Surly Disc Trucker

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heltor Chasca

Surly Disc Trucker

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've had this bike for about 24 hours and I could write reams on my initial thoughts.

I've got a 50cm "Wolf's Blood Red" Disc Trucker that I got expertly fitted by the guys at Cadence Bikes in Bath. Well worth sitting on a jig and getting the right size. From previous bikes I would have chosen the next size up, but the specific geometry and Cadence's clever fitting sent me one size lower. Surprising, but 100% correct after today's spin.

I took my new rig from where I live in Somerset up the Radstock Greenway through the Bath 2 Tunnels, into town and home again. A decent 30 miler with some small but steep climbs. I loaded the rear panniers unnecessarily to test it out and even on the steepest I didn't get out of the saddle once. Gear ratio perfect. Incidentally I have a front and rear Surly rack which are probably my favourite bits of the bike so far. What's not to like about practical truck accessories? I've also got a decent set of SKS mudguards. Practical.

I'm going to hurt a little as you would expect from a new bike, but I had that genuine, "How did I get here?" experience when I got into Bath. It wasn't particularly speedy but it just seemed relatively effortless. Very comfy and the work:result ratio was brilliant. I'm having a front wheel with a Shimano XT dyno-hub built when it's back in stock and that's going to power B&M lights and a USB port. Handy. For the time being I'm using my Fenix flashlights mounted with some old rifle scope fittings. Temporary but a really good bodge. The rear flashlight has a red filter which I used for ratting, tucking the chickens in at night and owl spotting. Never thought I would use it on my bike but there you go. I'm really glad I had lights: The Bath 2 Tunnels is very dark and today there were thousands (or so someone said) of fun-runners and marathon runners coming the other way. I was pleased not to impale someone on my new Surly. I've got to say everyone was very tolerant of each other today. See: We can share.

I'm going to chuck the seat the bike came with and see what Father Xmas brings. I'm also keen on front panniers when I need to load up or when I'm on the school run. But that's for another day while I sort out a spate of skintness. I'm going to get some black irrigation pipe to protect the racks as it looks like the powder-coating will wear through on the pannier "hot spots" and where my daughter's child seat rubs. I saw a review on YouTube where a guy had developed minimal rust and suggested insulation tape or touching up with paint. I'm a gardener so I like to use gardening kit. Heh heh.

I'm in the traffic all next week on the school run so I'm sure to carry on with the bonding process with this iconic bike. I feel like the only "weak link" in the whole set-up. Am I worthy? I sure hope so because I think I'm going to have this bike a long time..................hc
Cavemud

Re: Surly Disc Trucker

Post by Cavemud »

Awesome.

Might be an idea to wait for father Christmas before chucking the seat, otherwise it might be an uncomfortable autumn!!

I currently have the non disc trucker an am looking for the excuse to upgrade. If they did the disc trucker with as couplings that would be even better.
cnb

Post by cnb »

I have a Disc Trucker (green)..Lovely bike..one of the first things i did was to change the saddle to a Brooks B17. I also added SKS mudguards, Schwalbe marathon tyres 1.75 and front and rear Tubus racks...I've owned and sold a few bikes over the years, This one i'm Keeping..I do like to have a couple of bikes on the go and at the minute i have a Surly C/C frame waiting to be turned into a bike..Good luck with the Truck...
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

The first thing I said when I got the bike was that I'm chucking out the saddle. A year later, turns out it's probably the best saddle I've ever owned.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I have a 26 inch wheel DT in green, built up from frame and forks. I've got a Brooks Imperial saddle and dynamo lighting. I love riding it on tours and have just done my first Audax on it :-)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Good advice on saddles. I'm not suffering by any standard, but such a great bike is worthy of little upgrades. The guys who sold me the bike have just had a staff do at the Brooks factory so I'm sure they'll have some good advice. Gawd help me! Liking the imperial for something different. Wether or not I'll fall down the slit I don't know...hc
cnb

Post by cnb »

The Brooks saddle just makes the bike look classy..And its comfortable..
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Cavemud wrote:If they did the disc trucker with as couplings that would be even better.

Disc trucker deluxe. Nice idea. Go more rough'n ready and you can have the 'World Troller' though.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/world_troller

Looks good.

Or just get them fitted... Seems to me that having them pre-fitted on a semi production bike like this doesn't save much if any money, going by prices I've seen in the past.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

And don't forget Trek now make a disc 520.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Pete Jack wrote:And don't forget Trek now make a disc 520.
Nice in green [emoji6]
gplhl

Surly Disc Trucker

Post by gplhl »

Excellent bike, Jonny and Team at Cadence did a brilliant job of building mine to spec. 26" disc trucker. It's been and continues to be fantastic on my current tour.

Gary
http://www.longbikeride.co.uk
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Nice website Gary. I'm off to get a cuppa so I can peruse it at leisure. I grew up in Africa so it's nostalgic stuff. I love the BMX. When you have nowt it's amazing what will suffice...hc
cnb

Post by cnb »

The DT in red looks better in real life.I don't think the surly website does it justice...Spotted one in Cycle heaven the other day whilst i was checking out one of those lovely(imo) green Salsa Vaya's
cnb

Post by cnb »

Ps..I think putting slightly fatter tyres on the surly makes it look much better.I have put Schwalbe Marathon 1.75 on mine, it just seems to take away that gappy look..
Heltor Chasca

Surly Disc Trucker

Post by Heltor Chasca »

[emoji6]Thanks cnb. I was getting uphill from Mrs HC for having a set of Marathons in the workshop! You've justified my reason in writing! You are right about the colour: it is way up there. My first road bike as a young teenager was a burgundy Peugeot. So I've come full circle...hc