LLC and Wales Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Graham O

Re: LLC and Wales Questions

Post by Graham O »

Can't recommend anywhere further down in Mid Wales; it's all great cycling with some nice little towns and villages. For your day on Anglesey, the west coast is some of the most beautiful with wonderful beaches and bays. Can recommend Newborough, Aberffraw, Rhosneigr, Rhoscolyn and the very busy Trearddur Bay. East coast not so good, but the North is rugged, albeit not so accessible. There are also two tidal churches on islands in the Menai Straits, west of Menai Bridge and Porth Cwyfan west of Aberffraw. If it sounds like I love Anglesey and cycling over there, it's because I do. A wonderful place.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Its the one place I was thinking of skipping, but I think I'll do a bag-less ride to Holyhead and back to Bangor. High mileage doing that, by the looks of things, but I've got the time.

I am hoping to do a lot of riding this summer out here in CO - mileage is hard to come by though, as no matter which direction I go, I have at least a 1000ft climb (and starting at 8,000ft, its hard enough to breath as it is). BUT it should get me in shape (lung wise)...I'll have to figure out how to do something longer than 30 miles without having to do 12,000 ft of climbing too.

Its looking most likely that I'll be in Chester on the 23rd of July. Day 1 of riding will be the 24th of July. I will post my finalized route here in the next week or so - once I buy my airplane ticket and lock in my dates (I will then be able to lock int he B&B dates too) - so if anyone is in the area around that time of year and would like to join me on the various segments - be my guest!
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

Whilst I understand your desire to "pile on the miles" you should be aware that there are "things!" on Anglesey that really should be seen.
There are, all over the island, many interesting buildings and much history.
On the west coast there are two extremely fine and impressive neolithic burial chambers, Barclodiad y Gawres and Bryn Gelli Du.
A quick internet search will tell you much!
They are a view into a far distant human past and endeavour, both in striking locations, and you will not forget them if you should find the time to visit them! Happy trails.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I saw many such things on my Tour in Ireland. Lots of monolithic round forts seemingly in some of the more random places.

My family ashes are spread on a hill south of Chester that has one of the earliest monolithic forts - right on the edge of a cliff - though the name of said hill escapes me at this moment.

My trip is now booked - July 23rd, 7AM arrival in Manchest. I am now going through the process of reserving B&Bs along the route. some minor issues with that, but apparently I am grabbing the last room in a lot of places. Must be a busy time of year but that is fine with me - fingers crossed for some good weather.

Its too far in advance to book my train ticket from Cardiff to Chester - still not sure if I need to reserve a spot for my Bike on that train.
Also too early to know whether the Porthmadog Bridge will be open to crossings or only trains by the time I get there. Not that a pound and a half is much to pay for a train ticket, but it seems rather silly to have to ride a train for 1 minute to cross a bridge to the other side! I could probably wade the river faster!

Looks like I will also have the first 2 days of August (a weekend) to explore Cardiff on foot. Should give me enough time to visit some museums and the Castle. Anyone have something in Cardiff I should not miss while visiting there?
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

mcallaghan wrote:Not that a pound and a half is much to pay for a train ticket, but it seems rather silly to have to ride a train for 1 minute to cross a bridge to the other side! I could probably wade the river faster!

It depends on a couple of factors like how much it has rained and whether the tide is in or out. :D
I really hope the bridge has re-opened by then. It will be over a year behind schedule.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I think I saw a picture of said bridge on a newsite. It looks like its only about 20 yds long...all the more perplexing as to why its taking so long etc.
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

It's more than 20 yards nearer a hundred.
As to why it has taken so long, well our local Gwynedd Council Highways Department had some hand in it all, so that explains a lot.
They are professional incompetents - I exaggerate not.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

That typically seems to be the case when local government dips its hand in the jar.

I am going to finalize my route in the next few days then I will post it in its entirety here. I'd like to hear thoughts on it at that point along with any suggestions in regards to alterations. Looking to keep things around 40 - 50 miles a day.

Also, any recommendations on places to see in Cardiff?

EDIT:

Proposed Route:

Day 1 - Chester to Rhyln - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6853922 -36 MILES
Day 2 - Rhyl to Bangor - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6853985 - 41 MILES
Day 3 - Bangor to Holyhead to Bangor (no bags) - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6854031 - 56 MILES
Day 4 - Bangor to Harlech - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6854043 - 48 MILES
Day 5 - Harlech to Machynlleth - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6854075 - 36 MILES
Day 6 - Machynlleth to Llandrindod Wells - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6854078 - 47 MILES
Day 7 - Llandrindod Wells to Brecon - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6854092 - 43 MILES
Day 8 - Brecon to Cariff - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6854140 - 52 MILES

Total Miles: ~360
Total Elevation: ~19084 FT

Day 6 diverts due to availability of B&B in area. May adjust route to stick closer to NCN 8 into Newbridge, and then take 825 up into Llandrindod Wells. Adds about 6 miles overall. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6854498

Thoughts? Suggestions? Corrections?

Also, thanks for all the helpful feedback thus far!
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Day 1 where you turn left onto the coast road (just before 32 on your map) I would carry on straight onto NCN 5 and cycle on the bike path. It's wide, flat and runs along the beach. That coast road can be very busy in the summer.

