LLC and Wales Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mcallaghan

Re: LLC and Wales Questions

Post by mcallaghan »

The link works fine. Thats a nice little climb right there.

So - right now planning for worst case scenario for my trip (which is probably what will happen). AKA my mate in Esher isn't around to join me on the tour.

I am hoping to use a CTC-Bag for the bike so that when I arrive in Heathrow, I can literally assemble the bike and load the panniers on straight in the airport. Now the question is how to get to Chester...whats the policy with fully loaded bikes on the underground etc?

Alternatively, I am looking at flying into Manchester instead and probably riding from the Airport down to Chester and spending the night in Chester. I would take a train from Cardiff to Manchester Airport. That seems like the much easier way to do it.
don1

Post by don1 »

If you fly into Manchester then the train from Manchester airport to Chester is about 1.5 hrs. About £20 one way.
If you have a spare day, you could always cycle from the airport to Chester via the trans Pennine trail.
davetb

Post by davetb »

The diversion, for the Brewit bridge, should be finished (fingers crossed) by the time you do your trip. Otherwise train is a good idea every 2hrs with space for 2 bikes. The other alternative is up and over through Rhyd (which is steep) but a nice drive, I haven't ridden it but many do:o)
Have a nice trip, I will wave if I see you go past our door:o)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A thread about options at Porthmadog...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89071&p=806175
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Fingers crossed indeed.

Having trouble deciphering where this Peninne Trail is? Its not clear to me on the OSM map. Nothing quite near the airport that doesn't do a circular loop.

The hard part will be getting back to Manchest from Cardiff/Chepstow.
pwa

Post by pwa »

A few years ago I camped in a very pleasant field on a farm near Brecon. I paid the farmer £4 and he gave me and my son the choice of several quiet, empty fields, and the use of his farm yard tap and toilet (basic but okay for one night). I found the farm through a website, probably a link from the Brecon Beacons National Park. It had a good list of farms happy to take small numbers of tents for a few quid. I can't remember the details, so you will have to do some searching.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

The farmer's field at Llanthony Priory is nice. Don't know how busy it gets in the summer, but 3 quid/person. Stayed there ten days ago. It's next to two great pubs and some ancient ruins, very scenic.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Sorry, forget my earlier post. I can no longer find a list of farmers willing to take tents on a casual basis. But you might consider just turning up at a farm in a quiet location and asking. Farmers in mid Wales are generally friendly and helpful people.
don1

Post by don1 »

mcallaghan wrote:Fingers crossed indeed.

Having trouble deciphering where this Peninne Trail is? Its not clear to me on the OSM map. Nothing quite near the airport that doesn't do a circular loop.

The hard part will be getting back to Manchest from Cardiff/Chepstow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420884392.328933.jpg

From Manchester airport, aim for Altrincham/Oldfield Brow. Google maps tells me it's about 7 miles.
See the pic. The trans Pennine trail is the dark green line that extends to the left through Dunham Massey. This is the old disused Altrincham-Lymm railway route. From Lymm it takes you towards Warrington and then through the outskirts of Runcorn.
From Runcorn, I then went via Frodsham to my parents in Ellesmere Port.
However, if aiming for North Wales, I'd recommend heading for Chester, as there is a nice sustrans route that you can take up that takes you towards Deeside.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

From Manchester Airport, for a more scenic route, I would head west past Tatton Park (great cakes in the cafe) to Great Budworth, Comberbach, north of Weaverham, Delamere forest, Manley and then into Chester on the signposted cycle route. This takes in some great Cheshire countryside and is mostly on quiet roads.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:Sorry, forget my earlier post. I can no longer find a list of farmers willing to take tents on a casual basis. But you might consider just turning up at a farm in a quiet location and asking. Farmers in mid Wales are generally friendly and helpful people.

Or you can try http://campinmygarden.com/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

So I think if I fly into Manchester, I will take a cab to get into Chester. Will probably be pretty knackered from 15hours of travel so will consider Day 1 to be a rest day, let me get my gear and bike sorted out etc.

I am still 50/50 on Camping Gear. Will save me money on lodging (at least 1/4 the price of a B&B) but then I'd have to also find breakfast everyday, and be carrying that much more gear with me. Decisions, decisions!
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

mcallaghan wrote:I am assuming this is the route to take?
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6794707

Yes, that's the right route, if you decide to ride it.

If you need any help, feel free to PM me.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Anyone have any familiarity with LBS in Chester? Its looking like Day 1 will be spent in Chester after an early arrival, and I'd love to get my bike checked out after being on a few different planes to make sure its all in working gear. Preferably a pretty nice LBS where getting it checked out during the day won't be a problem. Planning on using a CTC Bag to pack the bike (so just pedal removal / handlebars sideways) but would rather be safe than find a problem halfway through the ride.