Short Duration Norfolk Trip - Baggage Courier

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MickH

Short Duration Norfolk Trip - Baggage Courier

Post by MickH »

Yes, alright, I'm a lightweight, no backbone etc. etc....

I'm planning a long weekend in North Norfolk and would like the convenience of riding between locations without carrying much more than my waterproofs, drinks and the necessary tools/spares in case of puncture/breakdown.

I would like the luxury of having a couple of changes of clothing and my washing gear transported between overnight stopovers. I'm sure I could pay a taxi company to move my bits around, but taxis can be a bit expensive. I've found a few baggage couriers that cover parts of the country, but nothing in North Norfolk. This cannot be a unique requirement; has anyone here experience of this type of service - and can anyone recommend a courier in those parts?

Thanks.
Sweep

Re: Short Duration Norfolk Trip - Baggage Courier

Post by Sweep »

I'd have word with Cameron.

I believe he had a similar arrangement.

Sorry - couldn't help it.

You will doubtless get a more useful reply soon.

Forgive me.
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

AFAIK one way is to post your change of clothes ahead. For a weekend I would have thought that to be enough.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

Baggage courier in North Norfolk... That might be some sort of new fangled foreign type of invention that those suffolk folk use down south. Someone told me that they have only recently refitted the road signs around Walsingham that were removed during ww2 in case of a German invasion!

Ps. I know I've not been any help so I hope someone sensible comes along to answer you soon :)
RickH

Post by RickH »

If you've not already sorted dates & route there's an organised Tour de East Anglia, early May bank Holiday weekend next year (1st-4th May).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

RickH wrote:If you've not already sorted dates & route there's an organised Tour de East Anglia, early May bank Holiday weekend next year (1st-4th May).

Rick.

Heh £370 the people from Suffolk/Norfolk not that silly then. I would only want to spend £100 tops, but then I live in London now and know the value of money when u dont have it.
MickH

Post by MickH »

Thanks
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MickH wrote:I'm planning a long weekend in North Norfolk ...

If North Norfolk is anything like South Norfolk, make sure all the bolts are done up tight on your bike ... ready to be shaken like a mad thing by potholes and badly repaired roads. Same authority so may easily be as bad as South Norfolk. I find I'm avoiding the repaired potholes as well as the many un-repaired ones.

Ian
MickH

Post by MickH »

Cheers Ian. My experience of zig-zagging along my local roads tells me that, before long, the only thing suitable for even commuting will be a full suspension MTB.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

We had our autumn weekend club tour up there two weekends ago. Didn't think the roads were any worse than rural Suffolk. Much less traffic though, brilliant! But if you are only going for a long weekend, is it really worth the logistics of planning baggage transfer and costs involved? Surely can't a small single pannier (there's them on here that worship the cult of the single pannier...) or a saddlebag suffice?
RickH

Post by RickH »

mercalia wrote:Heh £370 the people from Suffolk/Norfolk not that silly then. I would only want to spend £100 tops, but then I live in London now and know the value of money when u dont have it.

If you can organise & sell a trip with 3 nights B&B plus luggage transport plus a pre-organised route (so you've already found the quiet roads for folk) & sell it for £100 you could be onto a winner (or have deep pockets). Could you get 3 nights B&B (in separate locations) for £100? Of course you can always camp &/or organise your own route &/or carry your stuff to keep costs down - the choices are entirely yours, subject to what is actually available.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

One way would be to do day rides from a fixed base. My sis in law has a caravan at Hunstanton so we do this quite a bit. You can do out and back routes in different directions. We've done rides to Wells, the Walsinghams, Castle Acre, Fakenham and Downham Market as day rides. Some nice rural lanes but stay off the main roads and the coast road if you can.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
MickH

Post by MickH »

@Pioneer - Ta. As I won't be in a rush to get anywhere I could drag my stuff around with me - after all it's unlikely to slow me down too much - but it's not my favoured option.

@TrevA - Call me thick, but that's something I didn't even consider! Not only that but you seem to have covered much of the ground I'm thinking of. My base would probably be Wells-N-T-S if I take that option. Simples.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

It's a very good YHA in Wells next the Sea (my favourite in East Anglia if touring solo) or the pub just up the road from the YHA does B and B. Good grub too. We recently stayed at the Old Red Lion independent hostel in Castle Acre. Clean, freindly,got everything you need and a good base for weekend tours.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

RickH wrote:
mercalia wrote:Heh £370 the people from Suffolk/Norfolk not that silly then. I would only want to spend £100 tops, but then I live in London now and know the value of money when u dont have it.

If you can organise & sell a trip with 3 nights B&B plus luggage transport plus a pre-organised route (so you've already found the quiet roads for folk) & sell it for £100 you could be onto a winner (or have deep pockets). Could you get 3 nights B&B (in separate locations) for £100? Of course you can always camp &/or organise your own route &/or carry your stuff to keep costs down - the choices are entirely yours, subject to what is actually available.

Rick.

I wouldnt pay any one to show me around and wouldnt use B&B. The £370 quoted dont include meals so more like 450!!! I must be cheapskate. I can never see any point in that type of package holiday. Spend £450 on a 3 day cycle ride? Ha! Clearly I dont live in that world.