If you do join it -

Go straight on where I said, over the railway bridge and almost to the security gate of Haven Holiday Park
Turn left here through a gate type thing (can't remember what they are called)
Then you are on a cycle/footpath which goes through the golf course, keep going right the way through
After leaving the golf course go straight on a till you reach a junction (at this junction, the coast road is right there on your left) but turn right and keep following NCN 5. Go past pontins on your left and at the end of the road (where it bends left) turn right into a car park, up a little slope and join the beach. Turn left at beach (you can't go right) and you can stay on this all the way.

Sounds complicated but all sign posted and I found it easy without looking at maps.

Edit:

Day 2: Can't work out what is going on at the number 6 on the map, looks weird. Just stay on the coast road, don't come off at the fair.

Dave
Emyr Parry

Post by Emyr Parry »

Also, any recommendations on places to see in Cardiff?

St Fagans National History Museum
http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/stfagans/

The Museum at St Ffagans (free entry) is one of the National Treasures of Wales. It is largely an outdoor museum situated in parkland, where vernacular buildings from all parts of Wales have been dismantled and painstakingly (stone by stone) re-erected on the St Ffagan site. The building cover all periods in our (human) history, from neolithic to peasant/agricultural to industrial and modern times.

I strongly recommend a visit, and I find it fascinating even on repeat visits, - but it is a couple of miles outside the city centre, so you would need to take a bus/taxi to get there if your bike is not to hand.

Cheers

Emyr
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

I have quickly looked athe Angelsey day and Harlech to Machynlleth day. Others on here know the N. Coast better.
I am an old fashioned map user and I would find the new GPS type navigation a distraction, all those instuctions!!!; but clearly it may suit other folk.

Harlech to Mach is ok,there are various little alternatives I might personally use but broadly the route keeps you on some nice dedicated bike tracks and through great scenery.

Anglesey is another matter. Is the suggested route really along the A5?
There are far nicer minor roads out to the west with the added plus of being close to the sea and beaches at times(assuming reasonable weather). Being a map user I would be temped to rip a pages out of a decent road atlas they are really very cheap. Even better buy the Ordanance Survey 50:000 sheet of all Anglesey; it is a thing of great intrinsic beaty in it's own right and incredibly detailed and useful. Also available online of course.

What the digital mapping lacks is places of interest (or perhaps I am too old and stupid to see them) and as I said earlier some of those places really are worth a look.
All IMHO of course
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

For some reason, various spots on ridewithgps don't follow the shown path. It won't let me map it, despite the bike path being clearly shown. Looks like Day 2, point 6, is one such instance. I didn't realize at the time of plotting that it had done that error.

In refards to Anglesey - no. That A5 is my roughly plotted route to get to Holyhead. I had to keep an eye on mileage - I've had some debilating muscle cramsp in my thighs (both thighs, same exact spot) at 40miles the last few times I have hit that distance. Very strange, if you ask me, that it occurs at exactly around 40 miles and prevents me from being able to walk for 24 hours or so. I am attributing it to the fact that I am not as fit as when I was younger AND the general lack of miles I've ridden in recent years. My trip to Ireland I kept my average mileage for the day around 40 miles. The two days I hit 50+ miles, I had to stop frequently over the last 10 miless to stretch my legs and shake-it-out, sort of thing. This summer, I plan on hitting the bike hard - but as I've mentioned before, there is no easy 40 - 50 mile ride out here. This is the easiest ride over 4 miles out here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6861952 - so as you can see, 25 miles downhill, followed by a 25 mile uphill ride of about 1000+ ft. No such thing as flat or rolling hills where I live. The next easiest ride out here goes up 2000+ ft over the first 10 - 12 miles, before turning around at the top and riding back down. Oh - starting elevation for both rides is around 8,000 ft...so talk about sucking wind!

/rant So thats why I've plotted some of the routes the way they are. I am not concerned about hills or their steepness (riding at sea-level is so much easier than riding at 8,000 ft) and I had no problems with them in Ireland either -even the day I did Gap of Dunloe and Molls Gap back-to-back (Caha Pass wasn't hard on my lungs either). Its more about the mileage than anything for me (at this stage). Now, if I can get some good miles in this summer...that may change...and doing little excursions will be something I may add onto my routes.

I do mostly follow NCN 8 on the way back from Holyhead (back to Bangor) and I will be riding without all my gear (other than raingear) that particular day.

Like I said - I am quite open to suggestions as far as better paths on the route!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Id second the suggestion of St. Fagans, and would throw in the suggestions of the Castle (and castle Coch which you'll pass on the route in, the bay is nice, and if you've got time the museum is supposedly great (lived in Cardiff for 10 years and never went in so honestly cant say myself!). Other than that, if you just go for a wander round the centre make sure to head to the Victorian shopping arcades rather than the big modern ones. Much more interesting shops and much nicer looking. I particularly like getting a capital hogie from the New York deli in the high street arcade. Troutmark second hand bookshop is a bit of an Aladdin's cave as well.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Leave yourself a little time to wander around Hay on Wye, especially if you like cafes and bookshops.

http://www.hay-on-wye.co.uk/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

With regards Anglesey, I wouldn't be too concerned as long as I was on the old A5, not the current dual carriageway. It's at position (mile?) 9 that the track takes you onto the dual carriageway. Go across the roundabout and you'll be on the old A5. Some traffic, but can be deserted at times.