Consent from the Missus

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Farawayvisions

Consent from the Missus

Post by Farawayvisions »

You fancy going on a short tour or weekend away without your wife or kids. You remember fondly how she used to come with you (before children) and now you have a chance to head off with the lads.

Here's what you need to know to ensure you get the 'permission slip' signed. http://www.farawayvisions.com/10-ways-to-get-consent-from-the-missus/

Signed 'The Missus'
Psamathe

Re: Consent from the Missus

Post by Psamathe »

Farawayvisions wrote:Here's what you need to know to ensure you get the 'permission slip' signed.

Does anybody really still live like that in the real world these days ? Horrifically sexist the idea of needing "a permission slip from the missus".

Ian
beardy

Post by beardy »

Only those who are married and/or have children to look after.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

They don't tell you all that on the tv and magazines when they imply married life and kids is great!

I'll stay single for now until the bug for touring goes away.

To go through all of that, in todays age, is unfortunately what some married people may have to do. All my friends and brothers with partners mostly cannot get away!!

I agree with the poster above about todays modern age................
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

You can live in the modern age and still need to have permission to take yourself off on holiday! The blog post is tongue in cheek, treat it as such and don't take it too seriously

Many of the suggestions brought a knowing smile to my face thinking "I've been there". That said, I'll admit that number 11 is the only one I've tried that works with any regularity :lol:

PS. Meraid, for the benefit of us who need to know, you need to get writing the other blog post mentioned in number 8... :shock:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

thats what wild/stealth bike/camping is for? no one I mean no one knows where you are or are going to :D
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I guess it's alright as long as you don't plan on ever returning and facing the consequences :wink:
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Psamathe wrote:
Farawayvisions wrote:Here's what you need to know to ensure you get the 'permission slip' signed.

Does anybody really still live like that in the real world these days ? Horrifically sexist the idea of needing "a permission slip from the missus".

Ian

Maybe Farawayvisions is being slightly tongue in cheek here and is a touch playful with this post?

Either way, it would seem that the other option is to go together wouldn't it?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Yep, we both need permission for away trips. You can hardly just abandon your partner with the kids for a fortnight and not expect divorce papers on your return if you don't do some advance prep. Having said that we both believe the other is happier and easier to live with if they go away ( he goes sailing). My tip would be to make sure the childcare support is planned and scheduled out ( school pick up help and baby sitters for relevant evenings) as opposed to just assuming your partner will cope.

I'm building up for my trans America plans! I'm mostly going to wait until the kids are a little older (teens) so my absence for three months will be less inconvenient.

The worst thing is what hubby and I call the lowest common denominator option . That's where people compromise on what they both can agree on and only that and find that the only option that works for them to do together is watching crappy telly on the sofa on a Saturday night. My kids can be quite bad at this too, insist on staying in and restrict the parents from going out and getting some exercise! Obviously it would be easier if everyone would be more adventurous and try their partners and parents hobbies but being realistic that isn't always going to happen so I like to let my partner spread his wings a bit and do his thing. We do low key stuff together as a family eg going out cycling for the day but if they aren't interested in doing some serious mileage and plodding over some big mountains I get to go and do that occasionally. I was a bit teary when himself went off to do the sailing race from Falmouth to the Azores and I was left with a 3 year old and a baby, but it was brownie points in the bank for me and the girls to go on various cycle trips.

It can be more complicated if your partner doesn't want to go away and do stuff so there's no quid pro quo. Hopefully some treat they like to do though that you can support that can make up for your absence.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

I find being amorous works well. Within minutes she suggests that it is time I go away on another trip with the other old fools. :D
Penfolds11

Post by Penfolds11 »

I was wondering if there will be a corresponding blogpost showing what is needed to ensure a "permission slip' from "the mister" when "the missus" wants a weekend away with the girls. However, talking to my friends it seems we're all just grateful for a weekend of peace and quiet... :wink:

MrsHJ hits the nail on the head when she writes that both parties need permission for away trips. I can understand that the original blog may have been tongue-in-cheek, yet it perpetuates stereotypical sexism unless "the other side" is shown. It would have been a stronger piece had there been "Five Ways for Him and Five Ways for Her" instead of "Ten Ways for Him". Then again, the blog is called Faraway Visions rather than Realistic Views. :lol:

And as I work from home, I already provide options 1, 2, and 3 as a matter of course anyway. 8)
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Penfolds11 wrote:MrsHJ hits the nail on the head when she writes that both parties need permission for away trips. I can understand that the original blog may have been tongue-in-cheek, yet it perpetuates stereotypical sexism unless "the other side" is shown. It would have been a stronger piece had there been "Five Ways for Him and Five Ways for Her" instead of "Ten Ways for Him".

5 for him and 5 for her would be just as open to those same accusations of perpetuating stereotypical sexism. What might really be needed is "ten ways for hypothetical and imaginary (but reassuringly gender-neutral) humanoids..."

Much better :wink:
Farawayvisions

10 ways for hypothetical, imaginary (but reassuringly gender

Post by Farawayvisions »

Bicycler wrote:
Penfolds11 wrote:MrsHJ hits the nail on the head when she writes that both parties need permission for away trips. I can understand that the original blog may have been tongue-in-cheek, yet it perpetuates stereotypical sexism unless "the other side" is shown. It would have been a stronger piece had there been "Five Ways for Him and Five Ways for Her" instead of "Ten Ways for Him".

5 for him and 5 for her would be just as open to those same accusations of perpetuating stereotypical sexism. What might really be needed is "ten ways for hypothetical and imaginary (but reassuringly gender-neutral) humanoids..."

Much better :wink:

"ten ways for hypothetical and imaginary (but reassuringly gender-neutral) humanoids..."

Thank you all for the interesting comments. Always appreciated. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What do you need permission for?
We are happily married, and have been for 41 years this November.
We don't need "permission" to do anything. Neither of us! We need agreement, not permission.

Marriage - or any other partnership - needs agreement for both/all partners to do anything. What's the problem? :?:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I am very fortunate

We have always had a leave difference, where I have a week more

Our "bargain" is that if we need things doing then this is done, but otherwise I have a week to tour.

Trouble is that this is in March which has seen two tours abandoned by blizzards, and others in shorts and a t shirt!

PS I have never ever, and would not dream of bribing the Mother in law to babysit the double glazing / builders whilst I go off on the bike!