Rear rack safe on Fixie axle?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Fixie_Pixie

Rear rack safe on Fixie axle?

Post by Fixie_Pixie »

I just need some help with a few things, I'll try to keep it short.

I'm riding to France on my own in about a week, for a week or two or three if I like it.
Never done any touring before. I used to work as a courier though which explains my first problem.

My only bike is a Fixie (Condor Pista) with horizontal dropouts, no eyelets, but it is drilled for a rear brake. It's got two part track nuts, not a quick release. Will it be safe to attach a rack to the rear axle? It seems like strongest/best place to take the weight. My concern is the rear wheel getting loose and killing me.
And if it can be done, is installation similar to qr skewers? Just widen the hole to fit bigger axle?
Also recomendations for racks would be good, I think I'm taking panniers, Tubus Fly is pretty sexy.

I'm going to start a new thread for my really stupid questions.
foxyrider

Re: Rear rack safe on Fixie axle?

Post by foxyrider »

don't even think of trying to adapt to fit on your axle, just buy a pair of P clips, about £3, job done
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Fixie_Pixie

Post by Fixie_Pixie »

I've seen them but it doesn't seem as strong. And I'b be worried about stressing my seatstays.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Stressing the seat stays? How much weight are you planning to take? :shock:

P-clips should be fine, or the Axiom Journey Uni-Fit http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Rear_Rack comes with loads of fittings and claims to carry 50kg (also available in much-dearer cro-mo steel).

If you really don't fancy it, some seat post racks like http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... p_DLX_Rack claim to go up to 15kg, rather than the typical 10. Still much less than 50, though.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Fixie_Pixie

Post by Fixie_Pixie »

Yeah I've seen those adapters for qr skewers but a fixed axle is wider and held in place by nuts.
What I need to know is if anyone had adapted on to fit a Fixie or if it would be safe (if it would affect the track nuts)?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Look at all the old 3 speed hub bikes from the 50/60/70s and the rear carriers all fitted to the axle. Not a problem. In those years I did this many times with 3 speed hub or with fixed.

If I wanted to do that I would not drill out a modern rack, there is not enough material on most, I would simply make some adaptor plates. Or even buy them from freshtripe http://www.freshtripe.co.uk/freshtripe/ ... 10mm-3.jpg

Having said that, I assume you are credit card touring not kitchen sink camping, so I'd go with the others and say use P clips.
climbingsidrat

Post by climbingsidrat »

I'm in a similar position. I'm riding a charge plug ( stop laughing is my first fixie sspeed) and doing the c2c next week. I was looking at racks but eventually went with alpkit luggage. Is worth a look, soft luggage that fits onto the frame. I'm using the tail pack that holds enough kit for credit card touring for three days including associated spanners. The frame bag looks good too. Just Google them. It's an option although I'd recommend packing as lightly as possible and weigh your expected luggage to see how much you're carrying.

As an example I cycle commute on a Brompton with 10kg front and rear and that's tools. keep in mind 25kg is around the max for air travel allowance. You will likely need considerably less.

Also check the lfgss forums (Google is your friend) I got a lot of good advice from there about touring on a fixie.