Berlin to Copenhagen

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
FionainYorkshire

Berlin to Copenhagen

Post by FionainYorkshire »

Has anyone cycled the Berlin to Copenhagen route recently, either independently or as a guided trip?
monxton

Re: Berlin to Copenhagen

Post by monxton »

June 2014, independently. You have a question?
pal

Post by pal »

I too did it (independently) a few years ago, and would be happy to answer questions. It's a good ride: not very demanding, but nice scenery and interesting things along the way. The Bikeline guidebook is worth having, even if you don't read German.
FionainYorkshire

Thanks for replies. My questions are

- what time of year did you make the trip?
- what accommodation did you use?
- did you book accommodation in advance or were you able to find some on the day?
- how long did you take over the trip?
- how rough were the unpaved sections (we are planning to make the trip on Bromptons)?

I have the German guide book but my German is not good!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

2008, in the Autumn. Stayed in B and Bs and hotels. There were some unpaved sections and some very sandy in Germany. Also some lage concrete slab areas. Bromptons a bad idea for some of the German bit.
pal

Post by pal »

I also went in 2008, in July (and spent 7 days cycling). I stayed in B&Bs/hotels, which I'd booked in advance, though I think I could have got away without doing so (except in the big cities): places were generally fairly quiet, esp. in the German section. I agree with the previous poster about the surfaces: they're generally good, but there are some rough sections, esp. on the forest tracks. I was on 28mm tyres, and just about managed (but one of my rims did collapse just before CPH -- perhaps a coincidence, but...).

(I stayed at this place south of CPH: recommended, if you want to give yourself an almost-at-the-end treat: http://www.roedvigkro.dk/)
monxton

Post by monxton »

We did the route in May/June 2014, as part of a longer trip starting from Prague. (Full trip: ferry Harwich to Hook of Holland, cycle to Amsterdam, overnight train to Prague, cycle to Copenhagen, train to Esbjerg, now-defunct ferry Esbjerg to Harwich.) We stayed in hotels, pensions and hostels, all of which were booked in advance. We were in Germany around their Ascension day holiday, and would definitely have had problems then if we hadn't booked in advance. We book in advance anyway, because of time constraints and preferring to know that we have somewhere to stay, but I think it would be possible to do this by booking one or two days ahead as you go. There is wi-fi most everywhere, so you wouldn't have to make phone calls in German or Danish.

Denmark is an expensive country for accommodation and for eating out.

As everyone else has said, the surfaces are mostly good, some spectacularly so, long stretches of dedicated tarmac through German forests. Other times there is a good quality compacted surface, fine on a touring bike (or Brompton), but occasionally deep sand and rutted cart tracks. Where we met these we diverted by road. Actually in Denmark we just took the roads anyway, the traffic is very light.

Photos from the whole trip are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/monxton/sets/72157644784653308/
Our tracks are all on Strava, and are public. The final leg is here: http://www.strava.com/activities/149388450, you can probably navigate to the others from there.

Useful resources:
HTH
Rittmeister

Post by Rittmeister »

There is a self-guided option along this route organised by a German company, but sold via a UK one...

http://wheel2wheelholidays.com/tours/berlin-to-copenhagen

It includes luggage transfers, maps etc and bike hire (normally Kalkhoff hybrid type) in the price.
FionainYorkshire

Thanks everyone for all the information and advice re Berlin to Copenhagen - it's really useful for planning. The hotel recommended in Roedvig looks lovely by the way - think I will have earned it by then!

I've added some information below which might help anyone else planning the ride.

I found the following link (after I'd made the initial posting!) which I've added to this resource for completeness.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 285495&v=j

Transport at beginning/end of the trip is proving fun. Not too bad getting to Berlin with Bromptons on the train. We had been planning to return from Copenhagen to Utrecht on the NightSleeper but Deutscher Bahn have just pulled it (along with some other NightSleeper services as reported elsewhere). Looks like it'll be a long day train ride with several changes rather than the rather elegant solution of a night journey. Will then cycle/train to Europort for ferry back to Hull.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You could just get a plane back - sure that'd be cheaper and certainly quicker than your train/ferry option - especially with folding bikes making it easier.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!