Trail A Bike For Tourer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heltor Chasca

Trail A Bike For Tourer?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Result! (I think) I have sat on this for a while and a few ideas have been bandied around, questions asked and answered by both Burley and Surly. A Moose rack may not work on a Surly DT so neither camp want to offer any rock solid guarantees such is the legal climate these days. Hurumpf. However by grinding down the size of the Piccolo tow hitch by 8 mm, lengthening the Surly rack stays and fitting a small steel plate to the quick release mechanism on the Piccolo I think I'm in business!

A rack would cost £50 and it could be hopeless. Some longer stays including postage will cost £12. All the other bits will be recycled from bits I have lying about.

I'll keep you posted. All I have to do now is wait for my daughter to grow 3 inches. Job done. Maybe...hc
Heltor Chasca

Re: Trail A Bike For Tourer?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413638665.240782.jpg
What do you think? Finally the trailer-bike is compatible with my Surly Nice rack thanks to my clever engineer neighbour. I've finished up refurbishing this old Burley Piccolo.

Who can spot a cheeky bit of fraud going on in this picture?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Hope you both enjoy it.

Nice bit or re-branding on the trailer bike :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ianpallen

Post by ianpallen »

Hi, I have just read this thread and I am doing the same but I am changing the tag along into a pannier carrier. TYo hitch it on my bike, I have to raise the seat but that is uncomfortable for me so I have made a rack hitch with a seat post that I had laying around.
I can lift the bike up with the post as it is. The trailer bike is being delivered next tuesday. It should clear the panniers on the bike.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Good thinking Ian. Clever and simple.

To be the devil's advocate: I was surprised at how much lateral force there was (pressure from the left & right) once my daughter was "on board". We had to come up with a Mark II version to keep the hitch still. It was flexing the rack stays to a point where eventually, through metal fatigue, they would have given up. Just something to check.

That sorted we have had some great trips out. It is also the daily school run transport. Life is tough huh? :D

Good luck with it................hc
ianpallen

Post by ianpallen »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Good thinking Ian. Clever and simple.

To be the devil's advocate: I was surprised at how much lateral force there was (pressure from the left & right) once my daughter was "on board". We had to come up with a Mark II version to keep the hitch still. It was flexing the rack stays to a point where eventually, through metal fatigue, they would have given up. Just something to check.

That sorted we have had some great trips out. It is also the daily school run transport. Life is tough huh? :D

Good luck with it................hc

Good point in the weight from swaying. The tag along I will be getting will have the saddle, handlebars and bottom bracket removed. I will be fitting two racks to it for panniers. I will also look into making another more stronger bracket for it. I will see about putting a plate across and bolting it in place for the extra support.
Thanks for the heads up. :wink:
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

ianpallen wrote:Good point in the weight from swaying. The tag along I will be getting will have the saddle, handlebars and bottom bracket removed. I will be fitting two racks to it for panniers. I will also look into making another more stronger bracket for it. I will see about putting a plate across and bolting it in place for the extra support.
Thanks for the heads up. :wink:

Cracking plan!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415895370.025908.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415895346.096807.jpg

Part of my plate (obscured) grabs onto the rack stays which are 100mm apart and the outer plate lip is stabilised by the outer-most rack bars. I quite fancy changing it into a trailer once my daughter had finished with it! I'll treat it to a new BMX wheel though....hc
ianpallen

Post by ianpallen »

That is something like I was imagining. How have you attached the pivot part to the plate. I see there are bolts for a plate under the pannier bars, The pivot bar attached to the plate, is it a set of front forks cut down ? I think I have an idea of using some front forks I have. The inner paer of the forks where the handlebar stem fits into can hold the hitch that normally goes on the seat post. :wink:
Heltor Chasca

Trail A Bike For Tourer?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

The pivot part is a Burley Piccolo fitting but you are right it could be made from an old headset if you can weld the 't' bit that you bolt to the trailer. The plate that wraps round the rack is bolted to an aluminium block that came with the trailer. That then is bolted to a block under the rack which clamps the whole lot together. I have packed it out with rubber air hose to stop any squeaks and rattles but mainly to protect my Surly racks...hc

Edit: If you want more photos just shout
ianpallen

Post by ianpallen »

I wont need to weld a 'T' bit. The clamp from the tag along hitch will clamp onto the old forks part. The tag along will hitch to the hitch as it should. Photos will describe better when I get the tag along on Tuesday.

Now, do I use pannier bags or get a couple of samsonite suitcases and bolt them to the pannier racks so the lids are outwards. They would be a bit like hard cased panniers. Might be too heavy. :?