ultra light touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
henrik

ultra light touring?

Post by henrik »

hi
i did an ultra light tour for 7 days with just saddle pack last year in spain, with hired carbon bike. i literally had cycling kit and change of clothes which i washed every night.
........has anyone tried it with just a messenger bag?
cheers
Heltor Chasca

Re: ultra light touring?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Respect [emoji41]Pre-20s I could do this. Post-40s I struggle not to spoil myself...hc
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

Lightest I've travelled: few days hostelling in the lakes. It was a good forecast, and half my baggage was food for en-route. Cycling clothes were washed at night, flip flops, l/s thermal and some board shorts for evening wear, bike was still to heavy going over Hardknott and wrynose. :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

that must be the lightest ever touring - share one bike between 2? I suppose you take turns running along side?
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

mercalia wrote:that must be the lightest ever touring - share one bike between 2? I suppose you take turns running along side?

pmsl. he lives in my jersey pocket.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

What was your pack list? Have done two weeks on one pannier, but you look like you took less. Most of mine was wet/cold weather gear for Mountain weather
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

mnichols wrote:What was your pack list? Have done two weeks on one pannier, but you look like you took less. Most of mine was wet/cold weather gear for Mountain weather

Washbag: cut off toothbrush, small toothpaste (shared) two sachets shower gel, moisturiser & chamois cream in drinking straws (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7_aJE4EfIQ)
Clothes: foam flip flops,merino socks, merino ls thermal, pertex windproof, pertex tousers, rohan ultralight briefs, plus the clothes I wore to ride in... shorts, jersey, mesh base layer, merino socks, helmet, shades.

The forecast was good, and we stayed two nights in hostels which provided bedding and towels. I washed my cycling gear in the shower, and dried it overnight.

As mentioned, the majority of the bag was food! We were travelling fast an light, only riding 6 or 7 hrs a day in the lakes, for 3 days / two nights. Bad weather would have made it very miserable.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

henrik wrote:hi
i did an ultra light tour for 7 days with just saddle pack last year in spain, with hired carbon bike. i literally had cycling kit and change of clothes which i washed every night.
........has anyone tried it with just a messenger bag?
cheers

Yes, I did a 7 day Catalonia tour in early September, flying into BCN and hiring a Trek road bike for 60 euros, I no longer want the hassle of flying a bike out when hiring is so cheap. The bike had no carrying capability (I knew this) so I used a Ben Sherman canvas messenger bag that I usually use with my scooter. All that was in it was a phone, multi-tool, 2 x tubes, flip flops, magic towel, tooth paste and razor, sports shorts & t-shirt (for night/bar wear) and food.

I travel light in Spain normally as the weather lends itself perfectly, riding kit can be washed and dried each night.
henrik

Post by henrik »

hi
i suppose what i really want to know how hot ,sweaty and or uncomfortable it could be or not at all. i'll be in spain again.
i took one of those packs that wrap round the saddle stem and throughout the seat rails. flip flops shorts 2 t shirts 2 underpants travellers t/brush, paste and shampoo. all clothes washed with hotel soap. small toolkit and inner tube. that was it really, my phone was my camera and route finder