LLC and Wales Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pwa

Re: LLC and Wales Questions

Post by pwa »

Yes,

and I think there are racks near the front door for your steed. The route is very urban so the usual careful but assertive riding will be needed. Gently uphill on the way out.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Yeah. I went to the St Fagan website and followed the 'Getting Here' link. Was surprised the longest section discussed was Cycling there along the Elwy Path. Glad to know that my bike will be safe there.

So now all I have to do is hope for some good weather! Any suggestions for a rainy-day alternative?
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I've also decided to pack my panniers and items into a suitcase. My lodging in Chester will hold onto said suitcase as I will be returning to the same lodging at end of bike ride. This should make travel a bit easier, though I'll still have to lug the bikebox around the airports etc. Will also allow me to bring some extra day-clothes that I can leave in the suitcase so I'll have a fresh pair of clothes for my last day in Chester and the flight home. I won't quite know my packing list until this summer, but since I now have a super light Galaxy Tab S 8.4 inches, I won't need to bring my brick of a laptop...which means I may bring a pair of Jeans with me to change into (especially in Cardiff) along with a light pair of shorts and probably some hiking pants (super lightweight and quick drying).
pwa

Post by pwa »

Actually, St.Fagans is good on rainy days because you can dash from one building to the next. The place is a series of shelters from the rain set in parkland. Don't let the rain keep you away. It's also very wooded, so it feels sheltered from the elements.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Will keep that in mind.

Here is my tentative gear list at this stage. Am I missing anything (important)?

Gear List:
2 x Bib Shorts
2 x Bike Jersey
3 x Bike Socks
Booties
Rain Jacket
Rain Pants
Arm Warmers
Leg Warmers
Tights
Short Gloves
Rain Gloves
Helmet
Sunglasses
Allen Key Multitool
Tire Lever
Spare Tire
Patch Kit
Bike Pump
First Aid Kit
Sneakers
Lightweight Shorts
MTB Shorts (?)
1 x Jeans (?)
Hiking Pants (?)
3 x T-Shirts
4 x Boxers
3 x Regular Socks
Toiletries
Back Pack
Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Camera + Spare batteries
iPhone
Wallet + Passports
GPS + batteries
Converter + Cables + Rechargers
whoof

Post by whoof »

mcallaghan wrote:Will keep that in mind.

Here is my tentative gear list at this stage. Am I missing anything (important)?

Gear List:
2 x Bib Shorts
2 x Bike Jersey
3 x Bike Socks
Booties
Rain Jacket
Rain Pants
Arm Warmers
Leg Warmers
Tights
Short Gloves
Rain Gloves
Helmet
Sunglasses
Allen Key Multitool
Tire Lever
Spare Tire
Patch Kit
Bike Pump
First Aid Kit
Sneakers
Lightweight Shorts
MTB Shorts (?)
1 x Jeans (?)
Hiking Pants (?)
3 x T-Shirts
4 x Boxers
3 x Regular Socks
Toiletries
Back Pack
Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Camera + Spare batteries
iPhone
Wallet + Passports
GPS + batteries
Converter + Cables + Rechargers

I would suggest carrying some travel wash and less stuff. 5 pairs of socks for and 4 boxers for an 8 day tour? I did most of the same route (Bristol to Holyhead) last year and took 2 pairs socks and 1 pair of boxers. If you are riding during the day and only wearing them in the evening for say 4 hours a pair of boxers will last two days. Wash them before you go to bed and then hang them up,pegged to your bike next day they will dry as you are riding ready for the following evening. One pair of light-weight trousers that convert to shorts rather than jeans should do it. Tights and leg warmers?
One thing you might want to add if you are staying in some hostels is a travel towel. I also take a cycling cap good if it's cold under your helmet or in the evenings plus good if it's hot. A buff is also very versatile as well.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Its a 14-day tour (9 days of riding, followed by 4 days off the bike before I fly back) and staying in B&Bs the whole time, thus the extra clothes. I may bring them and decided to leave some pairs in my suitcase at my start/end city (have arrangements with my lodging to do so). But, I have a full weekend in Cardiff at the end of the cycling, then a day involving a 3 hr train ride, then another full day of non-cycling to explore Chester. Which is why I was thinking of taking more off-the-bike clothes so I can be clean and comfortable at the end.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Jeans are heavy, bulky and dry slowly, if they get wet. Thin poly cotton trousers (hiking pants?) are better all round. Or find nylon blend fabric ones and they don't crease much.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I've been looking at Trains, now that I am close enough to my date to be able to purchase a ticket for it.

I've found a Direct (no transfer) train from Cardiff Central to Chester. I see options to reserve a seat (window, aisle, near luggage rack etc) but I see no where to select 'bicycle'.

Now, travel by train outside of Europe is not a common thing. I think I've only been on a train twice in the USA, both times to get to NYC from the suburbs (and not counting the subway). Should I be worried that there is no 'bicycle' option? Is it possible to reserve a seat near the back of the train, closest to the last carriage that, as I understand it, is usually where bicycles are loaded? Or can I hope for the best by selecting 'luggage rack'?
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Only some train booking websites have the bike booking option.

