short tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

short tour

Post by honesty »

Weather is nice and I have left over holiday days to take from work. I was thinking about doing a short 2 day tour preferably ending back home, or ending early enough on the 2nd day to get the train home and be back before 8pm. 1 night staying at a camp site as a first attempt at camping touring and to test out my stuff.

I was thinking about getting the train to Brokenhurst and cycling back, but trains look to be a pain, and I cant work out a decent route home. I'm currently considering getting the main line to Plymouth, and coming home from there, staying over outside Okehampton on the first night.

Any other suggestions?
foxyrider

Re: short tour

Post by foxyrider »

Where you are based might help with advice - Somerset covers quite an area!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Ah. Taunton. That would have been useful...
PH

Post by PH »

I don't know, but this website will find you a pleasant route between Brockenhurst and Taunton (Or just about anywhere else)
http://cycle.travel/map

Sometimes I like the idea of riding to and/or from home but you do end up spending a lot of time on familiar roads. I think for such a short break I'd be tempted to get a return ticket somewhere not too far away but that i didn't know well and do a circular route.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

I live near Brockenhurst - lovely cycling in the forest and across heather downland if you can avoid main tourist routes (obviously!) The road out to Burley and then Ringwood via Rhinefield ornamental drive with its deer park and Arboretum is especially nice. Beautiful open moorland north of Ringwood. Going the other way towards Lymington there are stretches of coast road up on the cliff tops overlooking the Isle of Wight all the way to Christchurch, into town of Bournemouth and then across the ferry at Poole in to rural Dorset. Enjoy the trip whichever way you go.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Get youself to exeter on a train, then cycle up on to Dartmoor, once you get onto the platue (1400') the hills are'nt bad, the scenery will blow your mind and you can hop from pub to pub, I am assuming that your on a road bike :?: If you had the tyres then that opens it up for some real exploring :)
Still plenty to see from the road and plenty of open land for wild camping. The wheather is good but friday brings some rain I think.
maybe to adventurous for you, but this place was my first cycle touring trip. Just two panniers 35 kgs with food and water incl bike.
Attachments
DSC00194.JPG
DSC00102.JPG
DSC00236.JPG
LOOKING TO EXETER
LOOKING TO EXETER
LOOKING TO PLYMOUTH
LOOKING TO PLYMOUTH
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.