tablet for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cunobelin

Re: tablet for touring

Post by Cunobelin »

al_yrpal wrote:I quite like using the Kindle on my phone. Its quite useable, but, I don't suppose its available on an iphone?

Al

Kindle is supported across the IOS spectrum
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have used either the Ipad or the IPad Mini for touring.

I use it for a series of tasks:

Photos - direct transfer via Wifi
Notes and Emails
Reading
Navigation and route planning
RonK

Post by RonK »

al_yrpal wrote:I quite like using the Kindle on my phone. Its quite useable, but, I don't suppose its available on an iphone?

Yes, I have it on both my iPhone and iPad Mini.

Even better than Kindle is Audible.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
RickH

Post by RickH »

I got an Asus Fonepad (which is similar to the Nexus) so I didn't need to carry a separate phone. There is a newer model but I've not really investigated it. It does look a bit odd if you use it as a phone up against your ear but you can always use a handsfree to avoid that.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Got the new Which mag today. The Hudl is recommended as the best cheap tablet. At only £99 its a bargain.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
robing

Post by robing »

al_yrpal wrote:Got the new Which mag today. The Hudl is recommended as the best cheap tablet. At only £99 its a bargain.

Al

You can get a refurbished one off eBay for £59. At 350g though it's quite hefty.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm not very tech savy but I saw a Peli case in an outdoor shop today and thought that could be handy. I also am getting a quote to have a Surly with a USB connection/charging facility via a dyno-hub on my next bike....hc
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

robing wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Got the new Which mag today. The Hudl is recommended as the best cheap tablet. At only £99 its a bargain.

Al

You can get a refurbished one off eBay for £59. At 350g though it's quite hefty.

A Nexus 7 is 60g lighter, so not really here or there if you want that larger screen size than a smartphone can offer.

Apropos of nothing we have a Hudl coming from the Tesco Outlet at the moment. We had issues with a couple of the very early ones that had screen touch blind spots, but I think that's all fixed.
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

A second hand Asus 7 is the way to go: 11hr battery life!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pandaz wrote:A second hand Asus 7 is the way to go: 11hr battery life!

Dwarfed by the Yoga :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bonefishblues wrote:
robing wrote:

Al

A Nexus 7 is 60g lighter, so not really here or there if you want that larger screen size than a smartphone can offer.

Apropos of nothing we have a Hudl coming from the Tesco Outlet at the moment. We had issues with a couple of the very early ones that had screen touch blind spots, but I think that's all fixed.

Yes, 60g! Amazing what folk will apply the weight weeny thing to. And where does all that saved/shaved 60g come from - for all I know it's the bleeding battery!

sorry robing, but I find this weight obsession thing plain crazy - I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that there are folk who head down the butchers and are offered £10's worth of their meat of choice and snap up the 500g rather than 750kg pack as the must-have meat accessory. I eat way more than 60g of pasta in a single sitting. And if I announced that I'd lost 60g of weight in my new fitness regime folk would just roll over and laugh.

Your comment wasn't apropos of nothing bonefish - I didn't know they had sorted the screen touch issue. Are you quite sure?

I liked the bulk/tough feel of the original - it felt pannier friendly. Am worried that they will lose this travelling advantage on the Hudl 2.
Sweep
robing

Post by robing »

All this extra weight adds up! The Hudl is pretty robust but quite thick. I don't need a rear camera, gps, or even bluetooth on a touring tablet.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think people have recommended good tablets and alternatives to take touring.

All tablets have the features you don't need, AFAIK, so I suspect you're looking for a product that doesn't exist, or if it did, it's long been superseded.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Sweep wrote:Your comment wasn't apropos of nothing bonefish - I didn't know they had sorted the screen touch issue. Are you quite sure?

I liked the bulk/tough feel of the original - it felt pannier friendly. Am worried that they will lose this travelling advantage on the Hudl 2.

Think so: http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/tab ... creen-fix/
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Personally not worried about the weight of a tablet vs the weight of a phone. The thing that puts me off carrying a tablet when camping would be:

The difficulty of charging it. I had a dynamo charger on my old tourer but am now committed to the idea of carrying Teknet battery rechargers, these weigh quite a lot and I would need considerably more charging capacity for a tablet.

I can carry the phone in the transparent map window on top of my bar bag and operate it there too. Its protected from the weather and can be fed from a teknet within the bar bag. If necessary I can run Osmand continually to give turn by turn navigation instructions, and/or see exactly where I am on OSM. A tablet wont fit.

However I might consider taking a tablet along if I was cc touring.

My phone is an HTC One S. Because its now free of contract I have looked around to see if there is a sensible replacement. The bad news is all decent more modern phones are considerably larger and don't fit in a trouser pocket easily, and, except for the Moto G are all eye wateringly expensive! Its difficult to understand why the latest phones mostly cost more than £500 when they can make a Hudl with 95% of the functionality for £99!!!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......