Getting AROUND the Pyranees

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
superflychris

Getting AROUND the Pyranees

Post by superflychris »

Hey guys...

I am currently in La Rochelle and attempting to get to Barcelona by avoiding any silly huge climbs... I'm not a hugely experienced cyclist and I am carrying all my own gear (from London). I initially thought that a route from Biarritz to Pamploma then accross might work until I looked at this cool site (http://www.doogal.co.uk/RouteElevation.php) that suggested a 2,905 metre ascent... YIKES.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received! I have been averaging about 100km per day if that matters, mostly pretty flat though.

Chris
Last edited by superflychris on 7 Oct 2014, 5:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatanab

Re: Getting AROUND the Pyranees

Post by tatanab »

I put Bairritz to Pamplona into that website and it gave a maximum altitude of 900 metres, which I know to be about right because I have crossed towards the western end. That is Bairritz - Cambo les Bains, Ainhoa then over the border to Elizondo. I assume your 10km a day is an error.
superflychris

Post by superflychris »

Yes, I've corrected it!

I think it's the overall ascent over the day rather the maximum altitude that's a concern to me... maybe I should just toughen up a bit. But I've only climbed 5150m in the last 1000km so climbing 3000m in 100km is intimitdating.

How did you find it?

Thanks for the help so far.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I was coming the other way, from Spain. The climb was shallow and steady, I did not use my little gears, and nicely surfaced so if you descend that way it should be a nice descent. I was carrying camping kit and at the time I was not quite 60 years old.
pq

Post by pq »

If you're fit enough to do that ride, you're fit enough to cross the Pyrenees wherever takes your fancy. In fact it would be a highlight of the trip. Don't underestimate your abilities or overestimate how difficult it is to ride slowly up a big pass. Give yourself a day to do each pass, (you won't need to do more than 2), and you'll be amazed what you're capable of.
One link to your website is enough. G
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

superflychris wrote:II initially thought that a route from Biarritz to Pamploma then accross might work until I looked at this cool site (http://www.doogal.co.uk/RouteElevation.php) that suggested a 2,905 metre ascent... YIKES.

An altitude like that wold put you at risk of altitude sickness. Varies for different people but if not acclimatised then many think you should start being careful above 2400m (and from memory you can acclimatise at 300m per day. But, assuming you would not be going up to 2900m and staying there you should be ok (using the "climb high, sleep low" idea).

But, it's the Pyrenees so I suspect the 2900m is a bit of an overestimate.

Ian
RickH

Post by RickH »

Psamathe wrote:
superflychris wrote:II initially thought that a route from Biarritz to Pamploma then accross might work until I looked at this cool site (http://www.doogal.co.uk/RouteElevation.php) that suggested a 2,905 metre ascent... YIKES.

An altitude like that wold put you at risk of altitude sickness. Varies for different people but if not acclimatised then many think you should start being careful above 2400m (and from memory you can acclimatise at 300m per day. But, assuming you would not be going up to 2900m and staying there you should be ok (using the "climb high, sleep low" idea).

Ian

I think you are misunderstanding. Is it not several ascents with descents in between giving a total gain rather than a maximum altitude?

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RickH wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

I think you are misunderstanding. Is it not several ascents with descents in between giving a total gain rather than a maximum altitude?

Rick

I would think so.

Ian
steveja1963

Post by steveja1963 »

I just did the route from St Jean de Pied to Burgette this week. Not bad at all. Max height 1050 metres and between 6 and 7% max climb rate. Comfortable. Pyrenees are not that tough if you take the low passes.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Yep, St Jean pied de port onto the Roncevalles pass is very doable. My now husband did this as his first mountain with camping kit etc, he was convinced he wouldn't make it and could turn round and pick up the train at St Jean pied de port but he was fine. It's also a very historic route as part of the camino which should give an illustration of gradient. The main trick with a big pass is to head up at a sensible time in the morning. This avoids either the heat of the day or running so slow that you are late and so have problems with accomodation on the other side. Take plenty of short breaks if you need them and don't forget plenty of water and snacks.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Do you have a low enough bottom gear to ride comfortably in the mountains?
You will have long climbs with occasionally steep sections. Provided you ride within yourself - always take it easy at the beginning of a climb and allow time to find a comfortable rhythm . One idea some people use is to take a short break - about a minute- every kilometre.
+1 for making an early start and allowing enough time for your planned objective. Darkness comes on quickly in the mountains. I've found myself making a long descent in the dark - not enjoyable without really good lights :(
RickH

Post by RickH »

The mountain roads are, generally, fairly gentle gradients that you can just plod up as long as you have a suitable gear.

I was just looking at my Garmin stats for the Bordeaux to Barcelona (via Bagnères-de-Luchon) ride I did in 2011.

The first day out of Bordeaux was 45 miles and I logged at total of 2486ft of ascent with the highest point being 360ft above sea level.

The third day (selected purely because of the distance ridden - it wasn't anything particularly out of the ordinary) was 41 miles and 3140 ft of ascent. Rolling countryside with several crossings of river valleys but with only one hill topping out above 800ft, recorded at 857ft, so we weren't in mountainous terrain.

B2B 2011 day 3 - Barbotan-les-Thermes to Marciac<br />(click to enlarge)
B2B 2011 day 3 - Barbotan-les-Thermes to Marciac
(click to enlarge)

The highest day in the middle (8th day- but 7th riding day - of 11 days)s) of the ride we did 41 miles and 3634 ft of ascent - the highest point on that day was ~6800ft (the Port de la Bonaigua, 2072m). We started the day at nearly 3,800ft and it was basically 10 miles of steady climb which took me about an hour and 40 minutes of riding time (I was doing a fairly constant 5 to 6 mph) from the start and the rest of the day was pretty much all downhill.

B2B 2011 day 8 Arties to Sort<br />(click to enlarge)
B2B 2011 day 8 Arties to Sort
(click to enlarge)

Note the different vertical scales

You can get to Bagnères-de-Luchon without going over anything very major (although we did the Port de Balles - classed as HC on the TdF). From there to Barcelona you can just bump over steady, but quite long, climbs most of the way.

First time I rode in the Pyreness I found that the prospect was much worse than they turned out to be in practice - we were riding down to Barcelona from Cherbourg.

The only thing about the mountains is the weather can sometimes be unpredictable but I've found the Spanish side of the Pyrenees tends to generally do better than the French side.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.