LLC and Wales Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Graham O

Re: LLC and Wales Questions

Post by Graham O »

At the age of 30, I would have said that you have many more years of touring left in you. :D
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I would love to think so, but my financial situation isn't going to improve anytime soon and then before you know it, I'll be 40! Certainly much harder for me to get fit. Ideally I need to lose 20 or so pounds (get down to around 160) in which case I'd consider myself fit and not lugging around an extra tire or two. A may do a local Rockie Moutain tour next summer...but the climbing involved in the dry heat and carrying camping gear makes me wonder if its feasible.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Two days to go so probably my last post on here. I'll hopefully get my first blog update done on Thursday at some point (all of Wednesday will be traveling, plus the 7 hour time jump thrown in). So...I'm off! Hopefully all goes to plan and nothing unexpected occurs!
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

This is Wales - the unexpected is part of our daily routine, weather included!
The mysterious happens too!
Surely that is all part of the fun of cycle touring. If nothing unexpected occurs, it would be a boring trip. The secret is to go with the flow. Have a great trip!
We are a friendly and helpful folk (for the most part!).
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

And I am off! Embarking in roughly 11 hours and arriving Thursday Morning!
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

And I am in Chester! I start riding in less than 24 hrs.will be updating blog rom here on out.
james01

Post by james01 »

Regarding the weather, you have my sympathies! We're used to mixed conditions even in summertime, but the wind and rain at the moment is unusual (honest :D ).
Edit: just read some of your blog. You're buying bottled water? :shock: Tap water is safe in the UK, and it's free. Ask for it in restaurants and they usually don't charge, but don't let them add ice or lemon etc as this gives them a reason to charge.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

james01 wrote:Regarding the weather, you have my sympathies! We're used to mixed conditions even in summertime, but the wind and rain at the moment is unusual (honest :D ).
Edit: just read some of your blog. You're buying bottled water? :shock: Tap water is safe in the UK, and it's free. Ask for it in restaurants and they usually don't charge, but don't let them add ice or lemon etc as this gives them a reason to charge.

I always seem to get unseasonable weather when I do my cylce-touring. In Ireland, it was the wind and rain - so bad that they couldnt let the cows out to pasture etc because the grass wasn't growing, just getting burned away by the wind. Of course, the weather shifted when I shifted, so I had a lovely headind the whole time.

I am in Brecon now, after a 30 mile ride from Rhayader involving another big hill and the 2nd 25% gradient sign I have seen - the other was outside my lodging in Harlech though I did not have to ride up it!

Glad to finally see the sun, though it takes its time deciding to come out - not until 1AM and I only went on for another hour before reaching Brecon. Did do a little walkaround town but sore legs require rest, especially with my longest mileage day tomorrow - 60 miles including crossing the Beacons! I am honestly a little worried I won't be able to make it the whole way, given how the legs are starting to feel (sore back especially) but will see how the day fares out. Will be a PITA to sort out the lodging situation if I break early.

But - all explained in my blog! Not really sure how many people are even reading but I won't have photos up for another week at the earliest - probably not until next weekend when I am back in the US.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I have a feeling these Welsh 25% gradient signs are a slight exaggeration, based on riding up one of them a few weeks ago (the devil's staircase) which registered no higher than 20% on the basic (possibly not very trustworthy) barometric altimeter on my cateye cycle computer :).

Hope you enjoy your traverse of the Beacons - it's all more or less downhill after you crest the ridge - and looks like the sun will be out.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

mcallaghan wrote:
james01 wrote:Did do a little walkaround town but sore legs require rest, especially with my longest mileage day tomorrow - 60 miles including crossing the Beacons! I am honestly a little worried I won't be able to make it the whole way, given how the legs are starting to feel (sore back especially) but will see how the day fares out. Will be a PITA to sort out the lodging situation if I break early.

In case you read this before you set off...

Following NCN 8, you'll cross the dam of Talybont Reservoir then take the old railway track up the south bank.

