Scottish Coast to Coast Annan to South Queensferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
oldmanonabike

Scottish Coast to Coast Annan to South Queensferry

Post by oldmanonabike »

Three of us have recently completed the new SC2C route 121miles from Annan to Queensferry via Peebles and Musselburgh.
We followed the Solway to the Forth using the route map which is available from http://www.chain-events.co.uk/
The map notes say the route follows the Annan Tweed and Esk river valley's with the Southern Upland and Moorfoot hills in between.
While accurate this gives little indication of the nature of the ride.The route wanders along riversides mostly avoids steep hills and most built up areas giving access to some fantastic scenery. Rural roads combined with disused railway lines and promanades give a gentle ride with loads of things to photograph
As two of us, Peter and myself, with a combined age of just under 140 were using our road bikes we opted for the easier route shown on the map from Annan to Moffat via quiet scenic roads. Richard the youngster of the group riding a cyclocross bike would probably have preferred the harder and longer route along the coast road to Dumfries and through the forest of AE to Moffat but we all enjoyed the pleasant quiet ride to Johnstonebridge followed by a short ride on the cycle lane along the old dual carriageway before crossing over the A74 and rejoining the ups and downs of the quiet country road into Moffat about 30miles from the start.
Scones and coffee always feature highly in our rides and we refreshed ourselves in the Rumbling Tum cafe in the main street just because it was displaying the SC2C sign.
Opting to ignore the climb up the A701 we followed the local roads towards the Devils Beef Tub the route weaves through farm lanes before changing into a very steep track of mud and rocks the first and last sections of which can be ridden by a determined man on a cyclocross bike he might also have been able to ride the centre section if he wasn't pushing my bike as well as his own thanks Richard.
The track rejoins the A701near the hill top leaving very little pedaling to be done on the long descent towards Broughton were we stayed for our first night 54miles completed.
The next day started really well, the easy to follow route markings must have lulled us into a false sense of security as we missed a sign at Lyne Station and had to resort to asking a man cutting his hedge for directions soon we were back on track for the not to be missed Railway Tunnel over 500 hundred yards of darkness with a very rough stone surface through which we walked
Our hosts of the previous evening had told us that the tunnel's claim to fame was that during the second world war the Royal train with the King on board had sheltered there overnight.
If anyone else is inspired to do this ride Please look out for my riding glasses which i lost in the tunnel.
The route through Peebles and on to Innerleithen follows a lovely riverside track which was a joy to ride with the lure of Scones and Coffee almost irressistable.
SC2C joins national cycle route 1 from Innerleithen to the outskirts of Dalkeith a long climb for the first half then some fantastic views followed by a long downhill stretch then a departure from route 1 through the delightfull Dalkeith park.
We had arranged to stay in Dalkeith 46 miles from our last stop leaving about 25 miles to complete the ride the following day
The River Esk path leads the way into Musselburgh and onto beautiful coastal paths to Cramond where some care must be taken to follow the signs through the Dalmany estate to South Queensferry and the finish under the Forth Railway Bridge.
This last 15 mile is the most enjoyable coast route I can ever remember riding great views good riding surfaces and lots of Scone and Coffee shops. Having done the Whitehaven to Tynemouth C2C earlier in the year I prefer this SC2C route and we hope to repeat the ride next year.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Paulatic

Re: Scottish Coast to Coast Annan to South Queensferry

Post by Paulatic »

Good to read someone has done the ride. As it comes through my village, Wamphray, I'm hoping to see many cyclists as the years roll on.
Can I ask did you spot the sign to turn left at the crossroads as you cam into Wamphray? It must have been up three weeks before I spotted it and I was looking for it!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
oldmanonabike

Re: Scottish Coast to Coast Annan to South Queensferry

Post by oldmanonabike »

Yes we saw the sign but to be fair the map is clear and we were expecting it to be there.The route planners have done an excellent job in keeping off main roads and
the ride into Moffat was great.
The route could easily be done in two days but we enjoy frequent stops to admire areas we would'nt normally get to.
As you know it is a wonderful part of the country for cycling and the route deserves to succeed
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience