LLC and Wales Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mcallaghan

Re: LLC and Wales Questions

Post by mcallaghan »

I will plan on 3 hours ahead of time to be safe.

Also, I was thinking...on my 3rd day, where I planned on doing a loop on Anglesey, why not take a 34min train from Bangor to Holyhead and ride from the 'official' start of NCN 8? Mileage will be about the same if I also go to Beaumaris Castle too. Looks like there is a 10AM train I could take, which gives me plenty of time to get back to Bangor.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Mcallaghan,

I was out along the coast at the weekend and hope these images will give you a taste of the route:

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Unfortunately, the weather was a bit overcast and cold. I had meant to get some photos on Anglesey, but I needed to keep moving to stay warm. It should be better in July.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Reminds me of my Ireland trip :)

The weather has finally broken here. A second avalanche occurred on the pass over the weekend, but the rain is gone and the temps have swung maybe 10 - 15 degrees warmer, into the upper 60's and low 70's. So nice and warm (of course I have to be inside and work all day). But, I am back on the bike for an hour or so in the mornings. Got about 12 miles and a 1000ft of climbing in this morning on my way to work. Will do more of the same tomorrow. Going to get some proper mileage in this weekend - around 30 miles - which will be about 10 short of my daily average (planned) for the trip.

I must remember to wear sunscreen though - my ride over the weekend got my arms sunburned, mostly on the right side from the grind up the big climb I did. I can't imagine that will be much of a problem in Wales!

Also, the forecast looks good until the weekend where it looks like some T-Storms are expected (which usually means hail for us). So I think on Friday morning (MST -7) I will call Arriva Trains (GMT) and see about booking my train from Cardiff to Chester. Will also inquire about a train from Bangor to Holyhead as well and see if that is feasible.

Also will make a booking with the taxi-company and knock that off of my checklist of things to do before my trip!
pwa

Post by pwa »

If I remember correctly, there is a train from Cardiff to Holyhead that stops at Chester and Bangor. It's a lovely route, best done in daylight to make the most of the scenery. So you could be using the same service for both legs of that train journey.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Reserved my seat and bicycle on the Cardiff to Chester train at 7:30AM this morning. I am a little worried that I have not recieved a confirmation email from them (called Arriva Trains Wales) but I do have the reservation numbers for seat and bicycle. I forgot to ask about the Bangor-to-Holyhead train, but think I will chance it that day (depending on what the weather is like). Can't imagine there will be too much fuss bringing a bike on a two-stop/30 minute journey from Bangor to Holyhead?
pwa

Post by pwa »

The little railway station at Bangor has a very nice traditional railway station café, worth a visit for refreshments.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I may end up taking a train from Bangor to Holyhead and then ride back (pending on what the weather is looking like).

Two weeks out from my cycling start (slightly less for my departure from the US). So getting a little bit nervous. Training hasn't been going well this last week - big thunder storms and rain here in the mountains. This weekend isn't looking good either but am going to do my best to do some 30 mile rides both days.

I will probably post my *finalized* route on here this weekend as well.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

This pretty much my full route as roughly planned on RideWithGPS.

Its not a perfect route and doesn't include my Bangor loop (as I have yet to decide on taking the train to Holyhead and riding back, or doing a loop on Anglesey). Otherwise, thats pretty much my route. I start a week from Friday :shock:
pwa

Post by pwa »

At about 168km on the Machynlleth - Llanidloes road (just before the summit) is a viewing platform on the right, constructed out of local stone to commemorate Wynford Vaughan Thomas, a well known BBC broadcaster from the 1940s -1970s. This spot was his favourite viewpoint in the whole of his homeland. The climb itself is majestic and hard, with unfairly steep bits. One of the best bits of cycling in the UK. Well chosen!
alan99

Post by alan99 »

from Sustrans Cymru Facebook page today:

Pont Briwet, near Penrhyndeudraeth in Gwynedd opens today and NCN8/Lon Las Cymru is back on line. Gwynedd Council have delivered the new road and rail bridge, further details at:
https://m.facebook.com/datblygiadpontbriwetdevelopment

Some work is still on going so please take care when using the route.
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

alan99 wrote:Gwynedd Council have delivered the new road and rail bridge,

But very overdue and very over budget. And without so much as a passing thought for cyclists and pedestrians.
They had the police down there at the opening yesterday. Two cars on either side of the bridge with 3 or 4 officers, perhaps they were expecting heckling. :twisted:
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Much better than the alternative, I would imagine.

So, I posted my 'Full Route' the other day. I will also post the day segments (also on my CGOAB blog).

Here is my tentative gear list - which will be officialized this weekend when I pack:
2 x Short Sleeve Jersey
1 x Long Sleeve Jersey
2 x Bike Shorts
1 x Tights
2 x Short Gloves
1 x Long Gloves
1 x Rain Jacket
1 x Rain Pants
1 x Booties
1 x Wind Breaker
1 x Helmet
1 x Glasses + Lenses
2 x Bike Socks
1 x Bike Hat
(1 x Neoprene Gloves)

3 x T-Shirt
1 x Pants
1 x Shorts (Quick Dry)
3 x Boxers
3 x Socks
1 x Sneakers
1 x Toiletries (in a case)
1 x XC Ski Jacket (warm + light, not waterproof)
1 x Jeans (to be left with luggage)

1 x iPhone (for emergencies)
1 x iPod (for music/sleeping)
1 x Tablet (Laptop, Map Routing, Blog Updates, Kindle)
1 x GPS (route navigation)
1 x GPS AA Batteries + Charger
1 x Digital Camera (Pictures)
2 x Camera Spare Battery + Charger
1 x Sony 'GoPro' Camera (small, lightweight, for video recording)
2 x Sony Spare Batteries + Charger
1 x Small Power Strip
1 x UK Plug Converter
1 x USB Portable Charger

1 x Allen Key Tool
1 x Spare Tube
2 x Bike Lever
1 x Hand Pump
2 x Tail Light
1 x Headlamp
2 x Waterbottle
Assorted Pills (daily multivitamin, Enduralytes, Tums, Sportlegs)
1 x Small Med-kit
boblo

Post by boblo »

Bloody hell OP, this must be the most anticipated trip in the history of the known Universe... :D
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Its going to leave me broke and could well be my last tour. I am not getting any younger (and am broke) so I figured 300 miles at the age of 30, in memory of my dad, is something to get excited for. I like leaving as little as possible to chance so now it comes down to the weather and my legs.