Short Duration Norfolk Trip - Baggage Courier

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
eileithyia

Re: Short Duration Norfolk Trip - Baggage Courier

Post by eileithyia »

mercalia wrote:
RickH wrote:
mercalia wrote:Heh £370 the people from Suffolk/Norfolk not that silly then. I would only want to spend £100 tops, but then I live in London now and know the value of money when u dont have it.

If you can organise & sell a trip with 3 nights B&B plus luggage transport plus a pre-organised route (so you've already found the quiet roads for folk) & sell it for £100 you could be onto a winner (or have deep pockets). Could you get 3 nights B&B (in separate locations) for £100? Of course you can always camp &/or organise your own route &/or carry your stuff to keep costs down - the choices are entirely yours, subject to what is actually available.

Rick.

I wouldnt pay any one to show me around and wouldnt use B&B. The £370 quoted dont include meals so more like 450!!! I must be cheapskate. I can never see any point in that type of package holiday. Spend £450 on a 3 day cycle ride? Ha! Clearly I dont live in that world.

Me neither, I can have a self guided holiday for a week in Mallorca for that money, but then Chapeau to those who spotted a possibility and exploit it.

To the OP do you really need a few items of kit carried for a weekend, I think back to my YH weekends with CTC and how little I managed to carry, small soap and towel, small bottles of the necessary; shampoo, face cream and armpit deodoriser, change of shorts (cycling longs double as evening wear) change of Helly Hanson vest/T=shirt for evening wear then worn as base layer for next day's ride.... simples.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Well I had three full days away, including ofcourse tea stops and evening pub meals, and even with the hostel cost (£42.00 for two nights) I had change from £150.00. Still felt a bit guilty though as it's still a lot if on a low wage. (Most of us I fear).
MickH

Post by MickH »

@ eileithyia - I've no doubt that I could carry soap, flannel, towel and a few necessaries to get by but I'm a late middle aged chap who likes to have a change of clothes at the end of the day. I've grown used to certain creature comforts so if I could get a bag of stuff reliably moved 20-30 ish miles along the road at a reasonable cost I'd like to do that. I do like the idea of cycling longs double as evening wear - I may adopt that when not cycling :)

@ Pioneer - I had a look at the Wells N-T-S Youth Hostel - it looks really good - private rooms too! My, how things have changed. Like I posted previously, the idea of out and back trips from a single point had not even occurred to me. If I add the cost of a YH to the possible cost of kit transport (£10?) I could probably get half decent B&B.

Sorted.

Thanks to all who have replied.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The sad thing about East Anglia - Norfolk & Suffolk - that that tour company is exploiting is that most of the YHA hostels are gone now - Kings Lynn, Gt Yarmouth, Norwich, Nedging Tye, Castle Hedingham, Colchester & one nameless one west of Ipswich I cant remember name of.

Cambridge, Hunstanton,Wells and Sheringham still there & Blaxhall? thats the lot?
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

That's true, but there at are least three independent's (which many think are actually better than a run-down YHA). The camping barn at Brantham a few miles from me, the Old Red Lion at Castle Acre and Deepdale Backpackers at Burnham Deepdale, also North Norfolk.

I really would like somewhere affordable and relatively basic in the Horning, Potter Heigham area. Spent the first week of this July camping in a great little site just south of Acle. £7.50 a night, third night free if you arrive by bike. I did, no car. But ofcourse, only really any good for something like April to late Sept.
Last edited by pioneer on 3 Oct 2014, 11:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I had a look at the website of the Old Red Lion until I saw the prices - £25-35? out of my league. Castle Acre is a nice little town have passed thru it on my many adventures - I come from Lowetoft ( pronounced Lows-tof for any BBC news readers here ) & had many days exploring East Anglia using the YHA hostels. The rot started with Nedging Tye - an old wooden mill by the river unless my memory is faulty, gone to some rich yuppy no doubt

Yes the region around Horning a good place to explore with all the broads and mini broads.I will have to go back there some time and find some free places to stay ... must be a few
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Mercalia, Nedging Tye, funny my mates were reminiscing about that one on tour. I'm trying to talk some of them into hiring a houseboat for a weekend next spring, either at Wayford Bridge or Hickling and using that as a base.
I stayed at YHA Great Yarmouth about ten years ago (gone now ofcourse). But it was a real dump. That was night one of a tour from there to Hunstanton. Also sadly a bit of a dump. Better now I believe.