LLC and Wales Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Graham O

Re: LLC and Wales Questions

Post by Graham O »

The highest profile bike shop is the Bike Factory in Boughton, http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/755534, but I've had mixed experiences in there. They principally want to sell bikes, but for spares, obscure things they had, common things they didn't. I have no experience of Edge Cycleworks due west and Dave Miller cycles further west. The best in the area is Graham Weigh in Shotton which is outside Chester and just over the border in Wales. You'll almost pass it on day 1.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Thats pretty much what my search showed up. The Dave Miller website doesn't work, so I'll get in contact with the other two and see what they can offer. Looking to stay in a B&B close to the center of town, in order to revisit it on foot (don't think I've been to Chester in nearly 20 years - my grandma used to live there before she passed away). The one in Wales will be a bit hard to get to upon arrival in Chester.
don1

Post by don1 »

It's out of the way a bit but Cheshire Oaks cycles near Ellesmere Port is a decent shout.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I need a place within walking distance of the center of Chester, since it will be my means of travel.

Going to go through my planned route and adjust for B&Bs....got to keep it around 50miles a day.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Alrighty. Looking at two different dates to do this trip. Either End of June/First week of July =/= OR =/= End of July/First Week of August.

Is there much difference in weather? I suppose it probably doesn't make that much difference to me - I did spend a few weeks in May cycling in Ireland, where it rained all day virtually everyday I was there, and was about 55'F too. So I can certainly deal with that sort of weather - but, having never been to Wales, is it just as wet and cold? Or worse?
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Certainly in North Wales, June can be a bit hit and miss. 50/50 chance of good weather or cool and damp. July is when the weather settles, but last August was cool, verging on cold some days. Traditionally June is a good month, but in recent years, the summer has shifted to be more July - September.
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

End of May and the beginning of June are IMHO the loviest time of year. The last two years they have, broadly speaking, produced fine weather too :D .
The midges are not really in gear and the new fresh green of the woods plus all the flowers lifts the spirit.The sea is still rather cold though.
August is often unsettled and quite wet and the roads are at their holiday traffic busiest.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I'm leaning more towards a July 22nd thru August 7th trip right now.

Gets me there after the Royal Welsh Fair is done (so shouldn't have too hard a time finding B&B's etc). Also gives me the chance to get some local rides in (we still get snow etc through May out here).
IanH

Post by IanH »

I'd suggest the opposite tack and take the time to visit the Royal Welch Show! I went last year (with my bike) and stayed in a small camp site about 5 miles from the Show. Spent all day, watching all the best from Welsh agriculture, plus an aerial display (Spitfires) and the Royal Horse Artillery. The Show web site lists all the local campsites and I secured a pitch just the week before - £20 for 3 nights. I also toured the reservoirs up near Rhayader, so it was time well spent.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

It is tempting, but I am trying not to have to carry camping gear (have to take into account luggage restrictions for the flight over there, and the desire not to have to carry all that extra weight on the bike, etc) and will be priced out of B&B's during that time period.
beardy

Post by beardy »

July 22 puts you in school holiday time.

There are always advantages and disadvantages for any dates.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

The Royal Welsh Show is 20-23 July, which is also the start of kids summer holidays in the UK.

Busier and more expensive.

Dave
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I'd be arriving on the 23rd (overnight flight) and would be in Chester. Possibly 2 days in Chester, but would be hitting the road into Wales on the 24th or 25th, so wouldn't hit the 'hot spot' around the Welsh Fair until nearly a week after it finishes.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

When the Royal Welsh Show is on, much of Mid Wales gets gridlocked with traffic and unless you are going, it's best to keep clear of the area. Yes, late July/early August is summer holiday time, but for much of Wales, the roads are pretty quiet if you are away from tourist hot spots.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Thats what I am figuring - I don't get to the UK until after the festival, and won't be hitting midwales for a few days after arrival.

EDIT:

Day-Off suggestions, anyone? It looks like I can (technically) take 2 days off on my trip. One day will be spent in Cardiff, I imagine. I'll have the day I arrive in Chester free, and the day before I fly back free in Chester too.

So - anyone recommend a good place to take a day off at along my route? Either some small excursion to go visit somewhere? I am including in my route a bag-less day from Bangor, riding out to Holyhead before turning back to Bangor (to officially start the LLC). So I am looking for recommendations as far as a good place to take a day off.