When you rejoin the road at the top of the hill, given that you're pushed for time, stay on it past the reservoirs to Pontsticill (where there's a sharp left-hander dropping down below the dam). The two sections of rough track on the official NCN 8 are fun, but they'll wear you out and you've still got all the way to Cardiff to go.

Rejoin the route at Pontsticill and enjoy - it's 35 miles of downhill all the way. Don't get lost in Pontypridd!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
pwa

Post by pwa »

22camels wrote:I have a feeling these Welsh 25% gradient signs are a slight exaggeration, based on riding up one of them a few weeks ago (the devil's staircase) which registered no higher than 20% on the basic (possibly not very trustworthy) barometric altimeter on my cateye cycle computer :).

Hope you enjoy your traverse of the Beacons - it's all more or less downhill after you crest the ridge - and looks like the sun will be out.

I don't trust altimeters on cycle computers. On the Devil's Staircase my ankles (in walking mode) registered a very trustworthy 25%. Between Brecon and Cardiff (at least, on the route I would take) there is just one "get off and walk" incline of about 20% just after the Talybont Reservoir. The NCN8 route across the dam bypasses this. After that the main problems are to do with trying to follow the mish-mash of tracks branded "Taff Trail". Weather today (Friday) set fair.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Well I made it. I was not very fond of the Taff Trail until around 12 miles out of Cardiff. The part that went up through the trees around the reservoir was terrible - logging road more suited to a MTB. It would have been unridable in the rain, I think, so was glad for the sunshine today.

Because of that, I stuck to the roads the rest of the way around the Reservoirs. Including that sharp incline you mention - though I powered through it. It did make me wonder if NCN 8 avoided that down then up bit, but when I saw the turn for NCN 8 taking me back ontro gravel, I told it to sod off..

The Taff Trail was terrible. I to lost in one or two places since the usual fork in the road wasn't marked, had some steep pitches when crossing over the river, and for some reason I had to walk my bike down a long set of stairs despite being on a cycling route. Not to mention more gravel and dirt road more suited to a MTB and a lot of the parts that were paved were really rough or felt like going over speed bumps for miles on end. Things didnt smooth out until about 12 miles from Cardiff.

Also, the gates are terrible. They are either the cattle herding type where you have to slow down only drop-handlebars are narrow enough to fit through, or they are the walking kind, too narrow for a loaded tourer to turn through. I lifted the bike over the lower rung on these (which I think is meant for pedestrians).

Luckily, it was mostly all flat or slightly downhill, so a long day at 55 miles but I made it. I was honestly hoping for a sweeping view of Cardiff or even a view of the castle, but that wasn't the case at all.

Figuring our plans for the weekend now. Quite knackered so dont think I will ride the bike to St Fagans, so will have to see what public transport is like (as an American, I never use public transit so this will be interesting).
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Congrats on making it. You are referring to the bit that went around the Talybont reservoir? I did it back in March in the driving rain, on 28mm tyres, was a lot of fun.. there was a diversion sign back then at the northern end saying MTB's and walkers should follow the track, but road bikes and hybrids follow the paved road.. has it been taken down? I still see some exclamation mark warning signs on the sustrans map of this section.

ncn8-brec.jpg
pwa

Post by pwa »

Find the central bus station (near the stadium and the main railway station) and ask someone about buses to St.Fagans. The buses are well used and are fine. Cardiff is also better than most cities for shopping (if that appeals). And most locals are friendly.

For St. Fagans it might be worth taking a picnic if the weather is good. It is set in pleasant parkland. Once there, it is a very relaxing and soothing place to be, so I would strongly recommend it after your long journey. And it's still free entry.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Looks like its a Cardiff Castle day today. Maybe go see a movie this evening too. St Fagans is only partially operating today (checked the website) so may save it for tomorrow. What else should I think about doing while in Cardiff? Specifically things open on a sunday.