Motorhome Support

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
go4it

Motorhome Support

Post by go4it »

Has any one ever used MH as a support vehicle on Tour, in 'enviable' position of having a non-cycling wife, who can drive MH.
Interested in Routes/Campsites.
Thanks
barrym

Re: Motorhome Support

Post by barrym »

A friend of mine used his MH to support two guys on a LeJog last year. If that's of interest, pm me your email address and I'll put you in touch.

Cheers
Barry
--
Cheers
Barry
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Why not, if OH is happy to drive between stop points while you cycle, is it any different to any other motorised support vehicle / sag wagon etc. Providing there is scope for the driver to enjoy their interests during the day; shopping, sight seeing, walking, bird watching or whatever...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
go4it

Post by go4it »

Thanks for that, that is not the problem. I was looking for experience of distances and camping for MH. I think most support vehicles/ sag wagons use B&B's as opposed to Campsites en-route.
dellwood33

Post by dellwood33 »

We have used the motorhome as a base for travelling different parts of the country. We used Caravan Club sites or CLs mostly & set up "Camp" for a few days and explored that area on our bikes. We then moved to another venue & explored another area.
Makes for a variety of different road/terrain types & if you really like an area you can just stay longer. :)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm not sure if you are new to cycling or camping in a van. What now have is a high degree of flexibility.

Basically you have a number of options, you just choose the one(s) that appeal.These might be different on different days,depending on what you want to do that day.

You can pre book your campsites and then meet there. Alternatively you can meet at an arranged place, load on your bike and drive to where you want to camp. The former means you cycle all the way and the latter enables you to choose camping places off your cycle route.

If you are unsure of how far you will cycle you can liaise via mobile phone to arrange an end of day pick up, then find a site.

Obviously your wife will have a say in this (??). She might prefer to have a fixed destination so she can set up camp and have your dinner cooking! Perhaps you should ask her how she wants to play it.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

This would be an ideal way of doing LEJOG/JOGLE over 2 or 3 weeks.

See my blog for a route suggestion, though we stayed in B&B's rather than camping.

Other suggestions would be the various side to side routes - C2C, Reivers route, Hadrian's Cycleway, Way of the Roses - these only take 3-4 days but you can string them together to do a there and back again route. Lon Las Cymru and Coast and Castles are others.

Also have a look in the Camping sub-section - particularly Campsite reviews. No reason why you couldn't do a cycle-camping route, overnighting in the Motorhome.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Also a good opportunity to do something more exotic. Something like riding the Western Front, about 500 kms from Switzerland to the coast. Ideal trip for the 2 of you.

I call the van/driver etc my LSU ( logistic support unit) and god bless 'em!
go4it

Post by go4it »

I would like to say a big thank you for all answers. Are there any itineraries I could try out, distances and camp sites ?
Thanks once again.