LLC and Wales Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mcallaghan

Re: LLC and Wales Questions

Post by mcallaghan »

I will be certainly be playing it by ear. Depending how I am feeling etc I may end up doing a 30 odd mile loop out onto Anglesey and not go all the way to Holyhead. I am hoping I'll be in fine shape and will be able to take my time - looks like lots of little hills along the way.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Don't miss Hay on Wye and the nearby Gospel Pass, a mainly single track road that is said to be the highest pass in Wales and is a great favourite with cyclists. From there down to the camp site near LLanthony Priory (pub food nearby).
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Will take a look at both and see if I can schedule them in.

Now, my next question is a tricky one.

How safe is my bicycle if I chain it up near Conwy castle and go for a walk around? It'll have two Panniers on the back and I'll take the handelbar bag with me (with my camera/valuables) but is it safe/smart to find somewhere public to lock up the bike and go off for an hour or two into the Castle? I am thinking I will do this sort of thing a few times over my trip. But I am a little concerned over coming back to my bike and finding my bags missing.

I am not worried about my front wheel - you need an allen key to take it off (its not a quick release) but more concerned about the bags on the back. I have no idea if there is a bike rack (or something similar) near the Castle.

Any help or insight would be appreciated!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I haven't been to Conwy Castle, but often at places like that, it's okay to leave panniers with reception.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Good to know. Perhaps I will shoot them an email and see if that is the case.

EDIT:

Anglesey - this is the big question mark for me right now. I really don't fancy riding 60 miles as an out-and-back - so what are the 'areas' to see?

I want to start off by going to Beaumaris Castle...but thats basically 6 miles in the wrong direction sort of thing. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6881027 Thats the plotted route also going to Holyhead, but I am not really looking forward to that part.

I can live with out going to Holyhead - Chester to Bangor more than makes up for the 25 miles from Bangor to Holyhead I would be missing.

I suppose I could make a beeline to Holyhead and back - and see if I have time to go to Beaumaris Castle. Might not have time to go in, but can at least get some pictures of it.

So - looking for route suggestions or should I just do the beeline to Holyhead and back?
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

If you are not really keen on going to Holyhead, then don't. It has a long breakwater, Irish ferries and not much else, plus a direct line to there doesn't take in the best of Angelsey. South Stack cliffs are about the best feature in the area.
For a nice 40 mile ride, how about http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/759994 . This takes in Beaumaris plus the quiet backroads, a great traffic free lane across the Malltraeth marshes (great wildlife plus a cafe near the end), great views of Snowdonia and then back along the Menai Straits to Bangor.

Just a suggestion.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

That track looks about the same as my one. It may miss out on some of the best bits, but it's the right length and takes in the real "essence" of Anglesey. You should enjoy it.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I think the only difference is that I extended down the cycle route through the forest at the southern most point...onto the 'Lon Las Cerfni' route.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Vorpal wrote:I haven't been to Conwy Castle, but often at places like that, it's okay to leave panniers with reception.

Yes, my bike has been locked up inside several castles. Just talk nicely to the staff. The hill near Conwy castle is ferocious!
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

mcallaghan wrote:I think the only difference is that I extended down the cycle route through the forest at the southern most point...onto the 'Lon Las Cerfni' route.

Newborough forest is worth a detour and if you fancy a walk, Llanddwyn Island (the bit sticking out SW from the forest) is nice with great views of Snowdonia.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Anyone know where I can find a copy of this book? http://www.amazon.com/Lon-Las-Cymru-Off ... +las+cymru

Amazon says it is out of print, nothing on the Sustrans website...and I seem to have lost my copy. I found my Sustrans maps, but strangely that book is not where I thought it was.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Going to tear my room apart this weekend in search of said book.

So I'm thinking that since I have 2 full days in Cardiff, I may pull a Bangor and do a day-ride - anyone have any recommendations on a loop starting and finishing in Cardiff?
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you are at all interested in culture, history and architecture the Museum of Welsh Life at Saint Fagans, to the west of Cardiff (get a bus from the centre) is a must. It has a traditional indoor museum, which is good, but most of it is set in parkland. Old buildings have been brought from all over Wales and rebuilt there. You walk around the parkland from one building to the next. The farmhouses, terraced houses, shops, a chapel, a church, a school, etc are all open for you to walk around. It will take you hours to get round. Traditional breeds of livestock graze the fields in between. If the weather is good it is a great place for a picnic. Oh, and it is free to get in!
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I think I will go to St. Fagans.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6940368

Very short bike ride there, so can leave my Panniers at the B&B and just pack a light backpack for my ride over there. Better (and cheaper - its free) than taking a bus or a taxi!