LLC and Wales Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: LLC and Wales Questions

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:The Cardiff to Chester train journey takes you through some beautiful landscapes, and in good weather it is a bit of a treat. Booking a seat is a good idea, but you may need advice on the correct British etiquette should you find someone occupying your seat. You point out their mistake, nicely at first, then you become loud and insistent. I have seen people move the seat reservation tickets, so be prepared for a minor dispute. Look for the guard (or whatever they call them now) if necessary.

Or can just sit right next to them and glare until they move... :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
22camels

Post by 22camels »

Regarding Arriva Trains bicycle space bookings.. I am pretty skeptical that anyone actually gives a toss whether you have a booking or not. I have taken my bike with them a few times both with bike space booked, and without. Typically there are only 2 or 3 carriages per train and, if I'm not mistaken, "officially" space for two bicycles, but I've been on one where four were on - note there is no separate cycle carriage, but a space at one end of one of the regular sitting carriages. I think any train operator here reserves the right not to let you take your bike on, whether or not you have a space booked, but I would be more concerned with that with Arriva than with other more serious companies like e.g. First Great Western who are a bit more organised about it on their long distance trains and have a separate cycle carriage. I try to avoid Arriva but living in Wales it is hard. The trains can get very crowded especially if there is a rugby match on. There can also be delays, also if bus replacements are operating along part of the line, you're screwed. I'd happily take my bike with Arriva again (might do it next week actually) but would allow for slack in my schedule and check for any disruptions on the line in the preceding days.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Arrivia Trains Wales looks to be the only option for me to get from Cardiff to Chester. I plan on calling them to see about reservation tomorrow. My trip is still a little under 3 months away (well, about this time 3 months from now it will be over) so obviously too early to check whether the trains will run on time.

That was my experience on the train in Ireland - it was a 2 or 3 carriage train so I hopped onto the one that had the bicycle sticker on the door, but there wasn't anywhere to put the bicycle, so i half propped it/half held it upright on the relatively short journey. Luckily it was a mostly empty carriage (i was taking up multiple seat spaces) but no one seemed to have a problem with it.

So ideally I can reserve a seat in that last carriage nearest wherever the bike goes.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

there is a separate space for the bicycles on the Arriva trains, sort of like a rack, just it's not very big. Yeah they are the only real option between Cardiff and Chester, though I think you can go with Cross Country to Birmigham, and change to a Virgin train to Crewe or somewhere, then some local train from Crewe to Chester, a direct train is more convenient with a bike.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I can't imagine the train being too full at 9:30 AM leaving Cardiff on a monday?
22camels

Post by 22camels »

doubt it.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Also - trying to figure out when to book a taxi to the Manchester Airport. Everything I am reading suggests getting there 3-hours before your flight for an international flight? That seems an awful long time to me, especially given how in the US with our security they only request 2-hours before your flight. So should I am to get their for 8AM for an 11AM departure?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mcallaghan wrote:Also - trying to figure out when to book a taxi to the Manchester Airport. Everything I am reading suggests getting there 3-hours before your flight for an international flight? That seems an awful long time to me, especially given how in the US with our security they only request 2-hours before your flight. So should I am to get their for 8AM for an 11AM departure?

Where are you reading 3 hours? I would have said that 2 hours is probably enough. Manchester isn't a huge airport, but I also haven't flown through there in some years. What does the information from you airline suggest? Check in time is 2 hours ahead?

Security can be slow at British airports. They make frequent changes to the requirements and equipment, and if a couple of people call in sick or something it can mean long queues (lines).

When I fly out of airports that I'm not familiar with, I tend to be rather cautious. I'd rather sit around an airport needlessly than miss a plane because I was stood in a queue.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I have been quoted 3h check in for flights to US from Manchester. It can get very busy and I often find I need most of 2h even when travelling light. Given your luggage situation I would get there as early as possible.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I am flying United and they simply say that 'some' overseas airports request 3-hrs prior to departure.

My flight is on a Wednesday, which I don't think is a particular busy day for airports (generally). I always like to be early and was planning on 2hours before hand, but I will see what the Taxi people say too.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

On foot, I have often been one of the last passengers to arrive at the airport. With a bike, I try to be one of the first. I aim for 4 hours before flight departure regardless of regulations, it just eases my nerves. You never know what could go wrong with the bike packing and checking in routine. I've flown with a bike 9 times. Maybe when I've flown 90 times I'll start taking more chances.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Vorpal wrote:Where are you reading 3 hours? I would have said that 2 hours is probably enough. Manchester isn't a huge airport, but I also haven't flown through there in some years. What does the information from you airline suggest? Check in time is 2 hours ahead?

Manchester Airport wrote:Here’s a general guide to how early you should arrive:

• Long haul flights – three hours before your scheduled departure
  • European flights – two hours before your scheduled departure
  • UK and Ireland flights – one hour before your scheduled departure
(link)

Although you can get through quicker in some circumstances - my daughter & family went to Florida at the weekend. They were booked on an 11am flight via Philly but it was cancelled. Online info said it was cancelled but the helpline to find out anything further didn't open until 8am, by which time they were supposed to be at the airport. Arriving at the airport for 8am they managed to get switched to (& got onto) the 9:30am flight via Chicago (the airline default was to book them onto the next day's flight).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Fair enough. I did say that I would tend to be cautious going from an airport that I wasn't familiar with. If the airline recommends 3 hours, and the airport recommends 3 hours, then I would be therre at least 3 hours in advance. United can also be a little slow at British ariports. They often share staff with one or more of the Star Alliance airlines. I expect it saves them all money, but on a high volume day, there can be queuing.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I still haven't heard back from the Cab Company. I may place a booking to see if I can get a response that way or try one of the other companies that are on offer (when I google such things).

I will plan on being there 3 hours early on my departure. I imagine road traffic at 7AM won't be too busy.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mcallaghan wrote:I will plan on being there 3 hours early on my departure. I imagine road traffic at 7AM won't be too busy.

It depends on where. Most places are fine at that time, but around the airport could be congested by 8:00 am. I would ask your taxi company when you need to leave, to be at the airport by 7:45 and ask them to collect you at that time. I've had taxis not turn up a time or two, and I've often had them be late. If you'll have you bike with, even if you tell them that you have a bike with, there's a fair chance that something silly will turn up. Or the driver will refuse to take the bike. I once ordered an large car (estate (station wagon) or larger) for a 90 minute drive to a London airport with a family of 4 and several pieces of luggage. What turned up was barely big enough for the family (I don't remember what it was; a Seat or something) let alone the luggage. They didn't have a larger car available (despite me saying it when I booked) so he called a mate who brought our luggage. He only charged us the quoted fare, even though two cars went, but it's not the only time I've had stuff like that happen.