Cotswold Line

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
stu1102

Cotswold Line

Post by stu1102 »

The Cotswold Line cycle route is a stunningly beautiful cycle ride. I tackled it last Thursday in one day cycling from Worcester to Oxford

The route designers have really done an outstanding job in taking the route through some of Britain's finest villages accompanied by the pastoral colours of the countryside to finally end up In Oxford. The route itself is well described here : http://www.cotswoldcycling.com/

Having ridden the route my thoughts are:

Signposting for most of the route varies from outstanding Worcester-Pershore, Oxfordshire areas and beyond to non-existent Evesham-Honeybourne. That said I always regard the Sustrans signs as long lost friends as they have enabled me to introduce a lot of people to cycling and it was a pleasure to follow these newly minted signs.

Pershore

I used the GPS route on Richards site and the descriptions therin for most of my planning; http://cycle.travel/route/cotswold_line. Where the signs diverged from the GPS route I always adhered to the GPS route and encountered no problems.

Lunch at Kingham Village Green

The memories of cycling on this route will be etched in my memory for ever, from the majestical start alongside Worcester Cathedral to the peaceful tranquillity of the quiet roads and then entering beautiful villages with simply stunning architecture was a delight.

Chipping Camden

A fine pub :)

The start at Worcester Cathedral

One of the highlights for me was to have birds of prey (Red Kites, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, Kestrels etc) keeping a watchful eye on me as I made my journey to Oxford a truly moving experience

My resting place for the evening Keeble College Oxford where a fine dinner awaited and then finally to bed

A lot of Oxford Colleges do bed and breakfast, Jesus, for example http://www.jesus.ox.ac.uk/visitors/bed-breakfast Keeble also does B & B as does Christ Church etc. Generally this is only available whilst students are not at College

A wonderful cycle ride and route

The Great Western train service from Oxford (which stops at the principal villages on route) is outstanding
Last edited by stu1102 on 16 Sep 2014, 7:55pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ambler

Re: Cotswold Line

Post by Ambler »

Thank you.
Nice write up.
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

Thank you for the write up. I think I've found next years trip just need to decide 3 days solo or 5 with my daughter.....
Si

Post by Si »

Looks great. Really quite fancy having a go. But, like Howard, am wondering how many days.....entirely possible to do it in one but there seems so much to stop and see that three might be more appropriate.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Howard, Si

Your right, 3- 5 days would make a lovely tour. I think riding Worcester >>>Oxford appears to be better as there are some lovely descents

To be honest 1 day is too short. There were many areas I would love to have explored en-route (Charlbury, Kingham, etc etc but I needed to be in Oxford on the same day :(
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

That's brilliant to know about. I'll be living in Long Hanborough soon and having a route which passes through the village will be a great way to start exploring a new area.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Really glad you liked it - definitely brought a smile to my face reading this. I'll pass on the link to everyone who's been involved!

We're working on Worcestershire County Council to get the missing section from Evesham to Honeybourne signposted. But I see from the sixth pic you found your way through no problem. :)

Richard (Sustrans ranger at the Oxfordshire end of the route)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

keep up the great work Richard, already planning another ride on the route with my wife

Just like the Col d'' Galibier everyone should ride the Cotswold Line once :)
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Cotswold Line Part 2

My wife was keen to see the villages I had passed through on my first trip along the Cotswold line route so we tackled the route fro Honeybourne to Charlbury on Sat 12th Oct. The extra photographs dont seem to be able to capture the big skies and landscapes that capture the eye and arrest progress seemingly at every corner.

The route is peppered with extensive pubs, cafes etc' this one in Chadlington is recommended; http://www.cafedelapost.com/

Below are a small section of the same my wife took on her phone.