All those powered by 'WebTIS' have the option, which includes any FirstGroup site (e.g. First Great Western), any Govia site (e.g. London Midland), and Chiltern Railways.

Those powered by thetrainline don't, which includes Virgin as well as thetrainline.com itself.

They can all book you on any operator, even if you're not travelling with the company you book with, and the prices are the same (except for thetrainline who have the effrontery to charge a booking fee). I would very strongly recommend that you do indeed make a bike reservation on the Cardiff-Chester train - the bike space is limited and often full.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Emyr Parry

Post by Emyr Parry »

Most of the Train Companies do not allow you to book a bike using their website, but you can do this on the Virgin East Coast Website (don't know if this is possible from US).
You need to buy your ticket & book your seat at the same time as making a bike reservation (Cost is same as all other sites)
The Web address is http://tickets.virgintrainseastcoast.co ... ?WT.z_dr=1

Emyr

Edit: Richard got there first - I would go with his advice!
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Thanks for the speedy response.

I was looking at the TheTrainline.com and had just jumped onto the Arrivia Trains Wales website. According to Arrivia Trains Wales, I would need to call them in order to book my bicycle (which is obviously a bit tricky, as I am 7 hours behind GMT). I may use Skype and do that tomorrow though - at least I imagine being able to talk to a person might enable me to book a seat as close to the bicycle-carriage as possible (with a Window seat...its not often you get to travel the Welsh Border by train). Looks like a solid 3 Hour train ride too, I am now debating if I want to get up and going on the 9:21 AM train or the 11:21 AM Train. Decisions decisions!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Have to admit I'm half expecting Virgin to change the East Coast booking system over to the Trainline one of these days!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mcallaghan wrote:Its a 14-day tour (9 days of riding, followed by 4 days off the bike before I fly back) and staying in B&Bs the whole time, thus the extra clothes. I may bring them and decided to leave some pairs in my suitcase at my start/end city (have arrangements with my lodging to do so). But, I have a full weekend in Cardiff at the end of the cycling, then a day involving a 3 hr train ride, then another full day of non-cycling to explore Chester. Which is why I was thinking of taking more off-the-bike clothes so I can be clean and comfortable at the end.

I would not carry so many clothes. Even with some days off the bike, I would not carry many non-cycling clothes just to avoid carrying the extra clothes. You can always wash some stuff in the basin (bathroon sink) at the B&Bs you stay at.
Also, dual purpose stuff is handy for things like that. you have hiking pants (BTW the words pants is only used for underwear in the UK, so those are hiking trousers) on your list. If those can be used on the bike in a pinch, I might not take tights. I certainly would not carry jeans and t-shirts and things. My clothing list usually looks like

-3 pairs of cycling shorts (including one pair of MTB baggies)
-2 cycling jerseys
-1 long sleeved top (dual purpose; this can be a base layer or pub wear in the evening)
-1 thin wool sweater OR or a winter jersey (this is also dual purpose, as it is an extra warm layer on or off the bike)
-shower proof hiking or golf trousers (also pub/evening wear)
-1 or 2 pairs of underwear
-4 pairs of socks (all or some wool)
-rain jacket & trousers
-hiking shoes (I cycle in these)
-sandals

I might also take a spare t-shirt. I would not probably not take tights or leg warmers, plus two pairs of trousers. I certainly would not take both tights and leg warmers. I take the same amount of clothing whether I am going for 4 days, or 15. I always take 3 pairs of cycling shorts for anything more than two days, though. That way I have one on, one clean & one drying. Many peole think two pairs are enough, but it's not always possible to find drying facilities, and they may not dry overnight. Damp cycling shorts are just yuck. I left women-specific stuff out of my list, on the basis that you don't need it.

I also would not bother with a backpack, unless you are planning to use it only in Chester? I do sometimes carry either a waist pouch (I won't go into the language difference about what to call them :lol: ) or a small camera bag, with a shoulder strap. Otherwise, I use pockets. A backpack is a lot of something mostly unused to carry around with you, but I can see that it might be useful for day trips off the bike.

The other non-clothing items are fine. I usually carry a bungee, some cable ties and a couple of velcro strips or straps from old-fashioned toe clips. They are good for temporary fixes, securing things, etc.

I would also take one or two quick drying (microfibre) travel wash cloths. Hotels and B&Bs in the UK don't typically provide wash cloths (flannels). If you take two, you can use one for personal hygiene, and one for drying your hands after using a water bottle for washing, or cleaning up after a repair, or something. Some people carry wet wipes, or something like that for that purpose.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

The Cardiff to Chester train journey takes you through some beautiful landscapes, and in good weather it is a bit of a treat. Booking a seat is a good idea, but you may need advice on the correct British etiquette should you find someone occupying your seat. You point out their mistake, nicely at first, then you become loud and insistent. I have seen people move the seat reservation tickets, so be prepared for a minor dispute. Look for the guard (or whatever they call them now) if necessary.