LLC and Wales Questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mcallaghan

LLC and Wales Questions

Post by mcallaghan »

Hello!

This years plans fell through, so I am planning (and committing) to a tour next summer, 2015.

Overall plan is to ride the LLC from Holyhead to Cardiff, starting from Chester (taking the NCN 5 to Holyhead). I'm overseas, but a childhood friend who will hopefully accompany me on this trip is based in London, and its generally much easier for me to fly to London. So we'll take a 2-hr train up to Chester and start our tour from there.

I was/am planning to do this during the last 2-Weeks of July. Researching campsites right now and have come across an interesting dilemma - The Royal Welsh Show. It seems like all the campsites in Mid Wales require multi-night bookings for that time period.

Should I go the first two weeks of July instead? How crazy is this Royal Welsh Show thing in mid-wales? I would direct my question to a Welsh cycling forum, but such a place does not exist! (Unlike the helpful Irish Cycling Forum i found for my tour last summer to the Emerald Isle).
Emyr Parry

Re: LLC and Wales Questions

Post by Emyr Parry »

The dates for the Royal Welsh Agricutural Show are July 20 - 23, 2015. Campsites in Rhayader and Builth Wells will be hopelessly full during that time. However, if you start your trip in Chester that week, surely you will not arrive in the area of the RWAS until the following week. By then there should be no problem.
welshwoodsman

Post by welshwoodsman »

I cycled llc north to south a few years ago whilst the royal welsh was on. Couldn't get anywhere to sleep until I was almost in brecon. Felt like Joseph and Mary. No room anywhere. There's always wild camping?
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

This is for the 2014 show: http://www.whitehousecampsite.co.uk/Roy ... _Show.html

I imagine it will be similar for 2015?

So they somewhat book out a week long period, which would more than likely conflict with my dates of travel. Especially since I'll have 2-days in MidWales and the other campsite I looked at also only does multi-night stays during the Show.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I suppose we could go wild camping.

It looks like we'd start our tour around July 18 or 19th. 8 Days of riding would put us in the Bullith Wells area (where the Fair takes place) around the 24th? Does have me a little worried at this stage, so may move things to the middle two weeks instead to play it safe?

Also - anyone ridden the NCN 4? Thinking of riding it from Cardiff to London (3 days) or the vicinity -wherever my mate is living these days. Was wondering if its worth it or if we should just take a train back.
raybo

Post by raybo »

I didn't like the diversion after Porthmadog. You won't either.

There is a train that spans the river where the closed vehicle bridge goes. That train is currently running over a completed bridge. I arrived at the station minutes after it left (I wasn't even aware of it until I got to the diversion). I have no idea where it goes or stops, but if it stops on the other side of the river, I'd try to arrange my exit from Porthmadog to meet the train and take it over the river instead of riding the A roads that make up the diversion.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
honesty

Post by honesty »

raybo wrote:I didn't like the diversion after Porthmadog. You won't either.

There is a train that spans the river where the closed vehicle bridge goes. That train is currently running over a completed bridge. I arrived at the station minutes after it left (I wasn't even aware of it until I got to the diversion). I have no idea where it goes or stops, but if it stops on the other side of the river, I'd try to arrange my exit from Porthmadog to meet the train and take it over the river instead of riding the A roads that make up the diversion.

It runs every 2 hours and is something like £1.20 across the bridge to the station on the other side.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

It's been discussed on here extensively, but your day 1 route from Chester to Prestatyn climbs the hill out of Bagillt which is horrible. Can I suggest that after Connah's Quay, you leave the coast road at Oakenholt and head up to Connah's Quay Road and then into Northop. Just after the crossroads in Northop, there are a number of lanes which head up to Rhosesmor and although there is one very steep bit, it is short and you'll have the benefit of great views along the Halkyn Mountain. (And the Bluebell pub in Halkyn is worth a visit for the ales and ciders.)

After Halkyn, turn left to Windmill and go straight across the crossroads to regain NCN5 and go past my house :)
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

What route did you take? 2 hours is an awful long time to have to wait for a train to continue the journey. Or are there other options for crossing in that area? The route I plotted seemed the most direct route for getting around the close bridge.

I take it that they're still doing construction on the bridge? Might explain why I was unable to plot a course over the bridge on RideWithGPS (and why NCN 8 disappears on that section too on same site).

I'll also revisit my Day 1 route and make recommended adjustments. Seems odd to be that the NCN route would go up such a dastardly climb?
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

mcallaghan wrote:
raybo wrote: Seems odd to be that the NCN route would go up such a dastardly climb?

I think that part of the route was put in by a non cyclist. The route along the coast is slowing going ahead, but access issues are slowing it down. However, the route over the Halkyn mountain has great views over to the Pennines, Lake District, Isle of Man and Snowdonia, so it's not all bad.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Re Bagilt Hil

Its a sustrans route and therefore the criteria is put bikes where motorist wouldn't choose to drive,even when legal, as here, it has nothing to do with suitability for beginners or experienced weak riders (me). Hell this route is outright danger outs as its so narrow - plenty of impact debris (mirror casings) on the two occasions I did it. I prefer the coast road and that's not for the faint hearted either!
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Here is an amended Day 1 out of Chester, based on the advice in this thread:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6286072

Not knowing the streets like a local, thats the best I could come up with trying to follow directions - correct me if I am wrong anywhere! (Or create the route yourself :P)
raybo

Post by raybo »

mcallaghan wrote:

What route did you take? 2 hours is an awful long time to have to wait for a train to continue the journey. Or are there other options for crossing in that area? The route I plotted seemed the most direct route for getting around the close bridge.

I take it that they're still doing construction on the bridge? Might explain why I was unable to plot a course over the bridge on RideWithGPS (and why NCN 8 disappears on that section too on same site).

I rode the signed diversion following the 2 A Roads you have in your route linked above. My stopping place that night was Dolgellau, so I didn't have 2 hours to wait for the train. Had I know about it, I would have adjusted the time I doddled in Porthmadog to catch it.

There is no reason to ride on bike-unfriendly A roads when a 10 minute train ride (if that) is available.
Last edited by raybo on 8 Jan 2015, 1:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Alternative start to Day 1 created with Bikeroutetoaster

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/735840

I've not tried to publish a route like this before, so let me know if it works.

There's no easy way onto the mountain, but this is the best in the area.