LLC and Wales Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Graham O

Re: LLC and Wales Questions

Post by Graham O »

Well done Matt. Shame the weather wasn't better in the early stages, but I hope you've got some good memories. You'll be glad to get home to Colorado where the gradients are a bit easier.

Graham
chrishally

Post by chrishally »

Can anyone provide a bit of advice on the Cardiff to Brecon leg?? I've seen a lot of info that says NCR8 isn't doable on a road bike. Is it easy to ride parallel to the Taff Trail when the terrain isn't suitable for my skinny tyres???

I've looked through the forum but haven't been able to find anything definative.

Thanks
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

From Cardiff to Brecon on a road bike, you should by and large be fine until Pontsticill - by the reservoirs, the start of the Brecon Beacons. From there, stick on the road from there to Talybont-on-Usk, where you can rejoin the Taff Trail: it's minor roads and good-quality canal towpath into Brecon. Though personally I'd just stop at the Star in Talybont (my absolute favourite pub in the whole of Britain) and give up any ideas of going any further. ;)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides