any more.