Has anyone ever toured in the winter?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: Has anyone ever toured in the winter?

Post by Vorpal »

ukdodger wrote:Here's a medal! how many days were those rides and out of interest what did you use for leg and feet covering? If any :shock:

If it's below freezing, lots of things are easier, as Shane rightly points out. It's much easier to dress for cold than wet & cold. Wool tights, plus thermal tights, plus some over trousers on my legs (wind blocking material is essential). On my feet, two pairs of wool socks and (oversized) lined winter boots.

If it's wet and near freezing, I wear thermal tights with waterproof trousers over them, wool socks and hiking boots. If I'm out multiple days in wet & cold, I usually end up with a layer of plastic carrier bag in my boots because even waterproof ones seem to eventually soak through with repeated exposure, and no chance to dry overnight.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Vorpal wrote:
ukdodger wrote:Here's a medal! how many days were those rides and out of interest what did you use for leg and feet covering? If any :shock:

If it's below freezing, lots of things are easier, as Shane rightly points out. It's much easier to dress for cold than wet & cold. Wool tights, plus thermal tights, plus some over trousers on my legs (wind blocking material is essential). On my feet, two pairs of wool socks and (oversized) lined winter boots.

If it's wet and near freezing, I wear thermal tights with waterproof trousers over them, wool socks and hiking boots. If I'm out multiple days in wet & cold, I usually end up with a layer of plastic carrier bag in my boots because even waterproof ones seem to eventually soak through with repeated exposure, and no chance to dry overnight.

VP how does one cycle in fur lined boots lined again with plastic bags? :(
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

ukdodger wrote:
landsurfer wrote:The winter trip to the north of Scotland took 5 days, 1 day was lost to bad weather. We spent it in the tent. With a bottle of scotch. We had planned to visit Cape Wrath but time and the weather was against us.

Very brave and adventurous. Almost a qualifier for the SAS. Dunno how you did it.

All 3 of us are ex RAF Mountain Rescue, all love the cold and snow, if we had the capacity our surf boards would have been with us as well ......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

:lol:
landsurfer wrote:
ukdodger wrote:
landsurfer wrote:The winter trip to the north of Scotland took 5 days, 1 day was lost to bad weather. We spent it in the tent. With a bottle of scotch. We had planned to visit Cape Wrath but time and the weather was against us.

Very brave and adventurous. Almost a qualifier for the SAS. Dunno how you did it.

All 3 of us are ex RAF Mountain Rescue, all love the cold and snow, if we had the capacity our surf boards would have been with us as well ......

:lol:
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

shane wrote:Luckily Helen loves it and will paint a totally different picture :)

Since Helen doesn't seem to be around at the moment, here's a link to her blog
2000km from Yakutsk to Magadan, Siberia
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

andrew_s wrote:
shane wrote:Luckily Helen loves it and will paint a totally different picture :)

Since Helen doesn't seem to be around at the moment, here's a link to her blog
2000km from Yakutsk to Magadan, Siberia

Blimey. I'm just a lad..
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

tbh cold is just a state of mind- this is (almost) true to life-

+15 C This is as warm as it gets in Finland, so we'll start here. People in Spain wear winter-coats and gloves. The Finns are out in the sun, getting
a tan.

+10 C The French are trying in vain to start their central heating. The Finns plant flowers in their gardens.

+5 C Italian cars won't start, The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.

0 C Distilled water freezes. The water in Vantaa river (in Finland) gets a little thicker.

-5 C People in California almost freeze to death. The Finns have their final barbecue before winter.

-10 C The Brits start the heat in their houses. The Finns start using long sleeves

-20 C The Aussies flee from Mallorca. The Finns end their Midsummer celebrations. Autumn is here.

-30 C People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth. The Finns start drying their laundry indoors.

-40 C Paris starts cracking in the cold. The Finns stand in line at the hotdog stands.

-50 C Polar bears start evacuating the North Pole. The Finnish army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.

-60 C Korvatunturi (the home for Santa Claus) freezes. The Finns rent a movie and stay indoors.

-70 C The false Santa moves south. The Finns get frustrated since they can't store their Kossu (Koskenkorva vodka) outdoors. The Finnish army goes out on winter survival training.

-183 C Microbes in food don't survive. The Finnish cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.

-273 C ALL atom-based movent halts. The Finns start saying "Perkele, it's cold outside today.

-300 C Hell freezes over, Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

CliveyT wrote:tbh cold is just a state of mind- this is (almost) true to life-

+15 C This is as warm as it gets in Finland, so we'll start here. People in Spain wear winter-coats and gloves. The Finns are out in the sun, getting
a tan.

+10 C The French are trying in vain to start their central heating. The Finns plant flowers in their gardens.

+5 C Italian cars won't start, The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.

0 C Distilled water freezes. The water in Vantaa river (in Finland) gets a little thicker.

-5 C People in California almost freeze to death. The Finns have their final barbecue before winter.

-10 C The Brits start the heat in their houses. The Finns start using long sleeves

-20 C The Aussies flee from Mallorca. The Finns end their Midsummer celebrations. Autumn is here.

-30 C People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth. The Finns start drying their laundry indoors.

-40 C Paris starts cracking in the cold. The Finns stand in line at the hotdog stands.

-50 C Polar bears start evacuating the North Pole. The Finnish army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.

-60 C Korvatunturi (the home for Santa Claus) freezes. The Finns rent a movie and stay indoors.

-70 C The false Santa moves south. The Finns get frustrated since they can't store their Kossu (Koskenkorva vodka) outdoors. The Finnish army goes out on winter survival training.

-183 C Microbes in food don't survive. The Finnish cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.

