Plym valley and the rest

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Plym valley and the rest

Post by honesty »

Did a short 2 day camping tour on Monday and Tuesday this week starting in Plymouth and taking in Devon coast to coast to Okehampton, then across to Tiverton, then up the canal to home in Taunton. Some thoughts.
the Plym valley trail is lovely, really nice ride, lovely tarmac surface, beautiful scenery, and hardly any people. 2 things could have made this section better though, the awful surface through Saltram woods, and the really steep hill just outside of Yelverton where the route is diverted onto a lane.
The main B road from Tavistock to Lydford is probably the best route, but like last time I did it, it seemed to go on for ever.
The Granite Way with its new connecting bit in the middle its most definitely my favourite off road trail in the area, even with the amount of beech nut shells all over it, and with the quagmire that is the permissive access bit.
Camping is fun, even in the rain, but a 5kg tent is probably a bit heavy. It redeemed itself a bit by having enough space in the awning to put my bike in to keep dry on Monday night though! On weight, my 2kg Eurohike sleeping bag is looking a bit podgy as well! Appledore Park was a really nice site in Okehampton by the way.
The best coffee you can get is the one you find by surprise when you really, really need a hot drink. Helped that the cakes tasted fantastic as well. The Church Street Stores in Morchard Bishop is definitely worth a stop in if you are in the area (I even had 2 pieces of cake!)
Roads on google maps, and even on the OS, are sometimes not roads, but rocky, ridiculously steep cart tracks. The old turnpike road to Groubear Bridge is beautiful but not something I want to be pushing a loaded touring bike up again.
Tiverton canal was a beautiful ride, but with the number of bridges I had to go under I really don't know how they very nice guy from http://www.freetrike.co.uk/ got his ICE trike round all of them. Had a nice 10 minute chat with him and got to oggle his Sprint RSX. It may not have helped my wallet to find out there is an ICE dealer so close to me...

All in all, a successful first attempt at cycle camping. 95 miles done, and felt ok, though would have really liked lower gears at some points. Also need to remember a pillow next time, my neck can only survive so long using spare clothes as a stand in.
WP_20141006_17_41_24_Pro.jpg
WP_20141006_19_03_05_Pro.jpg
horizon

Re: Plym valley and the rest

Post by horizon »

honesty wrote:Camping is fun, even in the rain, but a 5kg tent is probably a bit heavy.

The two might be connected, especially at this time of year. Great report - really your first cycle camping trip?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
honesty

Post by honesty »

Heavy weight tent definitely helped with rain and temperature.

Yeh every other cycling tour has been B&Bing. Done a lot of walking camping but never on the bike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A good way from Plympton to Okehampton is up Borringdon Hill out of Colebrook, over Cadover Bridge, to Yeleverton.
Then from Yeleverton, head through Walkhampton to Tavistock via Whitchurch.
From Tavy, go out via Brentor to Lydford, then the Granite Way to Sourton where you get off onto the A386 and drop down to Okehampton along the Old A30.

Personally, I'd leave Plympton for Plymouth city centre, head all the way to Tavistock and to Okehampton on the main A386. Fast, simple, basic.
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

If my goal was to get through as quickly as possible then I would do that, but that wasn't my goal. I enjoyed cycling the plym valley trail which was the idea.
PrinterJohn

Post by PrinterJohn »

Put your clothes into the tent bag, it will make a good pillow. Just putting clothes under your head as you have found is useless. Cheers John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I've done it, and I agree about the steep hill. Stupid design.
The route through Saltram I would agree too. Tree roots and rough bare soil if I remember correctly.
Best part was going under Marshmills Roundabout past all the graffiti on the concrete walls of the flyover listening to the thundering traffic above on the A38. :lol:

Another segment to consider, is Drake's Trail from Yelverton to Tavistock over Gem Bridge and through the Brunel Tunnel under Grenofen. Two comments from me:
The tunnel is fun but pitch dark. You need lights!
Gem Bridge cost 3m quid to build. Total and complete waste of money.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I understand Mick F's about fast and clean roads, but when touring your time is you own to wander at lesiure.
I decided to do a double coast to coast(Torquay - Plymouth-Ilfracombe-Minehead- Exeter-Dawlish-Torquay) but used as cycle paths as well and was well and trully cream crackered hitting barstaple in 30 degrees C :?

I like exploring and the paths and break up the boring road where you just put your head down.
Though attempting the double in one day zonked me out, 1st time cut short 200 miles, 2nd time 250 miles and missed out dawlish but went over the 24 hrs :(
South Hams and N-Devon has good hills.....................
Vowed I would do it a gain and stuff the gravel tracks of Plym and Tarka, whatever you do dont go up from Plymouth on the tracks do it downhill from Barnstaple.

Tiverton canal how far does it run, sounds good fun :?:

Edited - how was the path south of clearbrook ? it was due for repair.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Put my clothes in the sleeping bag stuff case, still not great though!

Mickf one thing I forgot to mention, this was also a trial run for my dynamo light system which were great in those tunnels (usb charging worked well as well!)

Tiverton canal runs from Tiverton almost all the way to Cothey manor, about 10 miles I think. There's one or two diversions through villages if you follow the marked route though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Dynamo lights!
Excellent! :D

The tunnel on the Plym trail is as bad as the one on Drake's Trail. Yes, there are lights in them, but they are wholly inadequate ............. unless you have decent lights. :D

First time I went though Genofen Tunnel, it was sunny and bright and as I entered the tunnel I was fine ......... for about 50yds, then it was pitch black. I could see the far end in bright light and it blinded me to the darkness, and I rode though absolutely not knowing if there was a walker or cyclist in front of me or what the road surface was like.

I slowed to a snail's pace, and very gingerly made my way through into the light. Unscathed thank goodness. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yeh the lights in both of them just highlight the darkness if that makes sense. I was lucky to have dynamo lights this time round, and having a button on the handlebars to turn them on quickly was very nice.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You can buy them but I made mine.
All you need is a pillow case made of fleece material, to stuff your clothes in.
But it only needs to be half the size of a real pillow case, fleece is good on your skin not sweaty like a tent bag etc.
Mine weighs just 80 grams.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.