Red Loon?!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikina

Red Loon?!

Post by bikina »

No, not me (I'm blonde!), but bike panniers - has anyone ever used this brand before? I can only find them on Amazon and eBay so am a bit dubious, but the reviews are positive. I've got an Amazon voucher (£100) which I want to buy touring panniers with; plan is to do the British cycle quest and the Danube, plus a few other longer, more arduous tours in the future - so looking for durable and decent bags. Ideally at least one back pannier (I have one, but open to buying a pair if necessary) and a handlebar bag with map case, both to convert in to bags - i.e. have straps for carrying when off the bike. im not keen on having 3 panniers on the back (left, right and top) unless I can fit a tent and sleeping bag in them, with enough room for everything else! Currently i use a makeshift pannier (old rucksack) , a "real" pannier and I pop a tent in the middle on top where a top bag would ordinarily go. I like ones with lot a of useful pockets so am not an ortleib fan (shock horror!) Red Loon seem to tick all these boxes but I'm wary. Advice? Suggestions? :-)
foxyrider

Re: Red Loon?!

Post by foxyrider »

Not heard of them - most likely issue will be with attaching to your rack, cheap bags usually means low quality fittings, often difficult to fit with potential for failure and no chance of repair. Lots of pockets lots of wasted space and added weight.

Something like the Ortlieb back rollers and organised packing (there are various packing cell options available or make your own) will for most people work better than pockets if they try it. I have one 'cell' for toiletries, one for first aid, one for cooking kit etc. all inside, all easily identifiable. Better for security, finding stuff and keeping stuff dry - outer pockets on lower priced bags rarely offer that.

On my recent tour in Germany i think the ratio of bags used was something like 7 Ortlieb / 2 other rolltop bags / 1 cloth bags, rucksacks etc - most of the riders were not German but from across not just Europe but north america too. I had a day on the Danube when it tiddled down all day so waterproof is good whatever time of year you are riding!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bikina

Re: Red Loon?!

Post by bikina »

Thank you for your reply. A bit off topic, but How did you find the Danube? It's been a dream of mine for years to cycle that route so would be fab to hear about it!

I am going to have a look at some ortleib panniers today; I have also been suggested Axiom grand tourer bags - have you ever had any experience with these?