Monarch bike regs.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bigjim

Monarch bike regs.

Post by bigjim »

Booked a flight with Moanrch with the bike.
Just noticed in their regs. They ask for tyres removed! Never seen that before. Anybody come across this or had it enforced?

http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/baggage/sports-equipment-charter
Vantage

Re: Monarch bike regs.

Post by Vantage »

Surely they're confusing wheels for tyres?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

Don't worry about wheels or tyres.....concentrate on whether you will fly. Monarch are in serious financial trouble. Apparently the Mantegazza family have refused to put more money in.....PwC is standing by to take it into receivership.

Sorry to be mentioning this.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

chocjohn9 wrote:Don't worry about wheels or tyres.....concentrate on whether you will fly. Monarch are in serious financial trouble. Apparently the Mantegazza family have refused to put more money in.....PwC is standing by to take it into receivership.

Sorry to be mentioning this.

No worries what will be etc...
They are still taking bookings for 2015. I'm flying in the next couple of weeks. Seems they are consoliating though, especially with possibly moving out of LBA.
I can always cycle home.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

To answer your question, no I have never come across this, I suspect that it is probably an error.

If you read the first part of the rules, it says tyres deflated.

The second bit with the * says tyres removed. I suspect this is a typing error.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Never had a problem with Monarch when flew... we used a set of 'bike covers' from Decathlon, set them up on the floor, wheeled bike on top (instead of dropping over the top of the bike), pulled bag up around the bike and taped it up..... Do not try to take the gaffer tape on to plane in your hand luggage, leave a gap, take a piece of tape off the roll, drop roll in thru gap, and tape up...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Also noted this in their blurb:-
"Passenger should take out additional insurance for the item(s) as Monarch Airlines does not accept responsibility for loss or damage."
:roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.