-273 C ALL atom-based movent halts. The Finns start saying "Perkele, it's cold outside today.

-300 C Hell freezes over, Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest.

Great detail, so in summary if your from a cold region, one can get used to it, far harder for a person used to a hotter region as indicated above.

Not surprising with the Finns they're soldiers are great winter soldiers.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

ukdodger wrote:
eileithyia wrote:PS Leg covering; usually normal winter cycling longs, thicker pair of socks, normal shoes, I have toyed with over shoes but never really found them very satisfactory, but always always have spare dry socks with me.

I've tried everything to keep my feet and legs dry but nothing does. So I gave up trying.

So did I. But I do find cycling longs often dry fairly quickly and start drying out quite a bit between rain showers anyway.

TBH small hotels etc., just did not fit in with the model of the cycling club going off together to a hostel, self cooking etc., plus the price was a major consideration. To be fair while there has been a few bad days that stick in the mind, there are also the glorious sunny crisp days when it is a joy to be out, the last weekend of Jan one year where we had the sunniest Jan weekend on record overnighting at Ironbridge.
Glorious winter days on the Peak District trails before riding back to Cov.
Only a couple of really persistent all day rain sticks in the memory banks, a ride home from Stow hostel, and another one from the Peaks. But as home was the destination it was not such a hardship as all the kit went straight in the wash. On the plus side was always the fun, laughter and camaraderie of being with friends all suffering the same conditions.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I've been cycle-camping in Jaunary and February and completed a JOGLE in March. One advantage is you tend to wear all your warm cycle clothing rather than carry it just in case. I use the the Altura water repellent Roubaix bib-tights over bib shorts with over trousers stood by for torrential rain, they dry well enough. Various makes of windproof tops are sufficient, I have a couple of comparatively inexpensive tops that will go to a UK -5 degrees. Windproof skull cap or balaclava in extreme cases (some of my winter mountaineering kit doubles up.). The bike gets filthy pretty quick, so I wash it when I can and lube the chain every 2 or 3 days.

The tent never seems to get dry, but there are plenty of pubs with real fires for drying gear. I use a synthetic chamoise or flannel to dry the inside of the tent when first erected and then do alley other jobs before setting out my sleeping mat and other gear.

Finding enough campsites that are open isn't easy, but hasn't stopped me going anywhere in the UK.

Edit: I use lightweigh down jacket and trousers for non-cycling and a lightweight 4-Season sleeping bag. A couple of hours in the pub for a meal and a drink, an hour with a paperback and lots of sleep!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

eileithyia wrote:
ukdodger wrote:
eileithyia wrote:PS Leg covering; usually normal winter cycling longs, thicker pair of socks, normal shoes, I have toyed with over shoes but never really found them very satisfactory, but always always have spare dry socks with me.

I've tried everything to keep my feet and legs dry but nothing does. So I gave up trying.

So did I. But I do find cycling longs often dry fairly quickly and start drying out quite a bit between rain showers anyway.

TBH small hotels etc., just did not fit in with the model of the cycling club going off together to a hostel, self cooking etc., plus the price was a major consideration. To be fair while there has been a few bad days that stick in the mind, there are also the glorious sunny crisp days when it is a joy to be out, the last weekend of Jan one year where we had the sunniest Jan weekend on record overnighting at Ironbridge.
Glorious winter days on the Peak District trails before riding back to Cov.
Only a couple of really persistent all day rain sticks in the memory banks, a ride home from Stow hostel, and another one from the Peaks. But as home was the destination it was not such a hardship as all the kit went straight in the wash. On the plus side was always the fun, laughter and camaraderie of being with friends all suffering the same conditions.

Nicely put. I'm hankering to get going. I cycle mostly alone or with the same friends or with charity rides. But the great joy of cycling is as you say the camaraderie. Even cycling alone you meet up with cyclists who stop and chat and charity rides you meet a whole new bunch of people. Doing less and less of that now though as the charities seem to be getting a bit greedy wanting enormous sums raised to take part. When I started £50 was plenty!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

phil parker wrote:I've been cycle-camping in Jaunary and February and completed a JOGLE in March. One advantage is you tend to wear all your warm cycle clothing rather than carry it just in case. I use the the Altura water repellent Roubaix bib-tights over bib shorts with over trousers stood by for torrential rain, they dry well enough. Various makes of windproof tops are sufficient, I have a couple of comparatively inexpensive tops that will go to a UK -5 degrees. Windproof skull cap or balaclava in extreme cases (some of my winter mountaineering kit doubles up.). The bike gets filthy pretty quick, so I wash it when I can and lube the chain every 2 or 3 days.

The tent never seems to get dry, but there are plenty of pubs with real fires for drying gear. I use a synthetic chamoise or flannel to dry the inside of the tent when first erected and then do alley other jobs before setting out my sleeping mat and other gear.

Finding enough campsites that are open isn't easy, but hasn't stopped me going anywhere in the UK.

Edit: I use lightweigh down jacket and trousers for non-cycling and a lightweight 4-Season sleeping bag. A couple of hours in the pub for a meal and a drink, an hour with a paperback and lots of sleep!

What do you do for gloves? That's my biggest bugbear. After 10m or so in winter my thumbs disappear. One of the few times I welcome a hill.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I can't remember what make my gloves are, but they are usually ok barring a couple of really cold days I've had.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

My hands usually warm up by themselves after 2-3 miles as the blood in my veins warms up and starts to circulate.

Sometimes, as said, it is easier to cycle in winter cos you just wear your cold weather gear, Easter tour is worst as you can go from cold frosty starts to days sunny and warm as summer, and you are discarding layers that have to be carried.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Thanks for all the encouraging posts. I think I'm going to chance it.