new to touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
neil ry

new to touring

Post by neil ry »

HI all,
I have a ridgeback 8 speed hybrid,with all eyelets for touring,
with a few tweaks will this be suitable for touring?
it also has eyelets on the underside of the down tube top end just behind the front wheel what would these be for
Thanks
pjclinch

Re: new to touring

Post by pjclinch »

It should be fine for touring. Bearing in mind folk have successfully toured on penny-farthings, that your hybrid isn't a "proper touring bike" is really not an issue. You may find yourself walking up nasty hills towards the end of the day, but that's hardly the end of the world, and you might find yourself taking the odd walk with 27 gears anywy. Tweaks needed will be sufficient luggage space, assuming you don't already have it, and while mudguards aren't essential they do tend to make life more comfortable on wet roads. Toe cages or clipless pedals make long distances a little easier, but again you can live without them.

The extra eyelets are for an extra water bottle cage, assuming you (a) want one and it (b) fits.

The main thing, and the most difficult thing, you need to go touring is the resolve to get on and do it. Once you're on your bike with a target in front of you it's "just" a case of turning the pedals until you get there. If you stick at it you can tune the kit to your own preferences over time, but to just get out touring you don't need any special kit.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The main thing is that the bike is comfortable; it needs to be. Other aspects are mostly fixable as you go.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Depends on what sort of touring you want to do. If a moving-on tour staying at hostels or B&B's then you don't need to carry too much stuff, so a couple of panniers will suffice. If camping, you need to take more stuff, so you may need the ability to add front panniers and a front rack. i have the fittings for an extra bottle cage under the downtube but don't use it. If camping, it can be a useful place to keep a fuel bottle or extra water bottle.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
neil ry

Post by neil ry »

Thanks for the responce's.
my bike has eyelets for all including the forks for panniers(it was the postion, of the one's on the downtube which threw me,but don't think I need the extra bottle)
starting on short uk and European tours,on 700c wheels,i using the one's that came with the bike before upgrading to handbuilt ones .
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

just dont over do it dont get too ambitious. allow lots of time and assume you will ride slowly.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

It will be fine. Ps I've cycled camped quite a few thousand miles (summer) with a hybrid and never needed front panniers.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

neil ry wrote:Thanks for the responce's.
my bike has eyelets for all including the forks for panniers(it was the postion, of the one's on the downtube which threw me,but don't think I need the extra bottle)

If the eyelets are near the bottom bracket, they will be for a bottle cage, if they are higher up, they will be for a crudcatcher type mudguards
neil ry

Post by neil ry »

Thanks Andrew,
they are higher up that's why couldn't figure out what the where for,as the one I had on my trek was held on with straps.